CSS EL70 & CHP-70 Comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks ! - well it does look to me that the ERT26 would be useful for off-axis response based on the curves you obtained.

Driver compatibility between CHBW and EL-70 looks dodgy - XO design values would have to change, box tuning may not work either. So not obvious way to repair the speaker if I lose an EL-70. I may have to look at options for protective grills !

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
CHP70.2 is similar to CHR70 in terms of box, (~70% based on the optimum volumes i use) and the 4 ohm (EL70) vrs 8 ohms (CHP) would render a redesign of the XO mandatory.

So thet'd go into 6 litres each, but they'd not sub for either of DaveR's designs. If you want to pursue those maybe look to DaveR's CHBW+ERT.

We are doing a variation on that last.

dave

I guess, given that Mark has been constantly improving his technology with new drivers and generational upgrades it's unrealistic to expect longevity for a particular design, although one or two of them may have legs (e.g. A7 ?).

This is where the Frugal Horn 3 does well, in being less sensitive to the details of the driver the investment in the cabinet can outlive any accidental damage to a delicate driver. Avoiding the use of any XO on the full range unit would then be a good strategy - the addition of a tweeter, if required, would have to be on the basis of a 'simple cap on the tweeter' style of XO.

Last edited:
I have an (as yet) unbuilt EL70/ERT26 "kit" from Bob that does indeed have a cap on tweeter "XO". Two choices of cap, two choices of resistor.

I guess, given that Mark has been constantly improving his technology with new drivers and generational upgrades it's unrealistic to expect longevity for a particular design, although one or two of them may have legs (e.g. A7 ?).

This is where the Frugal Horn 3 does well, in being less sensitive to the details of the driver the investment in the cabinet can outlive any accidental damage to a delicate driver. Avoiding the use of any XO on the full range unit would then be a good strategy - the addition of a tweeter, if required, would have to be on the basis of a 'simple cap on the tweeter' style of XO.

I've just built a set of Derwent speakers with the EL70 drivers in them. They sound a lot bigger than a 4 inch usually does. It's a shame the EL70s are getting hard to get hold of. May have to buy another set before they are gone.

I fancy building another set of speakers, maybe the Windermere 2 speakers. Would they work with parallel CHR70s in them? Also, if I wanted to add the ERT26, could I use the crossover shown in post 77 as 2 x CHR70s in parallel are the same impedance as the EL70?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
(Previous post has details for TM.)

Here is the TMM (or could be arranged as MTM) using (2) EL70's and (1) ERT26
The impedance was measured with all drivers mounted in a .50 ft^3 vented box tuned to around 55 Hz.
Again, measurements made in room, floor/room bounce below 500 Hz or so.

Enjoy! :D

I took a long hiatus from DIYAudio shortly after asking for the crossover details, so I apologize for the lack of thanks.

Thanks! :D

I am very seriously considering making a TM or MTM with these drivers in the future. Will have to post about it when I do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.