CSS EL70 & CHP-70 Comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
don't worry von.ah - even those of us working closely with Dave have trouble keeping track of the nomenclature for all permutations - of which I doubt 1% have actually been executed

Even dave has trouble... and often the prefixes and suffixes are in flux. Chris has personally build well more than 1% of the miniOnken family.

dave

I take it this is v. 2. CHP-72s that is being discussed?
Is this to be taken as a more general disappointment with the update that driver?

Not having heard the earlier version I can't comment on the "update" and I'll assume Mark achieved his design goals for the CHP7.2. It's just not my favorite of his drivers - and it's no secret that I happen to prefer the Alpair 7 to the 10 and 12 - other listeners will certainly have their own opinions.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
afaiu the comparison was done with the chp70 in an enclosure designed for the el70.

The boxes Kyle compared (and that i have available for anyone to come by and borrow) are each optimized for the driver installed. Boxes are net 4.7 litre. This theorecticallt would give CHP a bit of edge since i figure it is optimal in 9 litre, EL70 in 13 lutre so CHP is closer to opitmum.

dave

Not having heard the earlier version I can't comment on the "update" and I'll assume Mark achieved his design goals for the CHP7.2. It's just not my favorite of his drivers - and it's no secret that I happen to prefer the Alpair 7 to the 10 and 12 - other listeners will certainly have their own opinions.

I for one would be interested in those opinions...
I have no doubt that Mark and co. did their very best and had good intentions, but that isn't the same as having a hit with the customers.

I for one would be interested in those opinions...

let the games begin

I have no doubt that Mark and co. did their very best and had good intentions, but that isn't the same as having a hit with the customers.

It's my understanding that Marks' FR tailoring of CHP70.2 was in response to input from customers - in other words they were designed to meet a particular tonality.

The fact that he (Mark) elicits such feedback, and responds accordingly when possible, speaks volumes to his character; that a wide base of customers will have different tastes, and reactions to particular models / upgrades etc., speaks to our own individuality - these things can co-exist.

let the games begin

It's my understanding that Marks' FR tailoring of CHP70.2 was in response to input from customers - in other words they were designed to meet a particular tonality.

The fact that he (Mark) elicits such feedback, and responds accordingly when possible, speaks volumes to his character; that a wide base of customers will have different tastes, and reactions to particular models / upgrades etc., speaks to our own individuality - these things can co-exist.
Sometimes listening to the customers isn't the best idea. Recall Ford Edsel, New Coke and PC Jr as classic blunders of that kind. People often don't know what they want and other times a small very vocal minority (who also don't know what they want, but are very convinced they do) outshouts everyone else.
But with a very special market like DIY audio, people just be might capable enough in general to make good judgement.
I'm just interested to hear if that is the case, or if people are generally disappointed with the update?

Last edited:
Sometimes listening to the customers isn't the best idea. Recall Ford Edsel, New Coke and PC Jr as classic blunders of that kind. People often don't know what they want and other times a small very vocal minority (who also don't know what they want, but are very convinced they do) outshouts everyone else.
But with a very special market like DIY audio, people just be might capable enough in general to make good judgement.
I'm just interested to hear if that is the case, or if people are generally disappointed with the update?

Language, written and spoke, being imperfect, in every exchange there are 2 opportunities for mis-communication / understanding (just ask a long married couple ) - so the designer(s) (Mark in this case) can develop a product / upgrade that meets a perceived criteria, but wasn't really what the customers thought they wanted after all.

As to the final sentence in your post above, who knows how many folks have heard all drivers in question in approximately same enclosure designs to form their impressions? I know that I've heard two of them ( CHP70.2 and EL70); they don't sound the same, and in this case I happen to have a clear preference - I'd be surprised if other folks didn't have a different opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.