Electronic Design Mag discovers High End Audio!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well Electronic design just published a familiar circuit to many here. A power supply add on filter. I kept meaning to mention the 2N5210 is a better match to the 2N5087 than the 2N5089, but it seems even in the 1/12/12 (US) (12/1/12 others!)Ideas for Design article they continue the same way.

Is this history correct?
SS Designers starts with knowledge that simpler is better, they will choose simplest design in SS like in tubes, may be becuse they found that triode is better than pentode and single plate 2A3 is better than 2 plates.
Then this knowledge applied to SS, the result is low linearity, low supply rejection, then found so called harmonic distortion as a suspect, after that feedback is help, and so, (btw, until now some designer still suspecting THD even if their test result is lower than 0.005%).
Then the feedback becoming another suspect when they found TIM total in mind (btw, also there sill big debate about intermodulation and feedback).
Then etc,etc,etc, 100V/uS slewrate, 100A current peak capability, 300ppb THD, 1MHz power bandwidth, 10000 DF, memory distortion, 20kHz THD, colors (sorry, tubes really has color some of old triode has very nice but ...), and many more.
They choosing this BJT sounds better than that BJT, or this triode than that triode. Without knowing why.

Wavebourn - please contact me!! (seriously...)

Mr. Curl, I sent you a PM here please check ur PMs??

I can phone you over the weekend... :D

_-_-bear

PS. the original article made some statements about hearing and audibility of things, anyone?

You start it. These post should in PM.

BTW this PS said about:
Our ears are amazing. ...blah blah blah... We can also hear subtle differences in music passages that are 130 dB down from the highest signals. Then there’s the matter of bandwidth.
:scratch1:

Again:
But there are folks that make wonderful instrumentation for audio measurements. It’s not cheap, but their equipment can measure anything we can hear—if used properly.
No totally false. they measuring output of amplifier, not output of loudspeaker. What we hear is output loudspeaker air pressure waves not voltages.

Edit: Continue discuss?

Sorry Bear, did not mean to cause complication. IF I had your # I could call you for free. But I don't. I think that I know what you are enquiring about.
Wavebourn, be a good boy, and try not to annoy us. '-)

I don't. I tried to help, but found that I have no time to help more and more... Too much to study all available options and translate datasheets, may be later when I have some spare time to do so.

The article, is don't know not so clear understanding it. PS
Paul Schimel: Basically, all negative attributes of switching amplifiers have been overcome by Jun Honda’s work on the IR class D audio amplifiers. Please give the IRAUD AMP7S a spin if you are skeptical. This circuit features the IRS2092 driver IC. Yes, there is a lot of global feedback, akin to most any other voltage-sourced amplifier, but the amplifier is extremely accurate with wonderful tonality. The switching frequency is typically around 400 kHz. The evaluation board is set up for accurate reproduction with low distortion.

conclusion:
You can easily approach the “tube-amp sound” by simply placing a substantial resistance in series with the output of a modern voltage-source audio amplifier. This decreases the damping factor and allows the bell modes on the transducer cone and dust cap to radiate as opposed to being clamped by an output impedance that is effectively zero.
At the end. Is just like that.

And from PS link: 80's style amplifier designer.
Lou Frenzel:The only vacuum tube amplifier I ever designed... blah blah blah .... In an audio amp you need linearity and low noise. But from what I can gather at the higher volume levels tubes do distort from overload or poor power supply regulation from the tube rectifiers. It is just that subtle distortion that people like. It is not a harsh clipping but a more “rounded” distortion that just sounds better to calibrated ears.
Is he says that people like supply hum modulation, and also people like if everything sounds like electric guitars? .

Paul Shimmel (apparently in a comment in the original article??) is saying that in his opinion there is a Class D amp running at 400kHz that is "blameless" or as good as any linear amp he has heard...

_-_-bear

PS. Anatoliy, I know English is not your native language, so that may be why you seem confused. Let's forget about it, ok?

Paul Shimmel (apparently in a comment in the original article??) is saying that in his opinion there is a Class D amp running at 400kHz that is "blameless" or as good as any linear amp he has heard...

_-_-bear

PS. Anatoliy, I know English is not your native language, so that may be why you seem confused. Let's forget about it, ok?

Paul Schimel (not "Shimmel"...) wrote:.....the amplifier (class D) sounded extremely accurate with wonderful tonality......at the end of part 2.
When quoting, do it accurate to prevent "distortion".
That article is worth reading IMO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.