different ideas for ESL panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Charlie, have you ever measured the max spl of your panels?
If so at what power level and have you ever reached clipping on your amps?

Sorry, I haven't measured the SPL and I haven't pushed them to clipping the amps but I have exceeded my pain threshold a few times. They will play louder than I care to listen in my 16'x20' living room without straining the amps much at all. With 1/16" d/s spacing, 45% open stators and 68:1 trannys, the field densities are high so the panels are efficient. Not to mention that I'm bi-amping them with a pair of Carver amps outputting 225 watts/channel into 8 ohms (x 4 channels)-- that's a fair amount of power.

good news!!! spoke with Charlie, panels are perfect! I know it will be Easter Sunday, i am Christian, but there is forgiveness. Just have to ask for it.
Charlie found the he had enough special material left over, no heat gun will be used, a stretcher is in order.
When someone tells you, I have good news, that is sooo much better than, ummmm, we have a problem. excited obviously, good reason. no modifacations on anything so far, what is posted is what will be built, and the very promising words, "this should sound awesome". quote, Charlie".
stay tuned, four days closer to finish.
Nathan:)

charlie,just wondering,about how much power are you running on the esl at a average listening level?
the reason I ask is that during my transformer experiment that i had sugestions that my transformers might have to much capacitance and cause to much of a load for my amp.
I found this to might be the case or might not?
It might just be the simple fact that it is just too small.
However I did get them to play rather nicely and loud.
Mavric and I have the same tastes of music so you would know what I mean.
Even though the ones I am messing with right now are small they will get very loud with a single tone but struggle with music .
Which means the amp is not big enough and can't supply enough current continuosly.
I know I need bigger amps as these puke as soon as it hits a 70 to 100 watt peak even when listening at a 1 to 3 watt level.
So I'm just trying to get a feel of what kind and how big of an amp to build in order to get a moderatly loud setup without it breaking down and puking on me.
even though these are much smaller I am also much much closer to them which compesates for the size factor.
Also by by decreasing my d/s by about 30% I can also possisbly gain an extra 2db to 4db and this will also decrease my power requirements.
if you were to use a volt meter and measure the output voltage wlhile playing some music and note a few averages and a few peaks and post them that would give me an idea of some requirements.
If your willing and have the time to do so,if not thats okay too. jer

Mr. elctro man and verything in between, thanks for all the advice and help. this is not a good by, rather HELLO! thank you guys, girls, whomever so much for support and well.... there has not been one question i gave asked that was not answered. so , Cheers, Gracias,GFDYTFDYTD, much thanks and will see you very soon, plan on a pic with a very big smile!
If there are measurements that anyoneone are interested in, let me know before they go together, pics, whatever, thats why i posted everything. so anyone can get an IDEA of what these are, simply perfect. however, with alot of advice. And guidence from everyone whom have helped. the list is small but the advice is priceless, six people to be exact, and you know whom you are, i am greatful for the knowledge. Mavric:)

Ger, what do you plan on using for material? perf steel, metal mesh, or whatever you can get your hands on.
check this out,,, look for speaker grills for car audio, they are or about the same as what i have, round holes, allready coated, and cheap. Electronix Online
if i know you, this should peak your interest, let us know what you think.
Sunday is on by the way,
wise man says "woman who puts man in dog house, will soon find himself back in cathouse." better ask forgiveness than permission on this one, i want these yesterday, but patience has to be a virtue, still cant wait.
let us know Ger, about those grills. I have a ton of em' at the shop. Or anyone for that matter, check it out, its either good or bad.

yes,I had considered using those at one time and had discovered that parts express had some larger rectangular ones.I'm not sure if they still do.
I think I'll try the same process I used before but instead of powder coating the screen,
I'll use one coat of etching primer and several coats of clear acrylic as a don't think I will have to have such a heavy build as i did the first time around.
Because you can only have a certain amount of bias per stator spacing.
Anymore than that they will just arc anyway and the excess paint will just close up the holes to much.
Also using a clear instead of a colored paint should give me better insulating factor than my first ones did.
As I was pushing the envelope of having to much bias voltage anyhow.
I'm going to make a small sample one first to test with my new bias supply and see were it leads me ,and to see how much paint thickness will be required. jer

Last edited:
without a decent amp I'm having a hard time to keep pusing on with what i have at the moment.
I started brianstorming again and had some lightening about a big brute force amp in the kilowats range using some cheap readily available off of the shelf parts with a very simple and basic proven design and I ain't talkin bout 400 or 500 watts either.
I mean big ,big big,BIG BIG BIG BRUTE FORCE amplifier !
I love that stormy weather! jer

Last edited:
i have to love the southern accent. ain't? that tickles my toes.
there is a deffinition for "ebonnics" however 'ain't" did not show up.
Get some sleep, your are obvioisly hard at work as you have mentioned, just tried to to toss a few ideas your way. Appernently, they do not work or workable. I just see things around me now and wonder if "that is perfect" . late, work. later:D

Got a little some thing done today. jer

Attachments

• freshly panted staror.jpg
    freshly panted staror.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 244
  • freshly panited staror.jpg
    freshly panited staror.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 245
  • infamous - were's the rain dog-.jpg
    infamous - were's the rain dog-.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 251
  • refurbishingold  burn't stator close up.jpg
    refurbishingold burn't stator close up.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 243
  • another closup.jpg
    another closup.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 236
Ger, great looking, how do they sound or are you still trying to find a larger amp?
i see why you get the dog joke, that dogs pupils are dialated, what do you feed em' acid? JK.
Fire those up asap, everything here is a go for this week end, a few material changes, only for the better, and of course a lot of pics.
I just need to remember the RTA. this i will post a little later, i want to hear some real music, measure later.
stay tuned;)

These are the best sounding and most efficient smaller size ones I have made so far.
Due to the powder coating I have a higher insullating factor and more open area.
I just sprayed them with 5 coats with 6 swipes each and both sides with clear acyrlic.
They seen much environmental abuse in the last seven years.
although they still worked there was one week spot on the stator that burned a pin hole in the diagphram before I finshed it off with heat gun.
It still played wih that big gapping hole in it, just a little rattley.
So I decided fresh'in them up a bit.
The d/s on these were .068" and I have some material that will get it down .054" or .0475" and .039",as this would gain some 2db to 4db more efficiency but the thinner d/s will limit the low end excursion.
Won't know how much until I try it.
Sadie dog doesn't need any acid,she is a constant trip and always happy and when she is too happy you know she just did some thing bad,you know,dog's!
The diagphram is only 3.375" wide but to wide to try some .06 mil mylar and .5 mil kapton that I have, as that material only 3"wide. jer

the last pic is perfect looking, same thing mine look like only mine are silver. still tossing around an idea of putting a small light behind the stats to show what it is and look at the charaterics of the diagpghram while playing, i had a " puck" light in mind.
Just keep in mind, i want to showcase these, i will say it again, i have never heard anything like this in my lifetime, show casing does not mean for sell, it is just pure satisfaction, and i want to share it with everyone.

After the assembly, i will compete a video and post it on you tube, so if anyone is reading this, "what would be a good and easy title for it" just want evryone who has helped me and those who have not or those just interested to be able to see what it takes to build an ESL.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE, PLEASE, this is for everyone. i want to make a video, no talking, just a long slide show with notes, some or most with credit from you guys, and girls.
Happy early Easter everyone, this will be a blessed weekend. Mavrik:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.