"DIY 1.5KW Bipolar Class-H"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tony - 6.98 Sounds great!

Where are you getting the toroid? Can you find me a toroid for a low price... or 2 X 1250 watt versions?

I really want to DIY some amplifiers, but I need to use them too. Someone called me with a quote today for $600 and I laughed at him. By the end of the call it was 2 for that price, but still $300 is much more than some other quotes, and they are too high as well.

Kanwar - The amp below is very similar - but I think the transistors are probably counterfeit.

ABout this amp - In the US, if I cannot build this with an SMPS, or find a toroid for less than $250, the toroid cost makes the amplifier cost more than I can buy a NEW QSC PLX 3602 for from the QSC factory. The QSC amp comes to us with no case and no fans, but the completely assembled boards, SMPS, I/O, switches, and display (everything except the case and fans) costs about $400... Less than the price for the toroid almost....

Everything is SMPS here now for weight. If I want to buy 500-1000 toroids, I can get them for $30- $50... but none of our suppliers will make just 1 for that price. If anybody knows where to purchase toroid's for a good price - tell me please...

This is the similar amp - same chips, GIANT toroid, and same specs....

Hey, not a big deal better go for a Behringer EP2500[qsc clone] for much less the price of QSC RMX2450. Its DIY not a profit or loss business design, build it for fun if you want it. I agree toroids are costlier than smps.:D

Last edited:
Tony - 6.98 Sounds great!

Where are you getting the toroid? Can you find me a toroid for a low price... or 2 X 1250 watt versions?

I really want to DIY some amplifiers, but I need to use them too. Someone called me with a quote today for $600 and I laughed at him. By the end of the call it was 2 for that price, but still $300 is much more than some other quotes, and they are too high as well.

Antek - Your reliable source of transformers, power supplies, and more.
Many trafo's...

Depending on who is interested - we can get them made in the States for about the same prices floating around... Between $35 - $65 per amplifier channel, and probably about the same for the rest of the boards together... I can also get them made in China, and using our Logistics company - Shipping is only about $5/k (2.2 lbs)

really liked this amp
I will make the PCB this week.. i'll post some pics when i finish..
can i use the MJL21193/94 for 2kw ?
Can someone help me with the panel and the power supply ? (it's my first DIY)

Yes you can use MJL21193/94 pairs for 2KW.

Don,t worry about power supply, its easy to do, do let me know when you are going to make the amplifier, i will give you complete power supply details.

Kanwar

Kanwar - All of these designs need I/O PCB's, they need at LEAST one control PCB, and they need the power supply. I know how to make a power supply. But this post hasn't even stated the rail voltages. I have no idea what the input voltagers are for signal. I don't know if the control board has pots to control the volume, leds to show power on, basically everything other than a nice single channel H class amplifier that does me no good without the other parts....

So not worrying about all of the other parts is fine to say - but if you are going to build this, all your money is a waste unless you have all of that information... not to mention the fact that people like a BOM to order things, trade, etc....

I know you guys are used to the aggressive boards, but this board is mellow. You should offer all of the information or none.... When I build anything - record in the studio - etc - I have all the tools, all the drawings and ideas on hand, and all the hardware I need to complete the project.... I don't start with a single part, and pray that someone sends me the BOM, the REST of the parts, etc... It's normal and logical. For a DIY to spend $100 just to get 1 of hundreds of parts, and have no idea what the rest of the parts are is illogical and possibly a pipe-dream it will ever be finished...

Eric

Also - When I learned this stuff, there were no IC's that had dual integrated mosfets, high power BJT's, IGBT's, etc.... there was no internet... So to re-learn, I like to visualize the circuits as I know they are, not just place an IC and connect the rights wires. I didn't have software to go from schematic to PCB... and NO WAY could I order a PCB and have it in a week...

So, now - getting a PCB with no values and MISSING the NC drill path is like having nothing but a bunch of red and blue blobs to look at. What goes through, where is the signal going on side B, etc... I need to see that for my own mind... cause I want to relearn all this stuff that I forgot over the past 20 years, and also learn how to do it with the new software...

Ya Dig?

Kanwar - All of these designs need I/O PCB's, they need at LEAST one control PCB, and they need the power supply. I know how to make a power supply. But this post hasn't even stated the rail voltages. I have no idea what the input voltagers are for signal. I don't know if the control board has pots to control the volume, leds to show power on, basically everything other than a nice single channel H class amplifier that does me no good without the other parts....

Eric

You told me that you want to make BOM yourself and also what about the power supply and front panel PCB files which i had emailed you a week ago. :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.