DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Jens,

Pardon me if its early for these answers.

But wasnt this tested around end points of its specifications?

If this turn out to be a functional bug it will be pretty inconvenient, especially for you and RTX.

Dont get me wrong, i do much appreciate this nicely done product you have made available at a great price for the diy community.

Good question! Apparently it wasn't tested sufficiently in this respect. :eek:
I put a lot of focus on the low level performance, making sure that the noise will be at a very low level and that distortion will be very low etc. The attenuator for the higher levels was not tested as much.
The problem that has been discovered now is a crosstalk issue between the overvoltage protection circuit (mainly some comparators) and the nearby attenuator. I am now working on a solution (a small add-on circuit), which will only enable the overvoltage detection when it is needed, that is, when selecting 10 dBV or lower input level settings.

whose software/hardware does multi tone FFT? (Low cost --- not AP etal)

THx-RNMarsh

ARTA can do multitone tests. I also did it with audioTester once, but I cannot recommend that part of audioTester.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@mbrennwa
That would be my preference. I have designed a small PCB by now, but I need to test it, hopefully tomorrow, and check the logistics in this in the next couple of days.

@cwtim01
I think that should be possible.
Per channel you need to remove two resistors (0603), attach a small PCB on top of an IC (SO14) and solder 5 wires from the small PCB to the Main Board, e.g. using enamelled copper wire.

B&W_arthur
Once your unit has shipped you should receive a track & trace number. Use that at a DHL track & trace page.

@mbrennwa
That would be my preference. I have designed a small PCB by now, but I need to test it, hopefully tomorrow, and check the logistics in this in the next couple of days.

@cwtim01
I think that should be possible.
Per channel you need to remove two resistors (0603), attach a small PCB on top of an IC (SO14) and solder 5 wires from the small PCB to the Main Board, e.g. using enamelled copper wire.

How will this affect performance?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jens,
That sounds like a decent plan. Of course, we will have to open the case to install the board. The small package can be posted as the analyser will work, just not at higher voltages. Inconvenient for me, but certainly not the end of the world.

What you want to avoid is having all these come back and be shipped again if possible.

-Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How will this affect performance?

It will not affect the performance at low levels. But it will remove the internally generated distortion (crosstalk) at high levels.

Hi Jens,

Further on, do you plan to redesign the motherboard in order to fix these issues?
No problems for those (such as Demian) who beta-tested your analyzer?

The motherboard will of course be redesigned for future production.
Demian hasn't complained about it, but I don't know if he tested at high levels. As long as you work at line levels there is no issue.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>As long as you work at line levels there is no issue.

Even at high levels it is not a big deal for those of use who work with tube amplifiers as the residuals are at least 20 - 30dB below what is possible for most good tube amps at even modest power levels.

I designed semiconductor ATE for a living (including a fairly high performance AC test instrument) so if you want a second set of eyes to take look at the root cause/proposed fix feel free to PM me. (Or not as you prefer)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not speaking for Jens here, but I wouldn't expect a replacement motherboard for an issue like this typically regardless of the situation, and in this case particularly in view of the astronomical discount we were offered in this group buy. (We're paying < 40% of MSRP)

Early production of a device as complex as this is likely to have a minor bug or two, if you weren't willing to take that risk the GB probably wasn't the best idea for you IMO.