• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-ASH (dac-end 2 up date)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you helped me locate the problem. The 74H is not outputting the right voltage. I just got off a long very frustrating chat with Quanghao.

If there was an issue with the output the sound would be very different. I believe I have to get the 74H working then deal with the output I/V if they present an issue.

Yes, I ordered this board because it is a copy of the AN board but with better power.

What I need to know is this: If both chips blew up what caused them to blow up in this circuit? I have never blown one of these chips. I know both were working fine. When I put them into the board they both measure exactly the same - being off.

I could order more 74H chips but if the board is blowing them up OR if there is an issue with the PCB then there's no need to order more just to blow them up. Maybe something is shorting to ground in that area?

I did remove it once and got the same distortion

I just checked for shorts on the 74H pins. No shorts to ground.

Since the 74H data sheet shows what looks like internal diodes I measured the pins like diodes as shown and the chip measures how a diode would ie readings in only one direction.

So what are the potential areas that would pull down its voltage aside from short to ground which I don't measure?

Last edited:
Just for grins. Here's the Audio Note Dac board schematic (kit board not production board)

Attachments

• dac_dig.jpg
    dac_dig.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Hi,

it seems that the chips are not the reason, because you changed them all with no result.
Are you sure that all of the chips receive the 5V?
You should measure the voltage at the capacitors close to the chips.

If it is wrong there, the fault must be BEFORE the actual dac chips, either the salas shunt or the tl431 circuit.
I had a similar bug, because I soldered some wrong resistors (belonging to the tl431 circuit), so the chips had the wrong voltage, although the salas shunt was working properly.
When the tl431 has not enough voltage, it distorts btw.
I blew one ad1865, fortunately I had another one.

good luck, it is worth the trouble soundwise...

cheers,

Juergen

I did a continuity check to ground on all the pins of 74H last night and there was no short there.

Just now I removed the 8414 then tested the 74H. Same result
Then I removed the 1865 - Same result
Then I swapped in and out the CS and 1865 and no result.

Does this chip have a closer relationship to the CS8414 or the AD1865?

I get fine voltage on the V-in of this chip just not on all the v-out

I completely give up. I'm happy for others who were able to make this board work but I cannot.

I looked at every single trace and touched up every single solder joint. There is no change at all when the chips are in the board. None.

I suspect a problem with the PCB but I have no clue. Its no frustrating and defeating. :(

I completely give up. I'm happy for others who were able to make this board work but I cannot.

I looked at every single trace and touched up every single solder joint. There is no change at all when the chips are in the board. None.

I suspect a problem with the PCB but I have no clue. Its no frustrating and defeating. :(

I not Know, what i can help you now??
only say, please sent to me, i can fix it to you!

I no known where it is wrong in the PCB??
there are many member was successful with PCB!

Hello Well i have sorted the heater volts out 6.3 and hv +300.

On the other board the rails are + 5v -5V that was the easy part .

All the 5v points around the chips are ok except pin 12 on 1865 it reads 2.5 v traced it back to pin 12 on 8414 it reads the same ?

i noticed that the led l19 did not come on .

am taking apart to check for bad joints .

cheers john

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.