Electronic Design Mag discovers High End Audio!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz was triode-connected. Fisher ditto. Dyna, ultralinear. Quad, ditto. Leak, ditto. Luxman, triodes. For the preamps, the Leak Point 1 was pentode, every other one I can think of from that time was triode.

Quad II was tetrode (KT66) with cathode feedback, does not seem triode connected to me.

And the Quad 22 preamp had a pentode connected EF86 at the input.

Attachments

• quad-ii.gif
    quad-ii.gif
    27 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
G So how do you explain away the change in the perception of "tube sound?"
Perhaps simply by a shift in the words used. Is "bright" good or bad? Is "forward" desirable, or not? I'd have to read the reviews to understand context.

EDIT: Hmm.. just had a browse thru a bunch of schematics. All the Marantz looked UL connected, tho one had a triode switch. Dynaco only UL. Do you have model numbers, SY?

But not pentode (bear's contention), that was my point. And again, you have to believe that JGH never listened to a triode amp, which is somewhat north of ridiculous.

Pano, take a look at the Marantz 9. I can probably dig up a schematic for you if you can't easily find one. Switchable from UL to triode, no pentode mode in sight.

Triode operation was used rarely, after about 1960. This was significantly due to the change from relatively efficient speakers to 'bookshelf' speakers that needed all the power that they could get. Ultralinear gave enough power, but with a compromise in the sound.

Just think, I had 2 Dyna Mk 3 amps with matched Genelex KT-88's driving 2 K-horns, AND I was still attempting to design a better solid state amp to replace them. The ONLY tube amp that really knocked my socks off at that time was the Soundcraftsman 15W tube amp, designed by the engineers who would later design the Marantz tube line. I could NOT beat it, sonically, try as I might, for years.

Now, I knew Gordon Holt personally for decades, and even participated in a listening test with him, at one time. He could hear very well, BUT sometimes he liked some components that I could not understand why, such as the Dyna Stereo 120, their first solid stage design, a 'dog' if there ever was, in power amps. Quoting him exclusively does not make any sense, unless you are trying to actually 'dismiss' him, ultimately.

It was in 1960'th. Today I use pentodes with regulated by stiff solid stage voltage stabilizer G2 voltages, and with parallel feedback from their anodes to control grids (like inverting connection of opamps, you know), they are more triodish than triodes such a way. Also, when G1 and G2 voltages are stabilized, huge variations of B+ cause low variations of anode currents: much better PSRR than in case of traditional triodes.

That is not always true and not a surprise, my N2 has low feedback and only 9 transistors including the power mosfet and its current source, it could operating also with 8transistors in total. There are no easy way to get stable high NFB that could reach 1ppm THD and less, with only 7 transistors driving mosfet output. Low distortion in solidstate isn't always high feedback but the output stages could be linearized with good design.

Sure, it is what I am talking about. Linearized wideband amp sounds better than less linear that starts rolling off from 100 Hz, with global feedback around resulting in better measured linearity. For example, when I used source follower loaded on modulated CCS, and this source follower is powered from another one bootstrapping it, the result is very linear, but not because transfer function is linearized by feedback. Because variations of voltage between drain and source, and current through it, are minimized. Actually, what I am aiming at, is not linearity, but rather smoothness of transfer function.

'60s, '70s. The solid state amps he was talking about were (among others) Crown DC-300, Dynaco ST-120, H-K Citation, but its not hard to find lots of other examples.

"Laid back" was NOT a compliment to him- he made the same complaint about MC cartridges of the era, which notoriously had a swayback upper midrange frequency response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.