different ideas for ESL panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4 farad? Don't discharge that with a screwdriver! Bye-bye screwdriver :)

By the way adding more capacitance to your amp's power supply is probably okay but you might need to put an inrush limiter or NTC on the primary side of the transformer. Otherwise fuses may be blown at switch-on (or, in extreme cases, rectifier bridges)...

HTH
Kenneth

Thanks Kenneth and Charlie. it never hurts to ask, so if its not broke, dont fix it.
transformer came in, working on that now, have a temp settup, using the crossover to finaly have stereo to check and make sure everything works. then break it back down again( whih i hate to do, one sounds so good, now two?) Going to Charlies blog, i think anyone reading this should have a look, its the url under his posts. good stuff!

mavric : "Thanks Kenneth and Charlie. it never hurts to ask, so if its not broke, dont fix it. "

I have to agree with that one.
But, if you feel the urge you could add more, if needed.
IMO, 10,000uf seems a liitle shy, as I expected 15,000uf or 20,000uf range, although the amp is only rated for 125 watts.
10,000,uf is A.K.A just enough for that power level as we have discussed this before. jer

Last edited:
mavric : "Thanks Kenneth and Charlie. it never hurts to ask, so if its not broke, dont fix it. "

I have to agree with that one.
But, if you feel the urge you could add more, if needed.
IMO, 10,000uf seems a liitle shy, as I expected 15,000uf or 20,000uf range, although the amp is only rated for 125 watts.
10,000,uf is A.K.A just enough for that power level as we have discussed this before. jer

mavic's amp has four of those 10K uf caps

Hong Mei? is that really you from China? Lucia? How did you find me? Mavric?:confused:
this will make an interesting day, Hong Mei, is friend half way around the world, smart, itellegent, athletic, a real go getter, and very polite person. If this is is really you, i am very glad you found me.:):)

Hong Mei?

Hong Mei? I will post a pic if you dont mind, i will wait untill you say yes. this is confusing and i am not sure how this showed up on this post. gotta go to work, check later.
THE STATS ARE FREAKING FANTASTIC!q!!!!!!!!!! PLAYED A LITTLE, but had to hang them up untill the rest is done, will post pics later, Mav:)

here are some pics, changed camera setting. the bias power supply and step ups are from Charlie's very engineered mind, which i say work perfect, the schematic is on his web site with three variations, check it out, its worth it!The Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page very informative, it has alot to do with my enthusiam with ESL concept(s).
the smaller enclosures were a kit fom Parts Express, very impressive sound and effient, they are tempoary untill the other things come together.
Still, no one i have invited over believes that is a speaker, no one. I find it funny, very funny when i put the equipment togther and show them what they really sound.
stay tuned, more to come. this is becoming a very long post, I have learned more in 3 months than the 18 years i have in the car audio side, my reps were stunned when they ask, "whats in your car?" i tell them"R and R" whats R and R, thats a radio and a radar detecter, my home theatre is different, blown away by the stats as they have only seen pics off my camera. One person mentioned "Acoustistat" if not mistaken, gonna look that up.

Attachments

• P4140357.jpg
    P4140357.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 182
  • P4140358.jpg
    P4140358.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 178
  • P4140359.jpg
    P4140359.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 170
Thanks Jer, the coating on the stats is from rhino lining cover with a few coats of eurothane , it has a weird hue, which i liked, something different instead of mainstream, i used the little duhicky to just make sure the bias worked, then connected back to the traditional speakers, no tl. They sound exactly the same, as i played at a low volume. I noticed that the further away, the wider the sweet spot, which is obvious, but directing both panels at say, 20 feet, that sweet spot is about 10 feet by 10 feet, amayzing.
I have not finished the complete setup yet, thats temp for now, this weekend with weather permitting, will finish the tv stand, but still have to coat the tl's and stand with rhino lining.
I will take some more pics, just to show how transluencent the diagphram is, you can see right threw it. Thats why no believes thats what was playing, saw the other speakers, and then noticed they were not connnected at all, simply amayzing.
Charlie, i am still waiting to see if what i left you for coating will work. I believe it was Flame Red and Indigo blue, i have Emerald green as well, would like to hear your thoughts on that. When ever you get a chance, another project is brewing in my head.

Gitty

I cannot wait as well, just need someone to come in and have something rhino lined,
cut on the machine, heat two 55 gal. drums too 200 deegrees, and yes. spray the tl's and tv stand and have nice day.
Just so you know, it takes about four hours to rhino a truck bed, prep work takes a long time, the machine and compressor draw over 100amps@240vc, the electric is crazy.
Thats my problem and cannot wait show the final product.

Hong Mei, if you are reading this......
从保持从前到后阅读。说有一个工作在不同的想法。请跟我打招呼时的时间。纳丹 , Mavric

The frames and tl where my idea at first, untill i was told someone had allready made that deighn, thats where the tl's come in, i would love to credit as i copied the eclosure a little, but this was a group project after all, i could have never done this alone. you know who you are, thank you.

here is a pic of the stat brace, notice the notches to give a little for the foam insulator that sounds the entire enclosure. Charlie did this a very nice table saw, no dado blade, just this is perfect as well.

Attachments

• P4120347.jpg
    P4120347.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.