Dayton 8" FR PS220 Discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
promised pix

here is the business end of the driver, as it arrived.

The flash from the camera reveals the fiber in the cone, and gives a good look at the surround and the whizzer & phasey plug...

Attachments

• BEAR's-DAYTON-220-.jpg
    BEAR's-DAYTON-220-.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 814
The dip in the frequency response between around 300hz and 1khz suggests that this can be best built into a slender front baffle so that the baffle step effect can somewhat flatten this part of the curve.
From 2khz onwards it could probably benefit from some correction.
All in all an interesting driver.

Bear are you starting a project with these ?

Btw is it 99$ for a pair or each on pe ?

Sort of. Nothing particularly well thought out or scientific.

What I intend to do is to take these drivers, more of less as-is and slam them on the back of some very large heavy wood 150Hz. tractrix horns that were likely intended for use with another 8" driver (not by me) that have been sitting around sucking up free space for a decade or so! We'll see what we get, since the driver appears to have something of a rising response up to ~1-2kHz, I think it might make for a "magic" result. Or not.

Beyond that, we'll see what others come up with as far as mods (a la Deckert? or EnAble), or whatever and play with them later that way if this is less than wonderful.

It's really just for fun... make some noise... see what happens...

_-_-bear

Sort of. Nothing particularly well thought out or scientific.

What I intend to do is to take these drivers, more of less as-is and slam them on the back of some very large heavy wood 150Hz. tractrix horns that were likely intended for use with another 8" driver (not by me) that have been sitting around sucking up free space for a decade or so! We'll see what we get, since the driver appears to have something of a rising response up to ~1-2kHz, I think it might make for a "magic" result. Or not.

Beyond that, we'll see what others come up with as far as mods (a la Deckert? or EnAble), or whatever and play with them later that way if this is less than wonderful.

It's really just for fun... make some noise... see what happens...

_-_-bear

can you share box plans with us / me ?

sure, build a 150Hz tractrix horn truncate it so that the throat opening is suitable to mount the driver of choice, ur done! :D It really is that simple.

Ok beyond that there are choices as to leaving it open back or doing various different things to the rear radiation, including an enclosure.

It will be quite a while before I arrive at a "total solution" for the driver and this horn. In fact it may very likely end up never really being finished. But should I arrive at something that I feel is reasonable, I will post it up. It will be quite a while no doubt.

_-_-bear

Slamming Of Tractrix + 220

Ok, today I slammed the 220 onto the tail of a tractrix that was intended for another 8" "FR" driver... I did not build it. It is made from bent plywood, probably over some core, since it is rather light... pictures to follow after I get time to download and photoshop them...

Initial reactions:

- it plays louder than expected, more sensitivity than expected
- there was insufficient boost in the lower mids to meet the top
- very directional in the HF installed in this horn
- overall presentation was good, rather more "presence" than expected, but not objectionable
- horns sound nice
- vocals not bad at all
- not a lot of real HF extension (sounds like a drop ~5k up) but that could be due to the position of the driver down the throat of the horn
- sounds pretty good listening to the rear too!
- I was listening to one channel in mono

I might change my mind after measuring and then seeing what EQ might be beneficial, but I would not recommend a 150Hz. tractrix horn with this driver, unless the problems I heard can be solved and you do not mind sitting pretty much on axis in front of major large horns.

Btw, these are "square" horns.

My thinking is that if one was going to front load these in a horn that the JMMC horn would be preferable since it has a wider HF dispersion that is more even...

Ok these are some intitial reactions.

Otoh, I also have a prefab'd cabinet that takes an 8" that i will also try out...

If my feet were held to the fire, I'd say that this driver has a lot of potential. IF it could be made as flat as the Decware version, I would be most surprised, but that would be something exceptional. The 220 may still be a "best buy" for a $99 driver, for DIY systems as-is. Seems like EQ will be needed on the top end, and maybe the midbass region (dunno how it will be in a standard cabinet), but if the sensitivity does not get dropped then it is a best bet for people to get a good sound and use lowish power amps...

A lot of "ifs" in that...

OH, keep ur wallet and other stuff away from the back of the driver - a WHOLE lot of stray magnetic energy there!

Seems like they could have bumped up the flux in the gap with a somewhat better magnetic circuit...

How did it sound? Not bad overall even as it was. Nothing terribly harsh or icky jumped out. The horn/sax "region" is somewhat present as I heard it on the tractrix horn, but that could be due to the horn geometry and not the driver itself.

Worthy of more experimentation and consideration.

_-_-bear

PS. sorry that I can not offer up FFT looks at what I am doing, nothing at all is currently available or set up. :(

... believe it will be a complicated driver to get a flat FR from. Would be interested in additional measurements as well....
Hi

this driver shows the typical full range rise in SPL towards higher frequencies... very close to e.g. visatons B200. Needs some bafflestep correct or L-C-R...

when looking at the two statements / comments from users on PE site, i would be interessted in knowing what the differences in TSP are...

With the given parameters it simulates quite nice in 50L BR tuned to 40 to 45 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.