DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have just made a test on an RTX6001 (from the prototype series) using ARTA. In ARTA the level was set to -11.5 dBFS to get a read-out level of -12 dBFS. See the attached. Settings like the ones shown in post #1251.

Attachments

• RTX6001 DIM_multitone_88k_loopback_-11.5dBFS out - Arta - 171124.png
    RTX6001 DIM_multitone_88k_loopback_-11.5dBFS out - Arta - 171124.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 494
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They are useful in various contexts, codec testing is one area where an IMD test is useful. (multitone FFT is my preference)

I have had this test capability for more than a decade, nonetheless I hardly ever use it and am not that good at interpreting the results.

Really good solid state designs may not be appreciably worse than the test equipment used to measure it, this will not be the case I think with tube gear, particularly those using chokes and transformers.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
High frequencies and high slew rates may move further into nonlinearities, also feedback decreases with frequency so any correction will be reduced. However in a bandlimited system like digital audio there are very specific limits on valid inputs. Clipping and hf above those limits may tease out bad things but really aren't relevant.

The ADC does of course have built-in filters.

I'm looking at the specs for this, and it says differential input and good for 100vrms. I was running about 40v to it from a btl amp and seeing huge amounts of harmonic distortion that's not actually there. I hook up a differential probe and the distortion is gone, but my noise floor is now hugely amplified due to the limitations of the probe. I tested this with two different amps and I'm getting the same results. I was hoping to avoid using differential probes for this reason.

Further testing shows that as soon as I pass about 6V on the inputs, the distortion becomes present. It stays at the same levels regardless of whatever attenuation I set.

Here it is direct into the RTX6001
7h0OK6Y.png

And here it is with a differential probe
SAtJpHf.png

This is direct in at 5.5V
Uxsrqsw.png

then 6.2V
s9guxwQ.png

And the signal on a scope
N0oKxtG.png

Then at varying levels of attenuation

1rsfamk.png

FSzEjcD.png

Kla7WDb.png

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Behavior seems to imply that the distortion is generated somewhere prior to the input attenuators since they have no effect on the distortion. Can you elaborate on cables and anything else connected in parallel with the inputs?

What are you doing on the output side of the RTX? Are you running near the limits of the generator on the range selected?