CS3318 PCB Layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
simonp54, yep, the caps are just DC blockers, they have very little attenuation even at 10Hz. If you don't want to use them then you would need to fit wire links across them as you say. For R1-R8 you must NOT fit anything at all, wire links here would short the input signal to ground and you'd get no signal into the CS3318.

This board includes analogue and digital regulation. The digital input voltage must be between 4V and 12V. Analogue input must be between 11V and 25V (technically even higher is allowable) but anything over +/-15V input and you might require heatsinks on the regulators (LM317/337). I use 8V on the digital input and +/-14V analogue.

In@7*2 is just an Eagle designator showing that these pins are connected together on the device :)

@Dr_EM
Sorry to be a pain... (if i am...) but im unsure as to the reasons for the Resistors on the input and the output paths of the CS3318. I wonder if you can explain their reasoning for being there. My product is switching inputs in and out and as such i think i might need them?
Cheers

Hi, it just depends if you're switching the balanced inputs or if you're using a balanced receiver per input then switching the unbalanced lines internally?

If you're switching the unbalanced signals internally I'd leave the resistors there, they ensure the capacitor isn't biased when the input is connected since both ends of it are grounded, hence you avoid a click/pop when the input is switched. If, however, all inputs are connected to their own balanced receivers, then the output stage of these receivers does this job.

It sounds as though you're using 8 output balanced drivers and so the CS3318 isn't driving to the outside world directly (actually, it never should do IMO). If it were, the output series resistors would be critical to ensure the CS3318 doesn't go into oscillation when driving the relatively high capacitance of a coaxial cable of unknown length. Even so, you're driving some internal wiring so it is wise to use a small value here, 10-22R should be fine. This article explains the function and shows some other techniques, but for audio frequencies and driving purely resistive loads (as we typically are at line level) the simple resistor works well:

ADI - Analog Dialogue | Capacitive loading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.