diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

Re: that folded mono pole looks great.

roystr said:
i bet it would be perfect for a beginner. does anyone know if it needs any kind of electronics added to it.like ohm filters,or stuff

Keep in mind that we are in the early stages, but I would strongly suspect that the monopole would require a BSC as a minimum. A zobel may not required. Each BSC would cost in the order of about $7 - $10. The bipole would not require a BSC.

Cheers,
Gio.

hiya,i was thinking...oh no trouble is a commin`

no realy. would a speaker one of us built be considered a single driver if it had one of those non-powered flat looking bass helpers in it? i forget what they are called,they help or assist the regular bass driver.

and if they are ok ,i was thinking again,,,instead of using the through tube in a reflex style speaker,couldnt you use one of them (sheeesh) "non-powered bass helper units ??" that way it would have room to move in and out, letting the air move around inside [[ and maybe make a bit of free bass]] ,but not enough for the air to leave the enclosure entirely,kinda blocking the hole just part way.

hmmm i wish i could remember the names of this stuff...

well thats it for now.

night,

roy

thanx,thats it. ah ha!

dont ya hate it when that happens?

port substitute,great. but is it a good idea? you say "that it adds an extra resonance into the mix". so how do you know when to put one in? i doubt its trial and error. there must be someway you kinda know in certain ones if it would work or not before putting it on.

im looking at a small tqwt 3ft tall. i guess its ok, it looks like most of the others ive seen. the fella that built it said hes happy enough with it............after 40 hours to get broken in. its funny how bad they are(home built) at first,then slowly smooth out to be listenable,or even great pleasure. must drive ya nuts waiting to see if you built a lemmon or not.i know it will bug me. not that bugging me will prevent me from trying to make a decent one.

roy
its at the bottom of the page.called "little boy"

http://www.geocities.com/agalavotti/tqwt.html

prototypes

Hello Group:
I am in the same boat as Tim. I have my drivers on a baffle playing the local FM station right now. I have the designs and a TQWT pipe, I have the material I just need a little time.
I may get a few hours this weekend. I will post once I get something completed.

So many project so little time. Maybe I am sleeping too much again.

scd?

would ya mind letting me see what a tqwt and a pipe look like? send me a picture or a picture of the same thing if you want,but not the one your building. either way,im curious if i know what it is,but i probly have the names wrong. alot of tqwt, and some different ones with letters like that as well. its like the army..lolnothing has a name,just 3 or 4 letters.

cant wait to get going ,it will be my first speaker set,and im hoping they sound better than the cost of the parts would get me in the hi-fi store.

later,

roy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TQWT = TQWP = Voigt Pipe....

TQW = Tapered Quarter Wave
P = Pipe
T = Tube

A quarter-wave pipe that is small at the closed end & large at the terminus end... driver placed at 1/3 to 1/2 the distance from the closed end....

It has been found that these tend to work WAY better with a restricted terminus (ie ML = Mass Loaded)

Attached is a pic i had handy of variations on the theme (these are based on Tim's bipoler 1197 ML-Voigt).

dave

Attachments

• voigt-variations.gif
    voigt-variations.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,501
thanx,but i dont seem to be able to....

see the pics. or the thumbnails for that matter. i noticed that the other night when i was trolling through the old posts,i thought they were taken down after a while,that was why i didnt see any.

is it like this,if this works im putting up a pic.

Attachments

• plext glass box.jpg
    plext glass box.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,899
i found this kinda small speaker

it looks like a demo,you know,to show someone what somthing looks like,but not to scale? i wanted to know what you guys thought if this was a real speaker,and if it is,do you think it would work with FE127 or FE167??? them are the only two i have comming,so if not them two,then ill need another plan. i just think this one looks cool, and interesting. provided it would not sound like a toy.

let me know will ya,and thanx,

roy

Attachments

• table top.jpg
    table top.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,638