DIY progress report

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, I was looking forward to participating in this adventure and documenting it reporter style for you all!

How did I get this enviable position? After Nelson mentioned that they had attended the Fabrapp concert at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco. I complained to him, on this thread I believe, that I lived a few blocks from the place and presumptiously asked if they could tell me next time and I would mosey over to the place, pick up a ticket , and enjoy the show with them.

Well, the Pass Posse can't do anything halfway, and by the time the plans were finalized this morning, the day of the concert, they were going to pick my wife and me up in their stretch limo before the show and we were going to tour the city while drinking champagne! Our tickets were to be supplied, and a great time was inevitable. I got the impression that Ms. Pass is a great believer in doing the social whirl correctly and didn't want us to miss out. It was a great idea to schedule some minutes to actually talk before the music started.

It was never specified which of the Pass crew were to attend , but I was certainly hoping to meet those who had helped and corresponded with me (over years at this point)- especially Nelson and Kent the Cyclotronguy. Not to mention Karen the DIY Diva!

Then the whole thing collapsed as the show was cancelled, through no fault of the Passonians, Was some performer sick? or had they not sold enough tickets? we probably won't ever know.

Anyway that's the report. I'm sure soon another group worthy enough to get Mr. Pass out of his mineshaft will be booked at the Fillmore soon, and I will be happy to get a ticket and meet them at the door, or if they twist my arm, drink some champagne with 'em.

Yr Hmbl Reporter,
Variac

If someone wants to play with the idea ahead of time, dredge up the SOZ w/current sources thread. I believe I left the 8 ohm load resistors in, but it's not all that difficult to swap inductors for resistors.
The X part should be all that difficult by now.
Hint: You'll need big inductors.

Grey

Mr Pass
Looking for advice.
Need one more amp, my speakers are a bit odd, i use the Heil air motion transformer AMT 1a above 1500 and Fostex fe 103 sigma
up to 1500. The Fostex is accompanied by a RCF l12p48
up to 100. This works well with either the mosfet Citation or my 6550 Tube amp. The AMT i realy like, the Fostex is good but could be improved upon. The RCF is fantastic in the bottom end and works well to below 20Hz in my livingroom. But!! I need something that can hold the bass in a firmer grip.
It is a little bit soft and slower than it should, not strange with the tube amp but even the citation is on the soft side with this driver. The RCF works really well with an old PL400 in the bottom end but i use that for other purposes. So wich way among the Aleph versions should You direct me?
Thanks in advance

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would use an ordinary AB amp on the bottom end, reserve
the Aleph for the mid, and since the Heil is such a piece of
cake to drive, a nice Zen of some sort.

After that, a highly adjustable electronic crossover is what you
want. An XVR1 is what you want but probably can't afford, but
people are busy reverse engineering it, and I'll get the DIY
street version out this year.

Thank´s
I´ll start of in that direction, got a decent x-over, all fet design based on 2SK117, nice transistor available in close tollerances. it´s adjustable allright but via jumpers for setting steepnes and hands on changing caps/resistors and only output level pots. The 6550 amp will move to the guestroom driving the 6,5" drivers whit alnico magnets i found, they live in Voigt pipes which are really nice, the cat likes to sleep on the nice heat from the tubes anyway. Think i´ll try to go for parallelling the output devices in the mosfet Citation and use that for the RCF then build one Zen and one Aleph to see what works where, actually two Alephs as my son needs a new amp.
( He plays guitar, the PL400 does service in his PA )

Will submit progress and results.

Steal thunder? Nope. Don't know where I'd keep it. That much racket would keep me awake at night, and that I can do without.
Now, if I could only contrive some way to steal hours in a day...that I would do in a skinny instant.
(Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace '94. Yum! Pity it's the last bottle. Happy birthday, Olivia!)

Grey

P.S.: Oh, dear gussie! The '01 Bordeaux is hitting the market. What the hell am I gonna do for money?

GRollins said:
Steal thunder? Nope. Don't know where I'd keep it. That much racket would keep me awake at night, and that I can do without.
Now, if I could only contrive some way to steal hours in a day...that I would do in a skinny instant.
(Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace '94. Yum! Pity it's the last bottle. Happy birthday, Olivia!)

Grey

P.S.: Oh, dear gussie! The '01 Bordeaux is hitting the market. What the hell am I gonna do for money?

Should of bought Bordeaux futures!

:)

Anthony