DIY progress report

Nelson Pass said:
My friend David Berkley, famous wine guy, keeps trying to
talk me into putting away the good years for appropriate
aging. Alas, no bottle of wine lasts more than a couple of
days in my house, so I have to keep the cases at work.

My wife is the big appreciator of good wine, but I know she has a few long term bottles in storage in the wine cellar. Very few wines actually make good candidates for long term storage.

I think I have mentioned I am partial to Shiraz and a nice Reisling myself. I just brought in a box of Montecristo #4's for a friend of mine who runs a High End Audio store in Toronto as he loves a Merlot and a good smoke, and I love a good deal. :)

Anthony

Just to prove that I can turn this wine thing into a DIY topic (for those of you who might feel that we're getting off track), I hereby offer Papa Bear's recipe for a cheap wine cellar:
1 used refrigerator, any size, the bigger the better (cheap, often free)
1 external thermostat (from your friendly local appliance parts store)
Pull the rubber plug out of the back of the refrigerator where the ice maker water supply would normally go. Slide in the thermostat bulb. Seal around the lead. The refrigerator's AC plug goes into the thermostat, and the thermostat plugs into the wall.
Presto. Instant wine cellar at least as good as the fancy $2-3000 ones that you buy ready made. So how much did it cost? The thermostats run about $30-40. The refrigerator is up to you. You can also use a freezer if you happen to have one of those handy.
I'll take $30-40 over $2-3000 any day of the week.
And you thought I couldn't link wine to DIY...and it's even electrical in nature!

Grey

Im sort of mixing up the topics right now, might be because my wife got back from a linedancing trip to Germany tonight and brought whit her both Loch Lomond and some realy ok chilean cabernet sauvignon and australian shiraz, but as we were talking about wine i just wanted to say i agree with You mr Pass on the Zappa issue. Inca Roads for instance or Dinamoe Humm makes realy good companions to Brown Brothers shiraz or any Gallo Cabernet . And what wine could ask for a better environment to ripen in than inside a content person and to the tunes of a master?

I've been wanting to become more of a Wine savy drinker, and there are a few brands I've been shown by a friend who owns a couple clubs and resturants here in town. The finest he's served me is Silver Oaks. I know nothing else about it, other than it was a red, and he opened the last bottle he could get his hands on for my birthday. There was a SuperTuscan once than one of my best best friends bought when she and I had dinner one night. It still amazes me the markup on alcohol. I bet they didnt pay anywhere near the $100 a bottle we paid for it.
for a nice cheap, tasty wine, Yellow Tail Shiraz, and Il' B*stardo Sangiovase. $10 a bottle. cant beat it. And you dont have to fuss with storing it. LOL

All this talk about wine.................;)

Attachments

• gum.gif
    gum.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 883
I'm hoping I can fit a ZV7 (or earlier Zen) in here. After removing the boards, of course. The transformer has tapped secondaries so I would use the lower voltage ones.
Amp is a Technics SE-A5. Nice unit, but broken and deserves better guts.

Attachments

• 100-0081_lores.jpg
    100-0081_lores.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 624
Re: Re: well

Bricolo said:

Chateauneuf du Pape is well overrated IMHO, I like wines from Bordeaux much more (but I never tasted the Petrus)

Well technically Chateauneuf du Pape is not from a single grape like a Merlot or Bordeaux. It is actually a blend, I have a few bottles of a 1999 variety that will not be drinkable for another 6 years, I picked them up at an auction as a present for my wife. A good bargain really, only $150 a bottle. :)

Oh BTW... looking forward to the ZV7, though I am still waiting for Karen to put up the much delayed ZV5 PCB's for sale.

Anthony

Waiting on ZV7..............

The Sound of One Hand

The master of Kennin temple was Mokurai, Silent Thunder. He had a little protege named Toyo who was only twelve years old. Toyo saw the older disciples visit the master's room each morning and evening to receive instruction in sanzen or personal guidance in which they were given koans to stop mind-wandering.

Toyo wished to do sanzen also.

"Wait a while," said Mokurai. "You are too young."

But the child insisted, so the teacher finally consented.

In the evening little Toyo went at the proper time to the threshold of Mokurai's sanzen room. He struck the gong to announce his presence, bowed respectfully three times outside the door, and went to sit before the master in respectful silence.

"You can hear the sound of two hands when they clap together," said Mokurai. "Now show me the sound of one hand."

Toyo bowed and went to his room to consider this problem. From his window he could hear the music of the geishas. "Ah, I have it!" he proclaimed.

The next evening, when his teacher asked him to illustrate the sound of one hand, Toyo began to play the music of the geishas.

"No, no," said Mokurai. "That will never do. That is not the sound of one hand. You've not got it at all."

Thinking that such music might interrupt, Toyo moved his abode to a quiet place. He meditated again. "What can the sound of one hand be?" He happened to hear some water dripping. "I have it," imagined Toyo.

When he next appeared before his teacher, Toyo imitated dripping water.

"What is that?" asked Mokurai. "That is the sound of dripping water, but not the sound of one hand. Try again."

In vain Toyo meditated to hear the sound of one hand. He heard the sighing of the wind. But the sound was rejected.

He heard the cry of an owl. This also was refused.

The sound of one hand was not the locusts.

For more than ten times Toyo visited Mokurai with different sounds. All were wrong. For almost a year he pondered what the sound of one hand might be.

At last little Toyo entered true meditation and transcended all sounds. "I could collect no more," he explained later, "so I reached the soundless sound."

Toyo had realized the sound of one hand.