• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding the S/PDIF >48KHz locking issue, I think kgkim has found the reason

Through oscillator, it seems the stock circuits does not produce proper TTL pulse pattern for ES9018, causing widespread of incompatibility issue. Probably the production board was not thoroughly tested with 96K/192K S/PDIF source before mass production.

Can someone verify the output of LMV7219 with oscillator, with various passive components combination? This might the way to figure out a working solution.

Attachments

• DAC-END R SPDIF Problem.jpg
    DAC-END R SPDIF Problem.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 338
Regarding the S/PDIF >48KHz locking issue, I think kgkim has found the reason

Through oscillator, it seems the stock circuits does not produce proper TTL pulse pattern for ES9018, causing widespread of incompatibility issue. Probably the production board was not thoroughly tested with 96K/192K S/PDIF source before mass production.

Can someone verify the output of LMV7219 with oscillator, with various passive components combination? This might the way to figure out a working solution.

So you say a 0.1uF before the spdif transformer will solve the problem for any source ?

coax spdif at 192KHz

Actually I have only the first release of this DAC, I should receive soon another board.

In this first release was present only a capacitor before the op-amp on spdif signal.

Here is playing with XMOS USB-SPDIF source at 192KHz without problems.

I am using this old DAC module to test the new firmware and controller working with 4x20 LCD.

Attachments

• Ph_192KHz.jpg
    Ph_192KHz.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 313
Hi Audiodesign
Tomorrow I will try the dac in the recording studio.
What configuration do you suggest to use for AES/EBU and SPDIF inputs?

Thanks

You need to add for both these input the capacitor after the spdif input transformer.

2uF MKT is good, there is a pcb jump to cut called Cxx, I don't have the DAC module now to indicate the xx numbers.

So you say a 0.1uF before the spdif transformer will solve the problem for any source ?

Based on kgkim's findings, the TTL pulse looks slightly better but I'm afraid it is still not enough. Otherwise he would not design his own circuits to overcome the issue.

I'm also wondering would substituting Murata DA101C pulse transfo with Newava S22083 make a different? Seems unlikely as DA101C works in other DACs.

PS.
My typo error in #1922, should be "oscilloscope", not "oscillator".

Last edited:
I second that notion "this is my best dac until now" - or stg like this. That is true I have never had one for 22000 neither for 2000. It is better on LowRes than my older equipments too.

I am listening to the dac now with an Xmos i2s board it is better than Amanero - I only used Amanero with usb power. I have tried the dac with Xmos DS, KS, Wasapi event, Asio driver in foobar. All works except dsd it works only with Asio. Conversion to pcm 352k is ok with KS and Wasapi. I think now too my problem is with Windows or the Amanero drivers not with the dac. Maybe I do not know some driver, windows or foobar settings.

Last edited:
I second that notion "this is my best dac until now" - or stg like this. That is true I have never had one for 22000 neither for 2000. It is better on LowRes than my older equipments too.

I am listening to the dac now with an Xmos i2s board it is better than Amanero - I only used Amanero with usb power. I have tried the dac with Xmos DS, KS, Wasapi event, Asio driver in foobar. All works except dsd it works only with Asio. Conversion to pcm 352k is ok with KS and Wasapi. I think now too my problem is with Windows or the Amanero drivers not with the dac. Maybe I do not know some driver, windows or foobar settings.

To play DSD with Foobar2000 is necessary ASIO driver or ASIO4ALL driver proxy.

Why not use JRiver, it is very simple and it play both format without problems.

To play DSD with Foobar2000 is necessary ASIO driver or ASIO4ALL driver proxy.

Why not use JRiver, it is very simple and it play both format without problems.
Because I imagined before I bought the dac stg like a silent mini pc with ssd and a minimal windows configuration(an xp enough -unfortunately there is no sacd iso playback in linux yet) remote contollable by android and connected to a NAS by wifi (as far as I tried wifi may work) or ethernet. Foobar is good for this and will be good I think when all commercial developer abandone xp.

Somebody has to port input_sacd to linux and all things can go to the NAS

Last edited:
coax spdif at 192KHz

Hi guys!
Problem solved :D

Lmv7219 replaced with that acquired from rs-components.
Now locked from 32khz to 192khz without any glitches.

Tried with two input configurations:
1) input transformer + 0.1uF and 75r to ground
2) no input transformer + 0.1uF and 75r to ground

Tried both configurations with 1mt TV cable and 0.5mt tasker c123 cable.

Tomorrow I'll replace Lmv7219 of AES/EBU input and go to recording studio for the test...

Attachments

• 20131018_185737.jpg
    20131018_185737.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 431
  • 20131018_202950.jpg
    20131018_202950.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
The sound is in another categori WITHOUT the transformer.

But it can not lock on 96 khz.

I am going to change RCA socket to Wbt 75 ohm Next Gen.

I compared it with Emm Labs 22000 dollar Dac tonight. I used it with 100 ohm Amtrans I/V resistors into an 10 kohm input Preamp. The Emm Lab was better. Then I tried to change the high capacity cable to Bertram low capacity. Now the difference was smaller. Then we used the Dac direct into 47 kohm input 750 W Musical Fidelity monoamps.

Now we was not sure if there was any difference between HQ dac and Emm Labs.

Super Output for DAC

below is the circuit diagram for DAC output, use the LL1684 transformer, can use the V DAC output. For example: ES9018 .....

And some PCB pictures, invite you to watch!

Attachments

• ll1684 out 5.jpg
    ll1684 out 5.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 135
  • ll1684 out 4.jpg
    ll1684 out 4.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 143
  • ll1684 out 3.jpg
    ll1684 out 3.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 339
  • ll1684 out 2.jpg
    ll1684 out 2.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 347
  • ll1684 out 1.jpg
    ll1684 out 1.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 412
  • Super Output for DAC.jpg
    Super Output for DAC.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 198
Could you make some photos of regulators and check the firmware at the switch-on ?

There's no indication of firmware version during startup. I'll take the photo, but it seems to have all the mods on the shunt.

BTW, tested USB Amanero using Daphile player, smooth from 44 - 192, including DSD files. I don't use other digital inputs as I will use it 100% for computer based music setup.

Going to test V-out mode & remove the Amanero regulator.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.