"DIY 1.5KW Bipolar Class-H"

Total Supply requirement:

+/-15VDC

+/-75VDC

+/-120VDC

All referenced to Ground.

Workhorse - If you got the PS all worked out - I don't want to start from scratch, plus have to ask questions because of the size and all. I'm down with contributing however I can - and we have a lot of wholesale accounts because of one of our BIG machinery CNC Business... So we can get parts, no matter how hard to find... Point is... If I can't help the design - I can order the PCB's, buy parts for the group, etc... All in all - I know how to design this PS - I just want it slick and with no version .2 ;-)

Don't want to feel like a leach.

I have the complete PCBs for power supply including auxillary protection and input board also, but i will share them after i can see interest of members in building this amplifier, the main thing is amplifier only. To power up the amp pcb is not a big thing for any one here, all you need is a toroid with rated voltage specs + bridge and capacitors.

I am now ;-) - The non-cheeky answer is that I went to University for EE a long time ago, followed by BS in Electronic Sound Synthesis & Recording & BA in Music. Have been building speakers for 20+ years, and am now getting into the idea and actual production of purpose-built amplifiers for my various sound-systems.... I know this is very NOT DIY, but I am using PCB printers rather than photo/acid/wash, because I know the details and how-to's, and don't want boards that are missing all of the professional things like printing, dual-layer and perfect drilling.

I am now ;-) - The non-cheeky answer is that I went to University for EE a long time ago, followed by BS in Electronic Sound Synthesis & Recording & BA in Music. Have been building speakers for 20+ years, and am now getting into the idea and actual production of purpose-built amplifiers for my various sound-systems.... I know this is very NOT DIY, but I am using PCB printers rather than photo/acid/wash, because I know the details and how-to's, and don't want boards that are missing all of the professional things like printing, dual-layer and perfect drilling.

Glad to know about you and your work.

What is meant by "purpose built amplifiers" you mean amplifiers in your active speakers are something else?

Well I mean amplifiers custom built to go with a particular multi-way sound system. Basically, to guarantee speaker protection, user error, etc - I want to force users to use a 4 way driver device (drive rack, simple 19" 1 space rack, or bigger and 'maybe' better), and focus on best box construction, tuned extremely well, but also knowing that over time people will change drivers - so the construction of the box becomes more important than actual perfect tuning... Instead of hand-drawing, I use Autodesk Inventor now, and have 2 big CNC machines to cut panels, make joints, jigs, or anything I need. (Like those beautiful hand crafted wood horns we have all drooled over at some time.)

Anyhow - I've learned over the years that people who buy sound systems never imagine what a replacement driver costs. They blow a JBL 8" transducer, call the shop, and find out a replacement is $600... so they buy a great eminence speaker, but it is nothing compared to the original. So I think it's important to make everything with this in mind... Start with RCF, B&C, etc... and end with ????

Design Cabinets for:
- Long Life
- routed-screwed-glued
- cabinets do not color sound through vibration or flexibility
- use findable pieces and parts (excepting some drivers of course)
- try for no internal electronics (if the speakers will still be used in 20 years, expect that it will be driven very differently than originally expected.)
-NOTE: One of my first BIG systems (20 cabinets, original amps, original power box) just re-found me. EVERYTHING is still in perfect working order, same cases, same wire, same everything. It is about 15 - 16 years old, and I sold it 11 years ago... and it was just installed in a new club down the road...I was pretty stoked to see and hear)