DIY Video Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: CRT mirror image

Actually, it's a better idea to open up the TV, and if you look at the CRT gun, you can see four wires coming off of it, which control the deflection Left/right, top/bottom. If you desolder and resolder these with the opposite polarity, the TV is upside down and or back to front. Don't bother using a mirror, it'll just make it more bulky.

Make sure you test the connectivity to make sure you're not shorting anything out. The board will probably be marked something like H1 H2 and V1 V2.

Hope this helps.

Digitalview

I gave them a call and they said they are available through distributors...

~$600 US for a nice controller, that can handle UXGA, do PIP, and has component video inputs as well as the other standards.

$700 - $800 for parts, plus the cost of the projector, is too high in my book -

anyone know pinouts to the lm-be53-22nek sanyo lcd?

I took this LCD out of an OLD laptop and was wondering if anyone knew the pinouts or could this thing even be used.... =\

Please let me know. I know its probably not the best thing to use, but for initial testing and learning it may be ok.

anyone know anything about the lm-be53-22nek ?

Thanks!

LCD Controller

For anyone who is interested I have a broken NEC 15.1LCD display. Included is the vga-lcd controller, inverter, power inverter and osd control. I am selling the lot for $129.99, I don't know if any other lcd's will work however I have seen the required lcd on EBAY for just over $100.00. give me an email if your interested.

small lcd

Found these at digisys, someone might be interested
Sony Miniature Color LCD Display (LCX005BKB) $29.00
1.4 CM (0.55 inch)Diagonal Full Color Display
Built in horizontal and vertical drivers
Delta Dot Pattern for High Picture Quality
537 dots (H) x 222 dots (V)
Compatiable with NTSC & PAL format and Sync Inputs
12 VDC Operation with -1 to +17 V RGB Signal and Driver Input Voltage
Excellent display for virtual reality projects
Viewfinder and Miniature Test Equipment Displays
Pin Outs and Specifications Included
Unit requires a clock, Synchronization and Video

screen door for the 15 inches is completely neglidgible. i got right next to the screen once and used the screen door effect to focus the projector, but my face was practically on the screen so i could see it sharply enough. again, not a problem.

Thank you Myren, that was very "emptying". Actually I didn't understand **** of what you're saying.:eek: Especially words like "neglidgible" don't say anything to me.
Hopefully you'll be able to post some pics when you get your thing running again as they have told that picture can tell more than 1000 words.
I might take some pics someday now too for educational purposes.:)
hmm.. anyway, I got the sblive 5.1 sound working with the dvd-decoder card(h+) with some weird **** registry modifications to make the sound come through the soundcard instead of the output connectors of the decoder. Not documented anywhere else than in some underground russian web sites or such.
Further from that I have nothing new.
I was thinking of those want to go CRT if it would be possible to just get spare CRT-tubes for some projector and do the projector yourself using those tubes?
I don't know, just a thought.. I'm not going the CRT route anyway..

More on Brightness....

I've been thinking a bit on the brightness problem...

Two points:

1 - I have not seen any calcs covering sqare area diveded by # of lumens... I feel we need to calculate out the lumens per square cm or in.... If we take a current model projector and determine the # of lumens per given area of LCD display, we should then be able to set an accurate target of needed lumens to light the larger displays to achieve the same (or similar) output to the screen....

2 - I have been curious about lamp technology and why most of the projector have gone to the UHP lamps that are soooo expensive. I found this article and it was loaded with much information regarding projection and appropriate lamp design....I thought it was very interesting...

http://www.extra.research.philips.com/password/pw4_16-4.pdf

This is the page the above article came from.... It has other good links....

http://www.research.philips.com/password/pw7/pw7_4.html

Enjoy,

Steve

Light Cone Half Angle...

In the above mentioned article, it states:

Developments of Projection Systems:

Pushed by size and cost reduction projection displays are becoming much smaller:

1993: 3" diagonal, accepted light cone half angle 7 - 10 degrees
1998: 0.9 - 1.3" diagonal, 5 - 7 degree light cone half angle due to additional optics
200X: 0.4 - 1.0" diagonal, 5 - 7 degree light cone, reflective displays

I assume that the "reflective display" is the DLP technology... Am I correct? Also, notice they no longer mention the light cone as a "half angle"... What is the difference?

The thing I don't understand is light cone half angle.... :confused: Does anyone have a good explanation of it?

Thanks,

Steve

Bitch

Thanks for your comments about the CRT. Unfortunately your suggestion wasn't very helpful. Taking CRTs from another projector and just making them work is mad. What else do you think is in the projector apart from CRTs and the circuits to make them work?

Furthermore, the CRTs used in these projectors are worth £1000's each, so they're not very practical. I would rather use ordinary CRTs and burn them out more regularly and buy replacements than buy an expensive one and use it forever. And you can get free 5" TVs by buying a pair of boxers from Grattan.

Basically, the reasons behind me using CRTs instead of LCDs are:

1) No pixels, so no screen door effect
2) No latency in image, so no screen blurring
3) No light problems, since the screen provides its own high-contrast brightness
4) Very cheap option, since 5" TVs are ten-a-penny.
5) No cooling problems
6) Lots more to come but I'm tired right now so you'll have to wait.

Apogee,

1.if you cut a cone along the middle axis in 2 parts you have a triangle whose top angle is the complete light cone angle.
Divided by 2 you have the half cone angle. You can also say, it's the angle between the optical axis and the border lightrays of the beam.

2. Concerning mirror displays they don't mean dlp's but LCOS LCD- Displays, which have a different architecture from transmissive LCDs.

Hope i'm right with this.

xblocker

Bitch,

Using CRTs is very easy to handle if you only work with one bulb. But every colorbulb has pixels, formed by the electron mask.
In the 70s i had a single crt projector with a huge 3 lens objective, bur the screen image was only usefull with a curved aluminized sceen. With matte white all was to dim. CRT size was about 13". This was little better than this 100" TV Big Screen ******** that is offered everywhere still today.
If CRT then only three RGB bulbs separated, but this is difficult to handle. They don't need masks, bcause they work like B/W bulbs, but with very high anode voltage(up to 30KV). Further they mostly have convergence problems.
For DIY I would say, no chance, you better go the LCD route.

xblocker

Anyone interested in reflectors, especially for metal halides, might want to take a look at some of these aquarium reflectors. Sorry if these have already been pointed out.

Reflectors

keggers,
I would love to use that LCD, at least for practice (only $29!), but after looking into it several months ago, I found that it will not work as-is. I think it needs some driver chips. This link is from a message board that talks about this LCD, but I can't ind the source of info I had originally...for what it's worth:

http://wearables.blu.org/wear-hard-00/2000210.html

If you see any other good deals on small LCDs, please post here! Thanks.

Good luck,
f4

New OHP

Hi everyone. I just got in an EIKI 5751 MH projector. It has 10,000 lumens brightness. I projected it onto my wall and I can already tell it is going to work really well. The other nice thing is that it uses 1,000 hour MH bulbs! I should be getting my n'view z-250 panel in tomorrow and I am very excited to see the results. The replacement bulbs are only $ 100. I should be able to get a 10' screen off of this projector without any problem. I would suggest this projector to anyone that is considering OHP + lCD panel. So far i am at $ 311.00, the nest thing is the screen.

Screen Material...

Xblocker - Thanks for the reply! How would the half angle relate to light passing through the LCD displays? What I'm curious about is if the light would pass thru the display better if it were hitting the display uniformly but at a slight angle? What do you think? Is that what this is referring to in the context of LCD displays?

Had an idea today for screen material. There is a product in the building industry made by Dupont called Tyvek. It's white in color and is a semi-reflective finish....

One side is printed with the Tyvek name (which is a real pain) but I think the other side is plain white. I don't know if the name will show through or not.... They also sell it for a number of other uses such as signs and in that form it's plain white on both sides....

The advantage is that the stuff comes in large sizes since it's designed to cover houses, make billboards, etc... It has an interesting finish that might work really well as a projection screen because it's very white and a matte finish.... It's also very, very strong... It might be an excellent material that won't be overly expensive...

Home Depot stocks the stuff for covering houses....

Here's the general Tyvek info page... Check out the construction and graphics links (as well as the others...)

http://www.tyvek.com/

Just an idea,

Steve

Source for projector project components

Check out http://www.invsol-inc.com/catalog.asp Lots of cool stuff!

They have many panels to choose from, mostly 640X480.

I got one of my Elmo 7K lumen projectors from here...$150

These guys will sell the stuff marked "salvage" or "broken" as well. Again, a dead high quality OHP can yield a bonanza of optical, electrical and mechanical parts. Probably for $50 -

Call the number listed, dial 2 then # and ask for Greg. Tell 'em Joe sent ya ;)

CRTs

The CRT is called a tube, not a bulb :p

I'm glad someone thinks the CRT thing is gonna be useless....so I can prove you wrong and get this thing working!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I also add that when it's working, the net cost to me will be £0. Except I will maybe have to buy one single IC, which may cost a couple of pounds.

Will post pics in 2008 when I get it done.

Just for reference the guys on avs have recently been dsicussing a product by parkland plastics for screen material. It is pretty cheap less than $30 including shipping and works great as a DIY screen. You can also pick up there products at Home Depot and Lowes in the midwest otherwise you ahve to order it. It has been compared to the expensive screens from Da-Lite and has a similar performance. The product is PLAS-TEX Waterproof Wall Panel (.060 x 4 x 8 Bright White). For the full thread check here

Status
Not open for further replies.