Collaborative Tapped horn project

Hornresp designs "axisymmetrical" horns. Remember the classic cone-shaped megaphone (speaking trumpet) design? It's a conical axisymmetric horn. Now you take a hammer to the megaphone and beat it into a square cross section. It is still axisymmetrical.

Hi Don,

Just to clarify - an "axisymmetric design" in Hornresp assumes a circular cross-section.

My understanding was that a square cross-section had rotational symmetry, but strictly speaking was not axisymmetrical.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David Hi Don

Thanks, so can I get the picture better because I did not now about the hammer and the trompet and this horn who has only taper on one side and need then parabolic, I do this then for everything who has flat sides?

The schematic David, now I now why this is, About the extra volume in the box, can I add this be widening the enclosure? Most say that 20 a 30 procent extra volume is needed, but I think while folding I use the hornresp output and keep already the panels in count automatically because of the foldings itselfs and the rroom between them agarding hornresp.

the only thing who need extra volume is the bracing and the speaker, now I have to search for a tool, I think bassbox pro can doe this for me if I remember.

Some say that my infinity woofer is not so good for tapped horn? why? it models good even in a original Lab12 tapped horn.

http://ch.infinitysystems.com/tl_fi.../Reference/Reference/1260w/REF1260W_PI_EN.pdf

thank all for the kindly help for a green behind the ears guy who turns slowly red..

Why output hornresp horndata with weight and hight /2 older versions give it straight or I do something wrong,, and if I use two speakers in a T-TQWT or TH is L12-34 then between them? this are the last questions for now, I have now enough I hope to start, I let you all now how it go with pictures of the tapped horn and the visaton T-TQWT versions.

thanks all for the help.

Last edited:
Hi kees,

I do this then for everything who has flat sides?

If you intend constructing a rectangular cross-section horn segment having two parallel straight sides and two tapered straight sides, then it is most accurately simulated in Hornresp using the parabolic (Par) flare option.

About the extra volume in the box, can I add this be widening the enclosure?

Assume that a cross-sectional area of 100 sq cm has been specified in the simulation, and that in the constructed speaker the area at that point will actually be rectangular (say 5 cm x 20 cm). If the thickness of the panels to be used is 18 mm then the external dimensions of the horn enclosure at that point will be 8.6 cm x 23.6 cm. As previously mentioned, the important thing is to keep the internal air spaces in the constructed speaker the same size as those specified in the simulation.

Some say that my infinity woofer is not so good for tapped horn? why? it models good even in a original Lab12 tapped horn.

Perhaps someone who indicated that the driver was not suitable, could comment further.

Kind regards,

David

Hi kees,

Why output hornresp horndata with weight and hight /2

It makes it easier to plot the height and width flare profiles, if so required. The half-values specify the distance from the centre line axis to the side of the horn.

if I use two speakers in a T-TQWT or TH is L12-34 then between them?

For simulation purposes Hornresp models multiple drivers as a single composite driver. The required modified parameter values are automatically calculated by the program.

Kind regards,

David

Hi kees,

Assume that a cross-sectional area of 100 sq cm has been specified in the simulation, and that in the constructed speaker the area at that point will actually be rectangular (say 5 cm x 20 cm). If the thickness of the panels to be used is 18 mm then the external dimensions of the horn enclosure at that point will be 8.6 cm x 23.6 cm. As previously mentioned, the important thing is to keep the internal air spaces in the constructed speaker the same size as those specified in the simulation.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David

For the cross sectional dimensions I do now, when drawn in sketchup I get automatically when folding on the right pad, I do keep the dimensions from export as the sound pad, but I use a speaker and this speaker has 1.4 liter as space it take, but I think that it has not so much impact, Can I make S4 some bigger to implement the volume taken by the driver?

The photo let seen what horpresp do, I fill in the height and hornresp fill in the width and vica versa I do understand this, the same for bracing I put that extra in place where the bracing is, like S3 so making S3 some bigger.

And the folding I get always the right dimensions because I do fold around the 18 mm panels, the rest is easy.

Regards and thanks for the help, I am almost ready for the challence.

kees

forgot the photo, I have change the width to 33 cm to fit the driver, and make S4 some bigger for the extra volume of the driver.

thanks for look at it it is the last for I want to now for shure.

regards

kees

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 14 14.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 14 14.40.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Well I have tryed a fold, my way, to make the output of hornresp increments just as small what sketchup alows, it did not exact 10 mm in the circel.

I did see why sketchup do sometimes very strange, it do not delete always everything en let some pixels left and so problems, I did not see it unless I zoom big.

I have just for the bend start with hornresp output and did 0.9 mm increments until I am on the other side of the bend and then i use bigger increments until the other bend etc.

I like to hear what you think, maybe I am a little busy to do it wrong. First I go learn sketchup or autocad (better).

PS this is not a real design but a part of my hornresp output to look at the bend.

thanks

Attachments

• test tapped horn.jpg
    test tapped horn.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Well after some tryouts I have some new question, sorry about my behavior.

the txt file have I exported from hornresp but I get not precise a good flare, from S3 to S4
it have a bend, and I need not a bend there because of the wood.

What is the best way to get a conical flare from the troat to the mouth, I did put it in parts for sketchup but it dit not match after the S3 to S4 where the speaker is a bend here is afcourse not the way and in hornresp I can not see when I am oke for export the horn to txt. Maybe you have a tip or tips, and have I use the digits after the mm? sketchup do only use mm as highest resolution so far. for the rest, it go better.

Attachments

• keestest.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 64
the txt file have I exported from hornresp but I get not precise a good flare, from S3 to S4 it have a bend, and I need not a bend there because of the wood.

Hi kees,

It is not necessary to use the exported schematic diagram data to construct a bass horn. Simply ensure that the internal cross-sectional areas and axial lengths match those of the Hornresp input parameters.

For your given text file example, this means that:

S1 = 100
S2 = 200
S3 = 800
S4 = 959

L12 =50
L23 = 430
L34 = 50

You will need to use you own judgement when determining the effective lengths of acoustic paths around bends.

Kind regards,

David

Hi kees,

It is not necessary to use the exported schematic diagram data to construct a bass horn. Simply ensure that the internal cross-sectional areas and axial lengths match those of the Hornresp input parameters.

For your given text file example, this means that:

S1 = 100
S2 = 200
S3 = 800
S4 = 959

L12 =50
L23 = 430
L34 = 50

You will need to use you own judgement when determining the effective lengths of acoustic paths around bends.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David

When use the output I can make nice bends? see the picture post 3848 as example, not the real one afcourse.

If I do S3 800 and S4 959 then it go like on the picture, I need to get S1 to S4 so that it is pure conical otherwise I have a bend in the middle of the speaker, this is the last part I do need to now, the rest I have it.

I think S1 200 S2 800 S3 800 and S4 so That it do not bend, maybe I need to now a rule here from the experienced here. I see that I can make the mouth smaller or the S3 taller to get it a straight line to the mouth.

Sorry about my green ears.

thanks

kees

Attachments

• s3-4 flare.jpg
    s3-4 flare.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Why does the final section need to be conical?
What's wrong with parabolic for all sections?

Hi Andrew

I don,t get how to set it like you all do, one straight line from mouth to throat I did mean all parabolic, I show what I want to see in the picture below.

I have now uses only measurement of S1 S2 S3 S4 like David say, the picture in the post before S3 and S4 did bend, and how it looks now I do need for easy workout the box.

picture horn, and response of the infinity 1260W etc like it is now with straight angle and not as last post this is what I want but what is the best way, that is what I did mean so Andrew there is nothing wrong with parabolic but I need no bend in the middle of the speaker...

What I also not get 100 % is how I do fill in extra volume in hornresp for braces and such, like the driver volume, do I make the S3 and S4 bigger ? for example if bracing is 10 liters in the long part I do make S3 10 liter bigger, this are the last parts, If I now them then I have remove my greenery behindthe ears I hope.

Thanks all for the help, and some input about the design I do like also and maybe some extra info..

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_07 Mar. 15 17.14.jpg
    ScreenHunter_07 Mar. 15 17.14.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
  • ScreenHunter_06 Mar. 15 17.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 Mar. 15 17.13.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 277
  • ScreenHunter_05 Mar. 15 17.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_05 Mar. 15 17.13.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 276
  • ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 15 17.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 15 17.13.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 284
  • respons.jpg
    respons.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 294
  • mal-tappedhorn.jpg
    mal-tappedhorn.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hi David

Yes I do now but how do people implement the braces and the speaker itslefs? when I put that in the hornresp design your cros-sectional area change, the only way I see it when there is a 18 mm brace I have to extra widen the box to get the same area again, or do I see this wrong? I can tread the braces also as a cross sectional area, better I need to do that and fill in that extra space in hornresp, some do 20-30 procent extra to the outcome of hornresp.

Do you like the graph in the post 3953? I now did only measure s1 s2 s3 s4 and drawn a straight line like you say, I think with a notch or damping I get to 100 Hz bandwith with some loss of efficienty.

I go try to find some more info, the tapped horn treads are sometimes very very big, special if i am there:)

Last edited:
Hi David, Thanks for your help, now I now what to do and how, the LE in your program
do this also include the coil for the crossover? do I need also include resistance of that coil in the speaker RE in hornresp?

And that is all I need to now, nog learn folding what is more difficult if I use longer L12.

regards and thanks again learn me using your wonderfull software.

kees

Ahh I did not now everything, One thing resists.

The outcome see pictures, here I have a strange outcome but a very good graph, The question is precisely on the center of S2 or S3 where the speaker is I can not assemble the speaker because there is a angle there, what do you in such case put the speaker on the back of the horn? so it will fitt on that angle, I hope you understand what I mean, my english in technical form is not as good.

This grahp from hornresp is from two speakers, I can put them like it is in TH-Spud tapper horn, but this is nog a real tapped horn, more a combination of a tapped horn and a T-TQWT, the question here is about one speaker, if there is a bend on S3 or S2.

see exort sketchup the circle on S2 this box is just a testing for me, I even have not that mivoc speaker.

Have a nice weekend.

kees

Attachments

• Mivoc-aw3000.jpg
    Mivoc-aw3000.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 84
  • ScreenHunter_06 Mar. 17 22.01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 Mar. 17 22.01.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 81
  • ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 17 22.01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 17 22.01.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 81