Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A

Dear overall, if the capacitor is creating troubles

Then remove it.

If perceive the absence of the capacitor, as empty holes in the pcboard, then install a couple of Megaohms resistor there just to fill the blank space.

If overshot is appearing in these pcboards...and bothering, then increase the output inductor value and increase also the resistor value that is in parallel.

Here you have a video where i was removing overshot from o darlington amplifier, a toy i was playing with this last weekend..... see 08:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJdy_12r_g

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Nice video thimios...thank you.

Corazon loco (crazy heart)..... this recording is a mix of Italian language, modified spanish spoken in South America and also Portuguese.

Nice the paper clips to hold power transistors in place attached to the heatsink....lovely!...this is DIY in the most pure expression of art...really a genuine one.

This Blameless style amplifier.... highly tweaked for sonics, i something musicians usually appreciate.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Last schematic made, result of last tuning, the last revision and last update

If you feel the differential CCS transistor hot, them increase the 68 ohms resistor to 82 ohms....it is left side and up the image.

Tunning made watching the harmonics... the advantage is small..but it is the last i have made..at my home, this is the schematic i am using in three amplifiers i have.

One to the Satelite TV Receiver, another to my computer as monitor and the third is to reproduce music in the laboratory.

The 100n capacitor into the VAS sometimes unstabilizes...if you perceive something strange, some harshing in treble high end..then remove it...cut it with a plyer, then you can insert it once again to listen...push it in contact with a pencil.... and then monitor full power noise from FM inter station...but do that only if you have powerfull tweeters as this overdrive the tweeter..... into the tweeter is always a good idea to put a filter into it.. something alike the zobel, or a 10 ohms resistor in series with 100N capacitor into the tweeter terminals....why?

You may use your tweeter with other amplifiers than the Dx Super A...and some of them produces a lot of harmonics, while clipping and these harmonics goes to the tweeter..unprotected it will blow up.... usually tweeters are 10 percent of total power...so...if your amplifier is operating 4 ohms..it can put out 150 watts.... and the tweeter must be 15 watts minimum to normal operation...but if someone decide to overdrive the amplifier, the power will go to 180 or more watts...rich in harmonics...the tweeter killers....so..be aware against other amplifiers and be aware that even the Dx Super A or other Dx Amplifier, when overdriven, produces crazy killer harmonics..and they go to the tweeter, as harmonics are multiples of the main frequency..so...they go to high frequencies and concentrates there.

As i told you, i have four pcboards, each one different from the other...i do that on purpose to see how stable they are.... and one of them show unstabilities and i had to remove the 100N capacitor...was a green board made to the Dx Blame ST adapted to use the Dx Super A on it.... to one of the two boards included in that amplifier, i found unstabilities with the capacitor inserted...why?

I do not know...maybe differences of components.....sometimes we have bad contact, interruption into a connection inside a component..sometimes inside a transistor, sometimes inside a capacitor...this switches on and of the component, and this produces strange noises into the waveform while clipping....maybe the removed capacitor was the defective one...i gonna track it back to inspect the hell capacitor..as the removal fixed the stuff....all other 5 pcboards, or 5 channel have not presented any problem like that....if i remember...it was an old Siemens orange colour capacitor.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - revision march, 30, 2013 reference.jpg
    Dx Super A - revision march, 30, 2013 reference.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Juan boards use 220uf..... Brazilian pcboards from Zimmer uses 47uf

You can use the one you want.

This is because of tunning.... to each circuit i have selected a kind of sound, because of local preferences.

If you want sonic signature with more weight in the bass, then use 220uf, but this makes treble and voices a little bit blurred or undefined...if you prefere treble, if you love the high end..then reduce to 47uf.

This creates a different harmonic distribution, has some minor effects...what is better?

For Brazilians it is lower value, something of update made in Brazil a couple of months ago.

In real world, these differences appear more clearly with the use of instruments and simulators.... listening it is hard to notice.... i do think you can perceive less brigth with 220uf, but this is something you perceive making two channels and making A to B comparison...both playing together is something impossible to notice..also, the amplifer is bright and clear, with awesome sonics both way.

Difference is alike to compare someone that has 194 centimeters tall with other that is 193.5 centimeters tall....both are tall...if you analyse by numbers you will say one is taller...but in normal life no one will even notice such difference... we gonna say they are almost tall the same...... the same thing to amplifiers.

Also, it is hard to perceive differences from my amplifiers to others.... all them sound good, in special the Blameless style amplifiers we have around..... you can notice, ONLY, when you compare..then you will perceive one is much better than better is the other...one is better better, other is better...or one is very good and other is a little bit more very good than the other.

When you reach some level of quality, differences in sonics are subtle..some guys that plays loud and have a lot of reflections in the room cannot notice these differences... despite they believe they can.

And there's another problem we face..even with awesome amplifiers...if you install a bad speaker..then the whole high quality vanishes, as the best sound depends on the speaker performance too.

I do suggest folks to relax and enjoy your sound...and try to be happy..... the search of perfection in such non imperfect world is non sense..not even our ears are the same...home acoustics also not the same.

As i have tested so many amplifiers in my life, and i stopped my research with this model...all others abandoned, small variations around the same theme is applied to my amplifiers..but they are deeply inspired in Blameless...it is the best i found.... so, i am sure you have a very good amplifier that few amplifiers can match or beat.... go to home acoustics, go to speaker research, as you may make a better system doing that...trying to match acoustics with your personnal taste and ears.

I have finished and stopped DIY activity due to people copying and selling my amplifiers in several parts of our world.... so, as a result i have searched a new schematic that promisses to be a high quality amplifiers, now a days raw...or in development...will not be published...so...the best ones i have made for DIY is this one in this power range

I will develop that Russian circuit, authorized by the designer, that gonna be radically modified ...i will use the main frame, the skeleton, and will make another diferent with other topology, not anymore a Blameless... and also not anymore a Russian.... the skeleton will not be recognized anymore..... will be made to my own pleasure...i will not share the next ones... also will use a revoluctionary kind of supply that nobody have ever used.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Well ... this unit was made according to the last schematic published

It is not a Zimmer amplifier pcboards nor Juan amplifier pcboards...i am using Brazilian group buy green pcboards made in special to distribute in Brazil...i have many pcboards left and i use them as a base to assemble my amplifiers...below the pcboard there are some extra parts needed..some arrangements made to install my new circuit into the old green pcboards.

Man ... i have so many pcboard models that i gonna be tired to show you all them..but for sure no one have produced overshot.... this is unaceptable to release...having this effect or defect in my home i would be working till fix... and if not fixed, then the amplifier would be killed and trashed..... and i do that to make good stuff and because to avoid what is going on..someone showing overshot, in this case you, and people thinking the amplifier is no good....to avoid that, i do not release anything with strange behavior.

Yes...MKIII appear something strange when clipping......my scope was damaged....you see the trouble people have created because the damn "after death" distortion.....people sometimes looks crazy... worries when the amplifier is already "out of normal operation area"

But, Juan pcboard is "state of the art" pcboard..we have worked and studied the pcboard hard for months long...we took all care we could..the most modern techniques applied to it...if the green pcboard that is not that good, is working perfectly, Juan pcboard will work much better as it is, as i said..the best pcboard we could make...we have worked hard to reduce length of copper tracks (inductor)... we took care to keep some distance from track to track (capacitor), we made the shortest possible length of copper track...we have rearranged parts to avoid magnetic pickup....well...we made the best possible pcboard.....no other pcboard we made are so good as Juan pcboard...so...do not worry...your differences are because of supply, or parts applied, or solder, or some magnetic pick up, or because of some ground issue...but not because of the pcboard.

Well..this is what i believe...in the reality i have not tested, myself (i cannot remember, but i do think i have not) Juan pcboard (correct me if i am wrong dear Juan)..... i am still waiting pcboard from Puerto Rico to arrive my home..no one arrived here..... we can ship things to outside Brazil and anything is lost..but packages from outside Brazil to go inside Brazil sometimes are lost...and this is the case..the second time Juan ship pcboards to Brazil and the second time the pcboards are lost...this happens because Brazil postal service that is not working fine anymore.(it was very good till 2010).

I have made several pcboard layouts..... four in Brazil and three in foreign countries.... the base amplifier is Blameless style Dx Blame ES and Dx Blame ST and now a days Dx Super A...to the Dx Blame ES and Dx Blame ST we had pcboards from Todd Johnson (TAJ), Rudi Rozek and Omar Shaker (Metal)... in Brazil we have Miguel Nabuco (2 different pcboards), Fábio Zimmer (2 different pcboards).

Dx Corporation, a Union of World Audiophiles (the best of them), is not a business, but it is an enterprise to provide DIY circuits to the communitty.. thousand sterep amplifiers (aproximatelly).. distributed to the whole world..we have in Siberia, in Alaska and all continents, including Islands as Japan and other pacific Islands...also Africa..... everywhere you can have a Dx amplifier inside a bright, competent and skilled, golden eared, super audiophile home (hehehehe).

I am not doing DIY anymore...this is just "maintenance" of the projects already distributed as DIY..... i am not sharing schematics anymore, as people is copying in several places, in special in Brazil where people has lost the decense and dignity (not all Braziians, but a great number..inside Brazilian foruns... some guys if your trown them up into a trash basket..then the basket gonna spill them out, so dirt they are..not acceptable by the trash can).

My new designs are secret..will not be show here, not have advertisement here...all gonna be made inside my own forum..there i gonna sell...one or two pcboards is all i imagine to sell (not my main targed...i want to have fun only)... and will not be cheap, as gonna be state of the Art new Armagedon and MAKO......i do not even want to sell..as people will copy as soon as they put the hands on it..so good they are.

I am sorry to say....not lucky your amplifier..... strange overshot..i have not this in my home amplifiers...and i do think South Hemisphere of the world is not doing that.....i do believe your particular construction, your pcboard (it is possible...i do not believe but it is not impossible), your parts or something happening your place....not the faulty amplifier design or pcboard..problems in your particular construction..these units you have at home.

I am tweaking anotheramplifier.... and gonna finish it today..... amplifier for the television, for the Satelite TV Receiver..... you gonna see video today..no overshot man!...no overshot.

Well.... overshot does not kill sound..... it is not normal but does not affect sound...or at least, humans cannot perceive.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - MKII - parts a substituir no Blame ST.jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII - parts a substituir no Blame ST.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Uncle charlie was not lucky inside Brazilian foruns

They have copied my stuff.... and also they tried to kick me out as they could not sell their own stuff as people had the preference to build my amplifiers, because cheaper and because better...so...i was bothering them with my presence.

Also here i was not lucky....watch how many threads, thousands of pages... tenths of thousand posts....thousands pictures, sketches and schematics..suggestions about to make forum providing pcboards....and watch the result..... forum amplifier is not mine...it is alike mine..not better than mine one.... i am not providing the forum amplifiers...observe that and judge if this is fair or not fair.... the onus to be working was mine...the bonus was given to other.... well...this is mankind in it's most loud expression.

Well..... let it be....i will continue to produce amplifiers...this is a fact..no one can interrupt my job...and they gonna be the best for sure.

I have to say that a good friend, Mr. Adi Klausner, have assembled Dx Super A, using Juan pcboards...he is happy, satisfied and sent me pictures with thanks.

Yes, he is on troubles...the toy heatsink cannot face even 8 ohms.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• UM.jpg
    UM.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 454
  • DOIS.jpg
    DOIS.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Overshot is not that tragedy...i do think it is not a perfect result

But not a tragedy..... several amplifiers produces overshot and this does not mean they will sound bad.

For sure we feel good when we see perfect waveform...for sure we feel this way...but even my generator does not produce perfect waveform on high frequencies..it is not perfect too...well....anything perfect in this imperfect world.

Here you see....an osciloscope to Ipad.... see the waveform.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Ipad osciloscope.jpg
    Ipad osciloscope.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 383
You can give it a try dear Thimios..because the overshot bothers you

And the overshot does not sound...also the capacitor installed there does not sound as i have tested listening today.... it can slow down the amplifier, but this is theory, real world is what you listen.

If this is what bothers you, the overshot that appeared into your pcboard, then you may be rid of it.

Before suggest you i have tested myself.... listening and inserting and removing the capacitor... it is not a matter of" i think so" as many people does..i am sure will not impact the sound...if others say that to you... that may impact the sound... i can guarantee they are lying to you.

In the reality, not only the overshot or the cure i am suggesting you will not harm the sound..it is just a psychological matter.... that tragic belief that something goes wrong...and this is something that may be studied this way..... what will be good for you to feel good.

Again i repeat, this overshot is not presented in my amplifiers...the ones i have at home... the overshot does not appear in the simulator nor into the oscilloscope.

It is possible, despite i have not that belief, some problem into the pcboard layout..... as soon i receive mine i will check it....also other guys can report if they face the same problem..if they face, then the pcboard may tbe something to have suspicion, as i am not having the effect/defect in my home while using other pcboards.

Do not mind about people that goes against...they just have theories and envy inside their mind, as they never could post an amplifier that made someone assembled...all then can do it to criticise others...if they can not grow up, then they try to reduce the importance of others.

This is the reason why these guys are in my ignore list, as all they do is to push people into a negative feeling.

Ask them what to do..they do not know...they will suggest a lot of things for you to try.:).... you know..... you go trying his ideas.... they push the button and you move alike a robot.

I will give a break, as the legion of do nothing is approaching to bother...this is all they can do, to be buzzing around and bothering, as they do not know anything useful to share.... they are five.... hurt because i kick them all time they appear...they come together and from time to time i face them all....today i am lazy to waste my time...let them do their thing.

I have bought new boots, good to kick.... these ones does not have bootstrap.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• New boots to kick..JPG
    New boots to kick..JPG
    29 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Again i repeat, this overshot is not presented in my amplifiers...the ones i have at home... the overshot does not appear in the simulator nor into the oscilloscope.
This overshot (better to say hf instability) could not be present in any amplifier, it is fault and of course it is audible ..
Ask them what to do..they do not know...they will suggest a lot of things for you to try
If You really want to know what to do (but it is a bit late, no?), I can post schematic with corrected faults. But yes, here will be a lot of things that must changed step by step, because a lot of basic faults
This is the reason why these guys are in my ignore list, as all they do is to push people into a negative feeling.
You can ignore me and others, but you can not ignore reality (or you can , but than it will go wrong..)and guys who was believing You and are trying to made properly, repeatable working amplifier. To made an amplifier is strictly technical work, it must by based on knowledges, experiences, skill and measurements, proper PCB layout and grounding scheme (not only simulations...)and finally audition.. It is not "art", nor black magic or alchemy.
If You really want to know what to do (but it is a bit late, no?), I can post schematic with corrected faults (based at practical results and thousands of properly working amps, not plain talks...). But yes, here will be a lot of things that must changed, because a lot of basic faults.

Last edited: