DIY progress report

Yes, a single machine, a cube 20 miles on each side.

The fool, the meddling idiot! As though his ape's brain could contain the secrets of the Krell.

Attachments

• forb_generator.jpg
    forb_generator.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 917
Walter Pidgeon as Mobius. Anybody who remembers (or has a copy of) Forbidden Planet ought to remember that the starship commander dude is actually Leslie Nielson, later comedy genius. Lots of other weird characters too, including the guy who played Bart Maverick (Bret's bro') on TV. Can't remember the name of the beautiful woman walking with Nielson and Pidgeon down that catwalk in the middle of Krell city. Jeez, I am dating myself.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, Nelson says that the x circuit works even better with a 2 stage amp. Since the SOX needs a pre amp to get enough gain (is this true?) couldn't (shouldn't ?) someone develop a 2 stage SOX integratd amp with the first stage being the XBSOZ? There needs to be a feedback connection to the XBSOZ? Is anyone doing this already? Am I talking ****?

Variac wants to know

Mad_K said:
Aren't the input-resistors in figure 4 supposed to be 1K? (shown as 221R)

I think you are right, I did a sim with 220 Ohm and got too much gain and too little X-feedback, it must be 1K.

But the opportunity to adjust the drainvoltage level independendly in the SOX is just brilliant, the master uses the dc blocking cap at the input.
:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Henrik said:
But the opportunity to adjust the drainvoltage level independendly in the SOX is just brilliant, the master uses the dc blocking cap at the input.
:cool:

I did work up a scheme where the input is direct coupled by
tapping the resistors/pots to an even more negative voltage
level, but it was getting more complicated and I decided that
an input cap was easier to deal with.

Those who want to try it should go ahead - I'm sure several
of you can do it. :cool:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah Variac, such two-stage amp is called the AX or the other permutation

Well, yes, even I suspected as much BUT:
an Aleph X with:

:hot: :hot: :hot: BLAZING HOT RESISTORS!!!!!! :hot: :hot: :hot:

buahahahahahah!!!

1. It is appealing that the SOX is one stage, but it in fact has to be used with a pre to get enough gain Right?

2. The preamp of choice is the xbsoz

3. Henrik says it is preferable to use a special xbsoz to interface best with the xSOZ Does Nelson think that this is not so necessary?

4. So if a special pre amp is preferable, why not wire it into the circuit to get max benefit? I will now study the AX threads to see
how the AX differs from just connecting a XBSOZ with a SOX.
I guess I should make a modicum of effort.

;)