Electronic Design Mag discovers High End Audio!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Explanation is simple: an air when transfers sounds adds distortions of low order, and longer it travels, higher are distortions. The same with loudness. But with increased distance higher frequencies decay more than with increased loudness.
That was the nature that naturalize the sounds.
Unpleasant sounds will be more pleasant from distance. Actually it is the loudspeaker that distort the nature, not the nature distort the sounds.

From J.Gordon Holt's 1990 book "The Audio Glossary"

tube sound
That combination of audible qualities characteristic of devices which use tubes for amplification. These qualities include: Richness and warmth, midbass and lower-midrange exaggeration, deficiency of deep bass, outstanding rendition of depth, forward and bright upper mid-range, softly sweet extreme- high end.

tube sound
That combination of audible qualities characteristic of devices which use tubes for amplification. These qualities include: Richness and warmth, midbass and lower-midrange exaggeration, deficiency of deep bass, outstanding rendition of depth, forward and bright upper mid-range, softly sweet extreme- high end.

Ah. SY said earlier:

It's interesting that J. Gordon Holt, who was one of the early and most influential proponents of "tube sound," described it as bright and forward, not soft and warm.

Is that what is known as selective quotation?

tube sound

Sounds about right ... Spot on JGH ................. :D

But not pentode (bear's contention), that was my point. And again, you have to believe that JGH never listened to a triode amp, which is somewhat north of ridiculous.

SY, it IS a PENTODE or it is a BEAM TETRODE.

I am saying that the mere presence of the screen grid changes the way it sounds.

And, give me a list of commercially available DHT (or even 6B4) amps that would have been reviewed by Mr. Holt? I find it hard to believe that there were any! The game in the 60s was mo powah, mo powah and 20cycles to 20kc, no matter how you had to get it. Which was always substantial global loop feedback, with a few minor exceptions...

Admittedly a 60 or 75watt amp was considered "big" but there were no DHT PP amps and certainly no SE DHT amps as commercial offerings. There were some SE amps, but using small 7 or 9 pin tubes in things like console radios, and maybe a Grundig?

I think ur walkin' on thin ice with this one...

_-_-bear

PS. and no, I have personally never read a negative review in Stereo Review, or any other "glossy" USA hifi magazine...

And, give me a list of commercially available DHT (or even 6B4) amps that would have been reviewed by Mr. Holt?

Reviewed or listened to? Seriously, you're talking about Gordon Holt here, not some internet cowboy. And really, tube sound is only valid for DHTs? All of the "tube sound" discussion and reviews in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, whoosh, swept away?

Puh-leez.

Sure, it is what I am talking about. Linearized wideband amp sounds better than less linear that starts rolling off from 100 Hz, with global feedback around resulting in better measured linearity. For example, when I used source follower loaded on modulated CCS, and this source follower is powered from another one bootstrapping it, the result is very linear, but not because transfer function is linearized by feedback. Because variations of voltage between drain and source, and current through it, are minimized. Actually, what I am aiming at, is not linearity, but rather smoothness of transfer function.
So, that amp is single ended source follower with bootstrap (tracking rail right?), and you minimize nonlinearity by modulating CCS with error of source follower. That's good idea.

You right, smooth is better.
I am applying small input filter and it is more smoothness, and more again with bigger filter, but I don't like this stage getting slow.
It has 83dB current gain and not reaching 90dB with filter, while it reach 95dB without filter.

Edit: not 83dB current gain, but 83dB -18dB = 65dB, because output measured is voltage into 8 ohm resistor

Attachments

• N2 @400mA w input filter.PNG
    N2 @400mA w input filter.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
And really, tube sound is only valid for DHTs? All of the "tube sound" discussion and reviews in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, whoosh, swept away?

Puh-leez.

But this nowadays 2000era, there is some really good SS amps starts appeared, when people starts to learning what is wrong with SS, and seems that they starts to find them one by one.
While in the past, audio amplifiers is more designed with radical experiment without knowing what really happened, with nowadays equipment supports to do many thing that not supported in 80s, like copmuters helping to do some modelling find out what is really happened.

Last edited:
While in the past, audio amplifiers is more designed with radical experiment without knowing what really happened, with nowadays equipment supports to do many thing that not supported in 80s, like copmuters helping to do some modelling find out what is really happened.

No. Audio amplifiers were always designed with knowledge. And always designers were absolutely convinced that they know what and why they were doing that. And there were even wars between them, who knows better.
...but nothing changed. We still know what we are doing, even if the knowledge had changed many times. While we are alive we are learning. If not learning, we are not alive.
Computers are not helping me to see what really happened. They help me to communicate, save schematics in files, share files, ... ;)

No. Audio amplifiers were always designed with knowledge. And always designers were absolutely convinced that they know what and why they were doing that. And there were even wars between them, who knows better.
...but nothing changed. We still know what we are doing, even if the knowledge had changed many times. While we are alive we are learning. If not learning, we are not alive.
Computers are not helping me to see what really happened. They help me to communicate, save schematics in files, share files, ... ;)

Well unless you are as old as dirt ...... :D

This is a direct quote from JGH from his 'As We See it... The Missing Spec' 'Stereophile, 1, 1971.

"... It was soon observed, though, that all solid-state components had THEIR own characteristic sound. They were sharp, crisp, and quite Brittle-sounding -- fine for reproducing 'hard' transients like triangles and xylophones, but not so fine for massed violins, which became annoyingly shrill. By comparison, most tube equipment was rather 'sweet' and slightly veiled, which made strings sound fine, but took the edge off harder sounds. After the initial infatuation with 'solid state' wore off, it became obvious that the 'crispness' of transistors was just as much a form of distortion as the softness of tubes, only different. ..."
This seems about right, in my opinion.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, sounds about right. Except I've heard DHT (811) amps that sounded sharp and crisp while a transistor amp was sweet, slightly veiled, darker. After the infatuation with the "in your face" large breasted triode wore off, the transistor amp was chosen as "The girl you want to live with".

Generalities are fine, but there are many exceptions.

Again, GO START YOUR OWN THREAD ON ******* GORDON HOLT and TUBES vs. TRANSISTORS. Degenerating this thread into that old circular and BS conversation is a waste of everyone's time.

Let's re-read the two part Electronic Design article and comment on that??

This thread is about what ONE person said in an ARTICLE, and what you think about what HE said.

Pano, you being a moderator should know better, imo. Very OT.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.