• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Design of transformers for valve amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the site from edcorusa is very reliable but as i say before the difference with for a µrel=480 is not that big.

Here is a site i use: http://www.nssmc.com/product/catalog_download/pdf/D004je.pdf

M6=35z155 (the data is for un-cut cores so EI will be less good)

I use 23zh85 and 30zh105 (i have also other materials)

That would be great, an experimental check. :)

Calculations I did with μeff ≈ 481, however in datasheet there is not μ, then I took that value from Edcor M6 lamination μ ≈ 47000 @ 16000 Gauss (DC) only to estimate the air gap. ;)

https://www.edcorusa.com/t/Mtr-Core-Steel

μeff = [Bdc(max) 9 l] / [4 π Np i(DC)]

Last edited:
For UI you need two bobbins and 3UI is for three phase (power)transformers.

UI is very useable for PP transformers

btw for really high quality c-cores, series sm; se; sg; su or s3u, are much better
See also:
http://www.waasner.de/produkte/transformatorenbauteile/transformatorenbauteile/

I was having a look in the site where i bought the EI cores i have, and they say that they have high quality EI cores, UI cores, and 3UI cores...does someone know what are UI and 3UI cores ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, but in the next time I'll also use horizontal partitioning, say, like the RF choke in the photo.

That "horizontal partitioning" is called "Vertical Sectioning" because original winding is divided into vertical sections, is just semantic anyway. ;)

Hi Popilin ! Thanks very much for your exelent work ! Now i will ask a friend to wind this transformers for me acording with your calculations, and check the results with my ears, i dont have any equipment to make tests on transformers.

Best regards

Nothing to thank, we are here to help each other. :)

If you have any doubt, please ask me, if I know the answer no problem, if I don't, I will sign to you an "explainenture" remember that I think slowly. :D

I don't think the site from edcorusa is very reliable but as i say before the difference with for a µrel=480 is not that big.

Magnetic materials has a magnetic permeability µ, that is in the manufacturer datasheet, if you add an air gap that magnetic permeability is strongly decreases to the µeff value, I bet that, as is common today, you use mks units, the worst of the worst for electromagnetism, introducing µ, µo, ε, εo, with its own units, this is a madness to confuse people. ;)

Fortunately Edcor guys use cgs units, =Gauss, [µ]=dimensionless. :)

Dumb people like me, we love cgs units, because all is easier. :D

Last edited:
Tip#6 How to evaluate distributed capacitance

Suppose a winding like fig.2, we have N primary layers, at point Mp1

Ce = (2.5/N)² C1

At point Mp2

Ce = (3.5/N)² C2

At point Mp3

Ce = (8.5/N)² C3

At point Mp4

Ce = (9.5/N)² C4

Where Ci is each interwinding capacitance between P ans S, so total distributed capacitace

Cd = (2.5/N)² C1 + (3.5/N)² C2 + (8.5/N)² C3 + (9.5/N)² C4 +...

If C is the average interwinding capacitance, then

Cd ≈ C [(2.5/N)² + (3.5/N)² + (8.5/N)² + (9.5/N)² +...]

Attachments

• FIG2.pdf
    151.8 KB · Views: 97
Tip#7 Where to connect +B

Distributed capacitance is increased from +B (0 VAC) to anode of the valve, U VAC, so the best place to connect +B is on the outer side of the whole winding, far from core, because each interwinding capacitance is increased from inside to outside.

Popilin,

I went back and using the formuale you posted calculated teh values for the transformer I wound.

Usingenglish units formuale I never could resolve teh winding count.

Using the formulae you posed I came out within 5%!

TKS

Steven

Hi Steven

Glad to know that equations works so well for you, indeed, I suffered the same in early days, that's the reason I derived it.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Tip#8 Vertical Sectioning

Let's consider now a normal winding as in fig.3a, suppose that interwinding capacitance is C and interlayer capacitance is 3C, total distributed capacitance is

Cd ≈ C [(2.5/12)² + (3.5/12)² + (8.5/12)² + (9.5/12)²] ≈ 1.26 C

Total winding capacitance is

(Cw)⁻¹ ≈ (3C)⁻¹ {2 {(4/3x3) [1-(1/3)]}⁻¹+ {(4/3x6) [1-(1/6)]}⁻¹}

Then

Cw ≈ 0.25 C

Then total shunt capacitance

Cs = Cd + Cw ≈ 1.51 C

Let's consider now a split winding as in fig.3a, all areas are halved, so

Cd ≈ (C/2) [(5.5/24)² + (6.5/24)² + (17.5/24)² + (18.5/24)²] ≈ 0.63 C

Total winding capacitance is

(Cw)⁻¹ ≈ (3C/2)⁻¹ 4 {(4/3x6) [1-(1/6)]}⁻¹

Then

Cw ≈ 0.07 C

Then total shunt capacitance

Cs = Cd + Cw ≈ 0.7 C

It works!!! :cool:

Attachments

• FIG3.pdf
    151.7 KB · Views: 99
That's coherence
Popilin, You make full justice to your Calculin avatar!

Thanks! But I do not deserve.

That's why my wife calls me Calculín. :D

You're right looking at shunt capacitance but this kind of sectionizing rises Leakage Inductance to the sky :(

Yves.

Agree, but the trick is to lower shunt capacitance, nothing more, sometimes can be useful. ;)

I will make calculations for cross connected primaries, I bet leakage inductance will be not so high, but not today... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.