different ideas for ESL panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• pchina3.jpg
    pchina3.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 242
The plasma consumes alot less energy than that tank of a projection set does,trust me!You just don't notice it because it is in a big box.
Why do you think they water cooled those crt's in there?
Each one of those require 150 to 250 watts each and about the same for the rest of the circuitery.
IMO it all depends on what looks the best. jer

power consumption?

Ger, that plasma has multiple fuses all over the board, by gig sreen has a 5 amp fuse for the entire set, the only one in the cabinet, i am not saying that you are wrong, but it generates no heat. I understand its like running three CRTs at once, at five amps?.
Tell you what, let me take it apert and clean it, as i do every now and then, now is then, since the TV stand will have to be tested, i will take alot of pics.
A picture is worth a thousand words, if you wish, the model # of the rear projection tv Sony KP-53HS30 . if you do what you do best, can you find out how to use the remote control to do alighnment, manualy, it has flash focus, but there is a sequence to put a grid on the tv and align erything one inch at at time and i guess the exit mode, its an old rear projection, pic is still good, nothing like the plasma, but very nice picture(4*3) format vs 16*9 format.
and there is no water cooled projectors, as far as i have seen.

I hate speculating, take a look and tell me what you think. I know you are right and i am wrong, just curoius about power consumption, ever light in this house is those squilry things, inacandecant bulbs. Very interested in this, please let me know your thoughts.

Dark pixels in a plasma panel don't consume energy, while pixels in a LCD consume constant energy regardless of their intensity. So the rated power of a plasma doesn't tell the whole story, power consumption is modulated by the average intensity of whatever you're watching.

mav,Acccording to the sony manual they claim it only consumes 260 watts.
I find that very hard to beleive.
And the maganvox claims to consume about 480 watts.
The only way to truely tell is by using a power consumption meter.
You are trying to compare to compleately different technologies.
Like I said you have to go by what looks the best to you and I,m sure the WAF has alot more to do with that decision.

hit by lighning

my big screen got hit a few years ago, it was less than a five amp fuse i replaced. Its not that big of a deal, the plasma has a wonderful and I would it with my new setup, just use the system when watching movies, music, etc. I was mainly curious, and you know me, i have plenty of questions.
with that said, the rear projection is used the most, the plasma is new to me and i kinda covenent it.
I guess time will tell, there is no way im am taking that thing apart again, to dang heavy just for some pics.
And the stats where made around the tv anyway, lets see how it works, this will be interesting and probally alot of moving equip around.
500 watts is alot, and all electronics will be on the same circuit.
do some thinking and let you know my thoughts, maybe pull another circuit(outlet), ummm, hmmmm, will let you know.
thanks for looking those up, BTW.:)

wicked buzz

i took some pics, curious if the tape is not sticking to the stats very well, almost sound like something not compressed, running @ 500hz and above, nothing lower, you cannot hear it from a distance, but is pressant at the stat. If it is what i think, the tape not sticking to the staor well, any suggestions please, NO this is not full range yet,
>since the tape covers up the o/a , would it be wise to expoxy every six inch or so, as the stat paanel tend to bend away from each other. I have big ears and are wide open. they sound so well, perfect, you have to put your ear to it to find that sound, like the giaghpram is bouncing off the tape. here are some pics, i have my finger on the area and a larger photo.

Attachments

• P4180368.jpg
    P4180368.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 206
  • P4180369.jpg
    P4180369.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 165
orange object?

I used my camera for the pics, noticed an orange spot , just tried with a 500 watt halogen and cannot see it, neither front or back.
if these arc, what would it look like? i hope thats not it, just a glitch.
zoom in on the pics above my finger, tell me what you think it is. I will try same area at different angle, almost looks like rust.
If anyone mind giving me a PM on email, I can send a high res pic. I will continue to look, maybe lighting here, please let me know your thoughts.

I feel like an idiot, that is from the wall of my home, the diagphram is transparent, blonde moment, please dont give me a hard time on this, rather have it deleted, but make fun if you want.

Last edited:
mdf

My father did not make it on time, so no tv stand unless i use partical board, which sucks on so many levels. post next week, unless i can get it sooner and do it after work.
stay tuned, '
the other project is still a concept,
> 4 stats, very narrow, very tall,
> change the wall outlets to 240vac,
two large panels side by side a different angles, to increase the the sweet spot range. ' I will draft some ideas and post them later, boxing just came on.

>short story, wire at 240 vac, use the same amount of electonics, but for 'four panels'
boxing is on, later.:)

i took some pics, curious if the tape is not sticking to the stats very well.... i have my finger on the area and a larger photo.

It seems to me that if the tape were to let go, it would most likely remain stuck to the diaphragm and let go from the stator because the stator surface is 50% holes so has less surface area for the tape to grab onto.

Also, I think you would see a separation between the tape and stator or diaphragm if the tape had let go.

At the place you are pointing to in the photo, the tape looks to be in full contact with the stator. Have a close look along the tape support strips on both sides of the stator-- can you seeing any separations anywhere?

Also, try gently pressing the panels together along the tape line-- can you see or feel any gaps closing anywhere?

If you find no problems with the tape joints (and I don't think you will) then any buzzing you hear must be caused by something else. Are you hearing any buzzing that could be in the 60hz range?

i have a 500watt hallogen light, i will inspect them, to honest, i have been playing at full range, at very , very low volume, just lound eough to hear at 15' away, only voals and piano, like "Chopin" my wife like "Jewel". while playing, i cut all the lights off and inspected the panels to check for arching, nothing present, it will take some time to inspest tape front and back.
I am dissapointed that i was not able to obtain the MDF, they closed befor my father could get there. My father has been very involved in this, he wants his own, he has been with me every time to Charlie's, Charlie is very inspiring and i appreciate the devoted time that he benevolent to give. Not to mention , he knows his stuff. great respect.

I will get the light and camera, i wont be able to post pics, changing setting, but i can view on the camera or my newly aquired plasma in full deatail, lower the setting and post pics there, in case there is something i missed. they will have markers every 6" from top to bottom, a quadrent if you will, isolate, and hope it is nothing, as far as 63 hz, i myself have a pretty good ear, so unplugged the stats, let a powered sub play crossed @100hz, and they nothing hardly coming out of the sub(not the TL) even at high volume.

Let me look and thanks for the support, CHarlie, and Chinsetawong.

i have a 500watt hallogen light, i will inspect them, to honest, i have been playing at full range, at very , very low volume, just lound eough to hear at 15' away, only voals and piano, like "Chopin" my wife like "Jewel". while playing, i cut all the lights off and inspected the panels to check for arching, nothing present, it will take some time to inspest tape front and back.
I am dissapointed that i was not able to obtain the MDF, they closed befor my father could get there. My father has been very involved in this, he wants his own, he has been with me every time to Charlie's, Charlie is very inspiring and i appreciate the devoted time that he benevolent to give. Not to mention , he knows his stuff. great respect.

I will get the light and camera, i wont be able to post pics, changing setting, but i can view on the camera or my newly aquired plasma in full deatail, lower the setting and post pics there, in case there is something i missed. they will have markers every 6" from top to bottom, a quadrent if you will, isolate, and hope it is nothing, as far as 63 hz, i myself have a pretty good ear, so unplugged the stats, let a powered sub play crossed @100hz, and they nothing hardly coming out of the sub(not the TL) even at high volume.

Let me look and thanks for the support, CHarlie, and Chinsetawong.

You can't hurt the panel playing music full range but you could saturate the trannys playing full range if you play it loud enough nd that would probably sound crappy-- would probably fry a cheap/low powered amp too.

Try turning everything off (music and amp off) except leave the bias power supply to the diaphragms powered up and see if you still hear any buzzing.

Thats the first thing i did. no buzzing, i did notice the tape, on 1/2 of the stator all the way down, from tpo to bottom.the other side has about 1-16" over hang, exposed, let me try a a pic.
you know the sound of tape coming off a surface? thats the best analogy, only present at the panel.
once again, i will put them away untill i have the audio set-up, i do not think there is anything wrong, as a new person, i will persue everything untill i understand things complete, i hope it will be complete NEXT weekend. , this will prbally be my birthday gift, cinco de mayo.
:)

stat pics, with tape about 1/16 off, from alighnmment.
>no buzzing with no music
>>nothing period

>this is the best pic

> I will hang them up untill next weekend, in other words, not play them at all.
> use proper equipment setup, as i was supposed to do.

>they sound so good, so it is hard not to play, bummer.

>and why is there a Santa Clause pic on my right?:santa:

Attachments

• P4190373.jpg
    P4190373.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 216
zoom in

try the zoom in function on the lower left of the pic.
> the tape is coming away from the stat, not the diagphram.
> can i use some kind of injection adheisive, such as epoxy? just in three holes at the most?
> they sound awesome, its a minor thing i noticed, they are new and i would imagine that the tape will conform to the stats and stick over time. the material to coat them was very shiny, and the size from left to right, i think the next ones will have a little more tape to hold them together.
>all ** aside, these are the best sounding, over engineered, and no corner cut set up i have ever heard.
>Ger, dont think i will use the q tip, just zoom in on the pic, like i said, not a big deal, just something to consider next time on a wide panel. Or suggestions on differnt tape as the stats are not powder coated. So many variables.
> next prrogect will consisit of four esl's, two per side.
let the fun begin, and funding, this will be later in the year.
cant wait, something different, :santa:
i like Santa, whom ever put that there, its kinda funny!

Mavric,
I can see from the photo that the tape lines on the front and back stators don’t exactly line up but I can’t say that I see a gap there. If there is a gap, you should feel it close and bottom out if you press the panels together along the tape line. Even if there is section where the tape let go from the stator, I would expect low output (but not buzzing) from that area. Did you try pressing the panels together along the tape line to verify if there is a gap there?

proper installation

With proper installation using the equip i have, there will no more issues as that was the disign from the get go, getting wood tomorrow( he he sounds funny) and will build the tv stand.
Charlie, when you get a chance, try that colored bi-mix stuff i lleft for you, berfore i brount it you i played with a little of it, i think it would make a graet stat coating in the future, thats also why i left the perf scraps. No hurry, just curious. thanks for the insight with my stats.
Ger, if you catch this, i would appreciate if you will help setting up the crossover, like what plugs in where, and which button to push,read the manual and it still has me guessing. Later:deer:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.