Dayton 8" FR PS220 Discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nO ideA...

I am not a Karlson fan myself, and have no basis to say anything one way or the other about them...

I would think that they are not intended to work all the way "up" in frequency, due to the distance between the driver and the Karlson slot creating a lot of unwanted reflections, and the lack of dispersion due to the slot, plus the diffraction fron the slot edge...?

_-_-bear

... What I intend to do is to take these drivers, more of less as-is and slam them on the back of some very large heavy wood 150Hz. tractrix horns that were likely intended for use with another 8" driver (not by me) that have been sitting around sucking up free space for a decade or so! We'll see what we get, since the driver appears to have something of a rising response up to ~1-2kHz, I think it might make for a "magic" result. Or not. ... It's really just for fun... make some noise... see what happens... ... _-_-bear

Well,

Any magic ? ;)

not so far in that particular horn... i was hoping others would have tried them in a standard cab...

Hi all

seems like the specs changes a little bit ?
I've a pdf (nov 2010) from PE-site
FS: 37Hz, Qts: 0,27 Vas: 131 liter
kippel as a pdf-document at PE.

Actually, the new parameters are:
FS: 45Hz Qts: 0,30 Vas 79 liter
from actual pdf dated april2011

Both parameter-sets simulate somewhat identical in a horn.

for bass reflex enclosure:
Try a 40-50L BR tuned to 45-50Hz.

Last edited:
Someone's measured specs:

GM

Attachments

• dayton_ps220_8_TS_DATA.png
    dayton_ps220_8_TS_DATA.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 659
Green in the sense of young, immature and in need of further development? Because, apart of that dip, what are you going to do with the 15dB rise between 0.4 and 3.5 Khz? That is almost 6dB/octave, but not quite.

I still don't get how you could work with this speaker, without some heavy DSP or analog filtering intervention. Which defeats one of the main purposes of full range, which is not having phase shifts because of filtering.

You might encounter delams using ply this way. Furniture grade birch is great stuff, but it was not designed to be used like this.

you got that right - "furniture grade" quality can vary to a laughable degree - while not at all a fan of the stack laminated method for several reasons, a better grade material would be shop grade Baltic Birch or similar HDP (high density plywood) - sure it costs more, but as they say in the millwork trade - CCM (no matter how you do it, curves cost money)

In other words, to use this speaker, you would have to combine Mayhem13's advice to get rid of the dip at 400 Hz by building an OB, with GM's suggestion for a compound horn to tilt the rising slope above 400 Hz downwards..

Both is solid advice, but to combine them is beyond present enclosure technology.

Although I agree, vacuphile, that this FR is ugly and would most likely not suit my tastes at all, I believe it is work able. I would put it in a wide enclosure, like 500 x 800, so that the diffraction would fill in the hole a little, and baffle step would flatten the bottom. Then from about 5 or 600hz on up, I'd use a strong baffle step compensation and possibly a notch at 3500hz.

Sure it's no longer a purist speaker and has an awkwardly huge baffle, but it would give a 90+db sensitive full range speaker, with good extention, and without to much circuitry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.