Elna Silmic II EOL announced

Account Closed
Joined 2010
It was all about rebranding industrial grade caps for audio anyway.
Use long life electrolitic capacitors from any reputable manufacturer.You won't be able to hear the difference.Comparing elna silmic or nichicon muse with 1000 hours 85 °C caps never went in favour of the 1000hrs caps and that's mostly due to the leakage currents not some fancy audiophile magic tech.Try the 5000...12000hr industrial grade caps from any company instead!You won't be dissapointed.

Reactions: 3 users
dreamth have you ever A-B'd capacitors ? they often sound significantly different, you are either deaf or have never tried. Silmics are very good indeed, that's a real shame. I have two players and A-B and unless I am deaf or dillusional different caps make a noticeable differences in the audio and PS

I like Silmic II's in a lot of places in audio devices

Reactions: 1 user
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Maybe I'm deaf...but I know that willingly or unwillingly biased people do tell lies about their audio experiences and many are afraid to double check their partial results.Try good quality industrial grade caps then talk about it! On the other hand a schematic that's dependent on cap magic qualities is not designed properly. I use nichicon muse and panasonic bipolar caps extensively in my analogue mods, but I hardly recollect making the circuits sounding better than when using cheap but oversized voltage caps. I only find these caps useful in preamps as they look awesome...
I can only have fun when remembering Jan's surprise when he saw tantalum caps coupling the input of his all time favourite mc cart sony preamp he used and reveered for decades...but technically speaking it was a simulated fun as I knew for a while tantalum caps populating some of the best preamps ever made used by famous artists...

Last edited:
I simply fit them leave them to operate for 100 hours or so have an impression then A-B with another unit. I can’t always A-B exactly but can compare to stock before and after

I do genuinely think Silmics are good I don’t feel the same about Nichicon FG’s for example

Also I don’t think people are as deaf or as easily mislead as you might believe

or we should all just listen to the kitchen radio. We all have expectations when we listen to a product, component or frankly anything else. Maybe I’m negative and have a revised expectation bias. But I’m usually dissatisfied and disappointed not blown away or impressed and often go backwards

Hello in my experience, I started to recap vintage devices with audio grades like the Silmic 2 and I was not convinced of the audio result. I then switched to high quality low esr capacitors in the 8000 to 12000 H under 105°C, for me it was better even if I didn't do an ABX test either! Finally I discovered organic polymer technology, great durability, very low esr, the audio result seems really good to me! more and more audio devices are using it now.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice caps, if a bit large, but no nicer than the right industrial grade parts properly selected. IMHO, listening, changing a part, then listening again, is a useless way of determining anything. Sound memory is notoriously bad. Also, few people test, so the parts compared are rarely the same, even for basic things like value and dissipation factor. All that said, I like having options, so will miss them.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Also I don’t think people are as deaf or as easily mislead as you might believe

or we should all just listen to the kitchen radio. We all have expectations when we listen to a product, component or frankly anything else. Maybe I’m negative and have a revised expectation bias. But I’m usually dissatisfied and disappointed not blown away or impressed and often go backwards
Do I look like a bozo?You can check up my threads since 2018 and see I'm extensively using nichicon muse caps in everything I can but that doesn't make me a believer.It just happrns that I have a significant amount of them..

Attachments

• 20220717_225214.jpg
    20220717_225214.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 20220717_225220.jpg
    20220717_225220.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20220717_225227.jpg
    20220717_225227.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Hello in my experience, I started to recap vintage devices with audio grades like the Silmic 2 and I was not convinced of the audio result. I then switched to high quality low esr capacitors in the 8000 to 12000 H under 105°C, for me it was better even if I didn't do an ABX test either! Finally I discovered organic polymer technology, great durability, very low esr, the audio result seems really good to me! more and more audio devices are using it now.
For you my brother:

Attachments

• 20220717_230402.jpg
    20220717_230402.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 340
  • 20220717_230408.jpg
    20220717_230408.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 334
Maybe I'm deaf...but I know that willingly or unwillingly biased people do tell lies about their audio experiences and many are afraid to double check their partial results.Try good quality industrial grade caps then talk about it! On the other hand a schematic that's dependent on cap magic qualities is not designed properly. I use nichicon muse and panasonic bipolar caps extensively in my analogue mods, but I hardly recollect making the circuits sounding better than when using cheap but oversized voltage caps. I only find these caps useful in preamps as they look awesome...
I can only have fun when remembering Jan's surprise when he saw tantalum caps coupling the input of his all time favourite mc cart sony preamp he used and reveered for decades...but technically speaking it was a simulated fun as I knew for a while tantalum caps populating some of the best preamps ever made used by famous artists...

when you refer to preamps, you are referring to the signal path, right? Or for power supply too?
I believe the "audio grade" rating refers to signal path... or not?
In the reservoir stage after the rectifier, is the use of this type of capacitor relevant?

Ex: Why would a Nichicon KZ/ES/FW be a better option than a Rubycon ZLH?

Do I look like a bozo?You can check up my threads since 2018 and see I'm extensively using nichicon muse caps in everything I can but that foesn't make me a believer.It just happrns that I have a significant amount of them..

Who said you were a bozo ? I have had Nichicon FG's, Panasonic FM's, Muse ES, to name a few, I even tried a few SepC's but I only really get on with them in low level digital. This picture 12m ago had a lot of gold n black.

By the way improving the chassis grounding and sheilding was very worthwhile. I did swap out the whole contents and rebuilt in a standard chassis as I was almost shocked about the differences, but I hadn't fooled myself it was quite significant

635C027A-E232-4BCF-B409-8089C65E1349.jpeg

Account Closed
Joined 2010
when you refer to preamps, you are referring to the signal path, right? Or for power supply too?
I believe the "audio grade" rating refers to signal path... or not?
In the reservoir stage after the rectifier, is the use of this type of capacitor relevant?

Ex: Why would a Nichicon KZ/ES/FW be a better option than a Rubycon ZLH?

Yes..mostly audio path, but I don't mind using bipolar caps for main filtering if I have nothing else to use(although a clear waste).bipolar caps are higher esr than unipolar so they'll work well with some delicate regulators.I preffer bipolar caps when using virtual ground and mid tap output as they show lower leakage than unipolar caps.
In my experience rubycon , sanyo, siemens(epcos) and kendeil made the best unipolar caps with respect to leakage and shelf life.As bipolars I only have some old elna and new nichicon muse and panasonic.Panasonic bipolars are double sized to nichicon bs.Cyril Bateman measured panasonic bipolar distortions as very low, nichicon muse are equally low distortion.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
By the way ...i realized my germanium chapter one headphones preamp with both nichicon muse bipolar output coupling and cheap JB capacitors and also invited a friend who hears 18khz to evaluate both...there was no difference in highs, but there was one in lows due to higher idle current and capacitance.If you know my prefference for QSC output coupling caps designs you know i'm used to take full advantage of capacitors.Nothing i do is dc coupled for a few years now and the cheapest JB capacitors prooved to have very low leakage.Not sure about their shelf life...probably very low...yet JB has 5000 and 12000 hours caps as well.

Attachments

• 20220717_234346.jpg
    20220717_234346.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 272
Who said you were a bozo ? I have had Nichicon FG's, Panasonic FM's, Muse ES, to name a few, I even tried a few SepC's but I only really get on with them in low level digital. This picture 12m ago had a lot of gold n black.

By the way improving the chassis grounding and sheilding was very worthwhile. I did swap out the whole contents and rebuilt in a standard chassis as I was almost shocked about the differences, but I hadn't fooled myself it was quite significant

View attachment 1073030
Did you really just pour/squirt hot glue all over those caps? Oh brother...