• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andrea, received the package you sent.

Fantastic! I can now have music! The Amanero module you sent works perfectly - both channels, PCM and DSD (in linux). Not tested Windows - I don't normally use Windows, anyway. Shall do more testing this weekend.

Tried the standby modified PIC you sent me (57a) - the function is worse than my existing version (56c):

Power Button switched on in DAC: standby mode
Power button on remote switched on: DAC relay turns on and DAC powers up but no LCD backlight
Power button on remote switched off: DAC remains on (relay does not switch off) and LCD remains off

I did not try the flat cable and standard PIC without standby.

I would very much like to put the DAC from powered on to standby (switch the relay on and off using the remote). This should be possible?

Shall send you a separate email.

please add your problem or correct the problem info

This is the current list:

1) smoothquark [SOLVED]
problem: with USB input DSD plays fine but PCM is completely silent, right channel does not run on USB input but coax all ok
solution: Amanero has been changed

2) judo [PARTIAL SOLVED]
problem: USB input work only at 44KHz in KS, ASIO OK
solution: using ASIO driven all ok, still problem in KS and DS probably Windows Vista not compatible with Amonero driver, still to check.

3) misterwolf [OPEN]
problem: no lock over 96 KHz also after some modification
solution: to check

4) masterkey [SOLVED] [waiting the confirm]
problem: no work with usb input but work good with coax and optical input
solution: masterley will receive a new DAC module

5) misterwolf , Halook [SOLVED]
problem: spdif does not work with some non standard sources
solution: eliminate the 75ohm and add a 1uF capacitor after the input transformer (cut the pcb jump).

6) MattMax - [tested ?]
probem: tweeters of my loudspeakers emit a hissing sound when the DAC is on mute
solution: see point 2, apply #1586 and add a caps to filter high freq. on DAC output

7) Erlend Sæterdal [ tested ?]
problem: More than 11 mv offset with OPA 1612
solution: have you tested different op-amp ? have you apply the mod. #1586 ?

8) bertchai [tested ?]
problem: using Mac 0.5s at the beginning of the song is missing/silent
solution: try the version with automute delay reduced, post #1724

9) Claudio52 [DAC OK - TEST IN PROGRESS ON AMP]
problem: noise on output
solution: DAC all ok on measurements, he are testing the amplifier

10) Some [SOLVED]
problem: Amanero USB module not recognized from PC
solution: the USB pins on pcb touch the DAC shield, so cut this

11) Some [SOLVED]
problem: lcd wrong characters
solution: change the flat cable or solder the wires

12) Many [SOLVED]
problem: firmware update
solution: the best method is to use the Pickit2 available on Ebay shop and Amazon, there are some cheaper clone

13) Many [SOLVED]
problem: little oscillation on power supply shunt
solution: follow post #1586 and #1626

Hi Andrea, received the package you sent.

Fantastic! I can now have music! The Amanero module you sent works perfectly - both channels, PCM and DSD (in linux). Not tested Windows - I don't normally use Windows, anyway. Shall do more testing this weekend.

Tried the standby modified PIC you sent me (57a) - the function is worse than my existing version (56c):

Power Button switched on in DAC: standby mode
Power button on remote switched on: DAC relay turns on and DAC powers up but no LCD backlight
Power button on remote switched off: DAC remains on (relay does not switch off) and LCD remains off

I did not try the flat cable and standard PIC without standby.

I would very much like to put the DAC from powered on to standby (switch the relay on and off using the remote). This should be possible?

Shall send you a separate email.

I have wrote the 57a standby version without test it because I have sent my DAC module to masterkey to replace original with problems.

I should receive another DAC module from Quanghao very soon so I will resolve the bug on the firmware 57a standby.

If possible buy a Pic kit 2 or clone to update the firmware when it will be ready.

I have wrote the 57a standby version without test it because I have sent my DAC module to masterkey to replace original with problems.

I should receive another DAC module from Quanghao very soon so I will resolve the bug on the firmware 57a standby.

If possible buy a Pic kit 2 or clone to update the firmware when it will be ready.

Thanks. Yes, planning to buy a pic kit soon. I would like to "play" with the firmware too. Would also like to get triggers working - my only reason now to use my preamp is for the triggers.

This is the current list:

1) judo [PARTIAL SOLVED]
problem: USB input work only at 44KHz in KS, ASIO OK
solution: using ASIO driven all ok, still problem in KS and DS probably Windows Vista not compatible with Amonero driver, still to check.

2) misterwolf [OPEN]
problem: no lock over 96 KHz also after some modification
solution: to check

----

3) smoothquark [SOLVED]
problem: with USB input DSD plays fine but PCM is completely silent, right channel does not run on USB input but coax all ok
solution: Amanero has been changed

4) masterkey [SOLVED]
problem: no work with usb input but work good with coax and optical input
solution: masterley have received a new DAC module

5) misterwolf , Halook [SOLVED]
problem: spdif does not work with some non standard sources
solution: eliminate the 75ohm and add a 1uF capacitor after the input transformer (cut the pcb jump).

6) MattMax - [SOLVED ?]
probem: tweeters of my loudspeakers emit a hissing sound when the DAC is on mute
solution: see point 2, apply #1586 and add a caps to filter high freq. on DAC output

7) Erlend Sæterdal [ SOLVED ?]
problem: More than 11 mv offset with OPA 1612
solution: have you tested different op-amp ? have you apply the mod. #1586 ?

8) bertchai [ SOLVED ?]
problem: using Mac 0.5s at the beginning of the song is missing/silent
solution: try the version with automute delay reduced, post #1724

9) Claudio52 [SOLVED]
problem: noise on output
solution: DAC all ok on measurements, he are testing the amplifier

10) Some [SOLVED]
problem: Amanero USB module not recognized from PC
solution: the USB pins on pcb touch the DAC shield, so cut this

11) Some [SOLVED]
problem: lcd wrong characters
solution: change the flat cable or solder the wires

12) Many [SOLVED]
problem: firmware update
solution: the best method is to use the Pickit2 available on Ebay shop and Amazon, there are some cheaper clone

13) Many [SOLVED]
problem: little oscillation on power supply shunt
solution: follow post #1586 and #1626

So now the problem is only the lock over 96KHz with some sources ?

Last edited:
Hi
Mine dac cant lock to above 96k on spdif .
My source is a squeezebox touch incl plugin to 192k play back.
When playing via usb fron the squeezebox then the dac locks ok to 192khz.
Ps. The same plug in on the squeezebox enables bith 192k and usb play back

By the way... This DAC is so good in sound quality. This DAC is the best DAC i ever have owned.. Thank you very much to Audiodesignguide "Andrea" and Quang Hao for designing this unique product.

Br
Caad

Last edited:
SPDIF input over 96KHz

Hi
Mine dac cant lock to above 96k on spdif .
Caad

ES9018 chip is able to accept 192KHz on spdif input but the ES9018 want 3.3V TTL level input so we have used the circuit suggested by ESS to convert the low level spdif to 3.3V TTL.
This circuit load the spdif source with the standard 75 ohm.

Have you made some modifications ? These should be make as progressive steps after a test ?

1) remove the pcb jump and insert the 1uF or 2uF after the spdif transformer

2) remove the 75 ohm input resistance after spdif transformer

3) ac bypass the ground of the primary and secondary of the spdif transformer with 0.1uF

4) eliminate the spdif transformer

Someone can modify this list on the experience made and report the max frequency obtain.

Last edited:
Quanghao, Andrea - I am delighted with the DAC since replacing the Amanero. Need to test more this weekend. By the way, is there a schematic for my standby modified controller? I am wondering whether I can somehow piggy back a 12V trigger to activate my power amps? I realise I may require another 12V transformer. Also need a way to power off the relay so that standby works properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.