different ideas for ESL panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dish soap vs Licron high gloss

:)ขอบคุณมาก,
I will not take any chance on this, i am not wealthy, and my budget is running out. dish soap is a "band aid" simple cover up to find the problem. We found the problem, Ger has alot if not everything to do with it, Licron high gloss, is what will be used on the diagphram, very good comments and nothing bad whats so ever, even the company said this is a great applicator the application.
เพื่อนของฉันจากไทยสิ่งที่คุณมีนเกี่ยวกับแอมป์ของฉัน curois. Mavric

unposted pics with blue tape

This is something Charlie had with him, pretty neat stuff, plyable, insulating, and well, kinda cool looking.
We first spayed the rhino coating followed by coats of poly eurothene, so shiny, smooth and silver. the blue tape is from what i gather an insulaing tape, not sure its primary purpose, but we were able to hold the panels on every edge and corner on full charge with no adverse effects, no archs, not even a worry, thats why that question was posted"too thick". no, just fine, dont know what perfect is yet, never will.
ขอบคุณเพื่อนสำหรับความช่วยเหลือและความเมตตาของคุณ
Mav

Attachments

• P4040318.jpg
    P4040318.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 397
  • P4040319.jpg
    P4040319.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 268
  • P4040320.jpg
    P4040320.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 270
  • P4040323.jpg
    P4040323.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 264
  • P4040324.jpg
    P4040324.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 246
i re oredrerd the 3m tape, Charlie was and is benevolent to provide some dighpram and went out of his way to order the licron, so now we wait. And i will tell you, there will be some restless nights.. Roger Sanders must have spent alot of time and money to get this right, from my readings, everything is SPEC, excecpt the coating. Licron, i hope it is what is , perfect. however, that anomally, something unexpected, so, the stats will be tested before peeling a way the two side tape, clamp them together and go from there.
I have great trust in the second attempt, and look forward to having my own, courtesy of all the help here,
stay tuned

Last edited:
well jer, you might have to make a very long trip. I would commute to Savannah but, rushing something is not my way. bracing, assmbling the electronics still have to be done. * my Tls are still at the shop needing rhino coating, not to mention the tv stand.
on another note, these amps are old 1990, what is the best suggestion to clean the boards? hopefully inexpensive, tapped out.

Just give them a good scrubb'in with a clean paint brush and blast em with some air should be goog enough.
If nessesary hit with some isopropel (rubbing) alcohol ,wash,rinse and dry.repeat if nessesary and let dry throughly before you fire'em back up.
And DO GET A HOLD OF ME before you coat the diagphram so that may give you some pointers on using a fresh can of licron.
YHEEEEEE CAN'T WAIT. jer

Just give them a good scrubb'in with a clean paint brush and blast em with some air should be goog enough.
If nessesary hit with some isopropel (rubbing) alcohol ,wash,rinse and dry.repeat if nessesary and let dry throughly before you fire'em back up.
And DO GET A HOLD OF ME before you coat the diagphram so that may give you some pointers on using a fresh can of licron.
YHEEEEEE CAN'T WAIT. jer

We've replaced the diaphragms with fresh clean 6-micron Hostephan and ready to apply the Licron Crystal when it arrives. Did one light coat work for you?

Charlie, Mavric told me that he had forwarded my number to you.
You can call me at any time that is good for you, as it would be easier to explain to you my first experience with a new can of licron over the phone.
Because, I have only used the new stuff briefly on one small panel so far.
I plan on redoing the diagphram on my little white panel,hopefuly today.
Now that I know that it works, I will try some more test samples today.
So that I can write a detailed report for everybody on diyaudio. jer

Last edited:
colored stat coating

I found some neat two part insulating material at work today, meant to take some pics. When i finish the weekend after this, i plan on spraying, using a regular spray, to apply it. I have indigo blue, emerald green, and yellow. sorry Charlie, no pink.he he he.
Jer, i do have plans on building small panels similar to yours that i heard over the soon. I think it would look neat with color that matches my decor around my office area using the lexan as panel. Just keep that in the back of your mind. A parts list would be great. i will use the 51% O/A perf, d/s thickness and diaghram thickness will have to into play as well, i have alot of black two sided tape left over,i think, dont know how much Charlie used on the diagphram stretcher, which i say is coolest thing i have ever seen, simple, elegant, perfect.
on another note, has anyone or can anyone who reads this see if relective window tint be conductive, either residential of for cars. I tinted mine with 20%, picked it up at lowes for 30 bucks a roll. but they have smaller samples and they allowed me take some FREE samples to what i liked. it has to be a least one micron or thinner. my reason on this is that reflective tint contains metal, maybe an oxide.
needless to say i am hooked on this, this is best addiction.

another project

Jer, i will send some information very soon about our conversation on the smaller esl's. this will include funding and research money. a DIY kit. I will as soon as i can put together the procedure and contacts to obtain that funding. This will take a little time, however, i am not in a hurry, just get the idea idea out of my head, that everyone can build a or AN esl at home, i will leave at that, you know where i am going with the idea.
thats why i posted "differnt ideas for ESLs" I have all day at work to thinnk and process my thoughts, i will post them, or pm you(or friends) on my ambition. I am very ambitious and will use every resource possable to achieve my goals. rather our goals to make this happen.
If you can, work on a parts list, i will PM you as soo as i get home, the smaller stats is what is on my mind, surround sound, di pole.
if a conventional speaker is used, you bottom out the voice coil as it will push down, smack the magnet and thats not the way a "traditional" speaker works. ESL's work both ways with no adverse effects on the driver, not mention much smaller.
Jer, if you can, take those esl's, the smaller ones, put one on one side of the wall, left wall, same for right side, do not point them at you, rather , perpindicluar to your seeting area and see how the dispersion sounds, i have a feeling if you space them far enough from any reflecting surafce, there will be a tru di pole surround. a fraction of the size that traditional speakers use.
Hard to picture? i will post some pics as soon as i can,
just keep in mind, i do not want the speaker behind me, rather beside me, left right at sitting area, the di pole reflection should feel the room with back ground sound as well asdispersion off relctive surfaces.
let me put it on paper, i will post that pic.

huge prize

i just obtained a 50" flat screen fro Magnavox, when you power it up, it will humm then shut down, flashing the red light 4 times, like an errror code. here are some pics, i will pull it apart tomorrow as all tools are at work. you are very smart and the first person that came to mind.
Great news, Sunday will be done day, the licron worked perfect! Due to you and Charlie. I was told that it looked thick as he sprayed, let it dry over night, and the thickness was around 2 micron. used the home made trannies and said they sound wonderful. Cant wait to mate them to the panels, wire up the other tranny, my self this time and post some pics.
The TL's still have to be sprayed so, not finished yet.
my head is spinning, freeeeeee tv, hope its not an expensive problem.:spin:

pics, it looked bigger than i thought, 37".
Thanks Jer for the very insightful information, wished you lived a little closer. I got it to power up up! but will check caps on power supply. this will complement the stats perfectly.
Tomorrow is the day, final assembly, finally finished, will try and bring home the RTA meter and place the mic in a stand at or around the sweet spot, problem is finding my cd with pink noise, not to mention the TL's have to be coated and still at work.
evryone have a great day, looking forward to some good posts and still working on the video section that will outline and show in detail "how to it youself" with HELP from others, look for final Sunday evening EST.

Attachments

• P4100332.jpg
    P4100332.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 203
  • P4100333.jpg
    P4100333.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 193
  • P4100334.jpg
    P4100334.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
no one had those caps except and old amp laying around. took some speaker wire, pulled all the copper out, used some spare caps with longer wire, soldered the extension, used the insulation from the wire to cover them and presto! plasma tv works new. I hade to use 75v though, but will still fit in the case. I think this mifgt be better in the long run as Jer and I discovered the same problem posted with other people.
Jer, there is a great job for you here, please think about it and give me a call. this simple repair was estimated at or around 800usd, took me an hour, and i do not work on tvs.
heres the dirty pic, have to buy a pencil solder iron soon.

Attachments

• P4110338.jpg
    P4110338.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 85
7:AM, heading to savannah, i will finally jave these in my home! one last thing is cleaning my amp boards and checking that fuse rating is correct. After that it is set up and crossover settings.
This is the end of the beginning. MAVRIC
rough pic of the tv, my wife wanted to watch a movie.

Attachments

• P4110339.jpg
    P4110339.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 82
some more pics.
I have had these playing full range for hours and hours, they seem to get a little louder, or one to be exact, fried a transfomer. as they play, the sweet spot seems to be a little wider, there is nothing like this I have ever heard, just one fills the entire house crystal clear off a cheap wally word casste/cd player. untill a low note comes in, the OFF.

THANK YOU CHARLIE!!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH, TIME, EXPERIECE, and i hope you had a good night, seemed a little chipper this morning.

Attachments

• P4110340.jpg
    P4110340.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 151
  • P4110341.jpg
    P4110341.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 143
  • P4110345.jpg
    P4110345.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 134
  • P4110342.jpg
    P4110342.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 122
  • P4110343.jpg
    P4110343.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.