Comparing LME49810, 49830 and 49811

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Layout for 4-pair ThermalTrak

Here is the layout for Triple-EF ThermalTrak. Output Zobel network is not included. I think it is better mounted on the output binding posts.

Attachments

• layout.JPG
    layout.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,279
Class-A bias EF output stage

I use bias the EF output stage in Class-A for up to 18 W/8 Ohm (49810+MJE15031/30+ThermalTrak). The DC rail is +/- 24V. The performance is very very good!!! Here are some curves. This is a nice (affordable) 10 W Class-A amp!

Attachments

• THD vs output 10 kHz.JPG
    THD vs output 10 kHz.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,180
  • THD vs output 1 kHz.JPG
    THD vs output 1 kHz.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • THD vs freq 10W 8R.JPG
    THD vs freq 10W 8R.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,065
Although 49810 and 49811 are "very" similar, 49811 has better PSRR over frequency (from data sheet and my measurement). Does it contribute to better sonic performance?

As pointed out by Mark/audioman54 that 49811 output is Class-A whereas 49810 output buffer is Class-AB biased. I recently measured Vee and Vcc current of the chips. Does 49811 Class-A operation contribute to lower THD compared to 49810?

Are the chips being used in any products?

Panson,
Are you putting the 3 pair boards up for sale on your website yet?
With the added width of the thermal trak chip it seems we should have better cooling with the increased contact area.
What number thermal trak diodes are you having to use to attain proper Vbe in the circuit?
Does anyone know if the LME49830 is using a class A driver?
Nice work Panson. The specs on these chips is quite exceptable.
Tad

Panson,
Are you putting the 3 pair boards up for sale on your website yet?
With the added width of the thermal trak chip it seems we should have better cooling with the increased contact area.
What number thermal trak diodes are you having to use to attain proper Vbe in the circuit?
Does anyone know if the LME49830 is using a class A driver?
Nice work Panson. The specs on these chips is quite exceptable.
Tad

Hi Tad,

I can measure the Icc and Iee current of 49830 to "know" whether its output is class-A or not.

Yes, the new boards will be added to my website. For the ThermalTrak diodes, I will do some tests (for 3-pair, 4-pair) and present the results.

LME49811 and LM4702 heatsinks

If you run the LME49811 at 50VDC you don't need a heatsink. I have run the exact amplifier in AN-1490 (the LM4702 chip which is in a Bigger Package than the LME49811) in my sound room for 3 years at 50VDC without a heatsink along with the 10 or more prototype demo units at National Semi when I was still there. I have also run the LME49811 (smaller package than the LM4702, i.e. cheaper) mono blocks built in the same enclosure as the stereo LM4702 amps at 50VDC without a heatsink for a lesser time period as well... However at 75VDC rails you will need a heatsink! (The heatsink listed in the BOM on AN-1850 was the only one that we found that fit the LME49811 and 810 and is a pain to mount!) Please if anyone who is heatsink savvy out there knows of one that is a better fit please let us know, as that would be wonderful! I also wanted a hole in the packages to be able to screw on a heatsink but was unable to get that!

In addition I also wanted it in a metal can but that turned out to be quite difficult! We did actually try and get the packaging folks to do it. They spent a great deal of effort on the project but it turned out they had lost the ability (People?) to do a multi-lead TO-3... without it leaking!

Mark / Audioman54

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.