ELEKIT TU-8850 SE KT170 SET AMP

From using the KT-88's to installing the KT-170's has stepped up the Depth, Width and Bass. Clear and smooth sound from this wonderful TU-8850 SE. I will be rolling in GE Military Stock 12AU7 / 6189W, Radiotechnique 12AU7, RFT ECC82 12AU7 overtime. Thanks Victor!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
As the offer of those great kits increases,maybe would be great to have a short note about the sonical differenze between them? Sometimes might not be true that dht and set are the unique way to have sound purity? What do you think about this?
For instance how 8900 compare to 8850?

Thanxs! Crystal clear!
Victor’s description of the way these amplifiers sound might seem vague but he is correct. I would totally agree with his description. It might be helpful to know what speaker you are using and how big your listening room is. 3.5 watts is not enough power for most speakers. I am using horn speakers that are something like 110db efficiency and 3.5 watts is barely enough power for my listening experience. I do love my 8900 but sometimes I do feel like I want more power. That’s where the 8850 comes in. I really love the way Elekit sounds on my Altec horns. I haven’t heard anything yet that sounds better and they are a lot of fun to build.

I will share some brief thoughts on the 8600S vs the 8850 driving my Zu Soul VI which are around 100dB.

With the 8850 with Lundahl and KT-170 tubes the musical image appears to be rock solid. Very great stereo separation and presents a very wide stereo image which allows you to clearly visualize where the musicians are. Solid low end and the amp handles complex musical passages with ease.

The 8600S on the other hand is much more difficult to describe. It does spooky stuff that I have never heard with another amp. Granted this is my first 300B amp and I hear that is a common trait with 300B amps. I would say the stereo separation and musical image are not nearly as precise. However the image can seem very tall at times with certain instruments feeling like they are floating above you or coming out of the speakers and are just a few feet from your face. Very difficult to describe and sounds bonkers I realize. One thing I can say for certain that watching TV and movies, the human voice is most natural through the 8600S to my ear. The 8600S doesn't handle complex musical passages nearly as well as the 8850 but excels with jazz, blues, etc.

I've been listening to a lot of artists like Surprise Chef, Art Feynman, and Mildlife recently and they sound fantastic through both amps. On the 8850 I really appreciate the drive of the bass lines and the PRaT. However with the 8600s I definitely am not tapping my toes as much but am occasionally left slack jawed at some particular synth line that feels like it's playing over my head 4 feet up in the air.

Now I have to build the 8900 so I can collect the whole set 😁😂

Reactions: 1 users
KT170 amp is more HiFi.. Tu-8600S is more emotion side..
You are correct.. It will not overlap eavh other.. They have differeny ways to ptesent music..
The 2A3 is another way to present music.

I also want to say... which amp is better.. It also relates to the type of music.....

I always want to share with you... the air content is the most important ingredient of vocal music....
AIR .. AIR...
Only good amp can give you abundance of air...
you can add a sub to give you enough msg Bass but it is very difficult to give you airy music...--> only the best can do...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There is no prefect system to pay all types of music . ALL SET amps from Elekit and Sun Valley can provdie abundance of air. YOu need to follow the simple formular.. System must be as simple as possible,,+ speaker no box
remeber the more you add the more air you will loose

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have moved out the Brimar NOS CV4003 and installed Valvo ECC82. WOW, what a difference in stereo image and detail. Now the Brimar are more of Mullard for the softer sound. Got to love tube rolling!!!!

TU8550q.png