Collaborative Tapped horn project

To date I've built 8 myself, here are a couple of the nicer looking ones...
DSCN4635.jpg

The one I started with , lower your volume, the mic is just a bit overloaded :D

What are the specs on that nice look flh???

Hi All

I have some sims about tapped horns with some speakers, sinuslive SL-330, visaton wsp26s (I have these) eminence kappa pro12, maybe someone can look at it and give some advise, I did use xls for tapped horn also but is some strange behavior with that.

thanks and have a nice weekend.

Attachments

• eminence kappa pro 12-1.jpg
    eminence kappa pro 12-1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 377
  • eminence kappa pro12 .jpg
    eminence kappa pro12 .jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 368
  • single wsp26s1-TH.jpg
    single wsp26s1-TH.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 367
  • single wsp26s-TH.jpg
    single wsp26s-TH.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 88
  • sinuslive SL-W330-1.jpg
    sinuslive SL-W330-1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 96
  • sinuslive SL-W330.jpg
    sinuslive SL-W330.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 79
Hi kees52,

Where did you find the T/S parameters for the Sinus Live SL-W330, because they don't look very realistic.

Hi Djim

I have them on pdf. google is my friend, (maar niet echt die gegevensverzamelaars). the thiele small pdf is a little strange with Sd and Vas but it is not difficult.

Yes this speaker is interesting, I also has discover that, I am not really dissapointed about the visatons, but if useing two in a tapped horn it is not as good, the visaton has a very light polypropulene (schrijf ik dat goed? mijn engels is niet alles) so it can be damaged easely? and the horn get really big with a light cone, the visatons however has already be misused heavely (zo hard klapperen dat de dop van de conus vloog etc) but is stil good no damage further, I have from the dipole as deep bass as from the tapped horn, but I always did love horns, the ob systems also, but lack of dynamics.

The peak at 75 Hz can be easely repaired with a notch filter make this TH usable to 100 Hz, I did use a coil 4.7 mH but in real the peaks are just not there or a little stuffing can cure that..

Ik wil de synergy hoorn gaan bouwen daarom een tapped hoorn vanaf 90 hz (compromise).

For the english, I go build a senergy horn as test for my learning fase in boxes, I did always love horns and tapped is not as big for low tones.

Maybe even a fostex Fe206 Horn after the tapped on 90 Hz I can even make the fostex horn smaller then.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/198710-fe206en-based-blh-speakers.html

Attachments

• sinuslive SL-W330.jpg
    sinuslive SL-W330.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 70
  • sinuslive SL-W330-1.jpg
    sinuslive SL-W330-1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi Djim I have send the store a letter, see what she say about the strange thiele smalll pdf, I do miss the induction of coil, but I have included the coil of crossover, who is for my higher then in the messages, the peak abroad itslefs when bigger coil, but I think that in real it can be ery differend.

I did see on forum that corner loaded means with mouth to corner? I thought mouth form corner.

For the transformer for high induction, you can buy them om the internet but expensive for a low ohms one, (150 plus euro) I have made one myself, just a transformer with empty bobine and a airgap who is adjustable to in my case miminum of 14 mH to max 61 mH but no airgap and thus such high not for use, the max is 27 mH with airgap is 3.5 mm.

have a nice snowy day.

Attachments

• DSCN0622.JPG
    DSCN0622.JPG
    772.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0621.JPG
    DSCN0621.JPG
    782.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi All

I have try also to make a tapped horn as a project withe the infinity 1260W driver.

Maybe someone here can give me some tips, how to fold best, and what is the best mouth size because here the box can get big, also the tuning point, some say if you tune 30 hz then als 22 hz has enough spl left.

For some joke, I did simulate a air coupler box what is a straight pipe, opening will give the needed octaves and it simulates good, as afcourse I have did it right but air coupler is not a issiue now but nice old idea.

first two foto,s is of the cheap infinity driver looks good but maybe the box can smaller.

thanks.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 04 13.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 04 13.36.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 288
  • ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 04 13.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 04 13.36.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 278
  • air coupler.jpg
    air coupler.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 273
HR simulation

Hi All

I have try also to make a tapped horn as a project withe the infinity 1260W driver.

Maybe someone here can give me some tips, how to fold best, and what is the best mouth size because here the box can get big, also the tuning point, some say if you tune 30 hz then als 22 hz has enough spl left.

For some joke, I did simulate a air coupler box what is a straight pipe, opening will give the needed octaves and it simulates good, as afcourse I have did it right but air coupler is not a issiue now but nice old idea.

first two foto,s is of the cheap infinity driver looks good but maybe the box can smaller.

thanks.

Hi there K: I have had similar results for a HR simulaion for an Alpine sws1232D subwoofer, with regard to the low corner, upper usable limit, first peake, 1.5 octave response, 11.9mm Xmax slightly below low corner and SPL. Haven't found a multiple fold. ...regards Michael

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
... but expensive for a low ohms one, (150 plus euro) I have made one myself...

thats a mighty big trafo inductor
how do you measure impedance ?

just bought a cheaper Monacor
only 4.7mH, but supposed to have low 0.15ohm
static measurement says 0.5ohm
and even if actually lower, I may have my doubts about the low 0.15ohm

but maybe a series inductor just works better with low Qts woofer

Hi All

thanks.

Looks very similar to the 12" tapped horn discussed here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/143714-lab12-tapped-horn.html#post1822450
Regards Xoc1

Looks very similar to the 12" tapped horn discussed here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/143714-lab12-tapped-horn.html#post1822450
Regards Xoc1

I have did start with the Lab 12 tapped horn en did change some things in hornresp for my driver. even use the original box did good with this driver.

The trafo is 0.13 ohm measured with a normal ohm meter, 22 mH, I can adjust between 13 and 22mH with airgap. I did measure no distortion when use this trafo, it looks big on the photo but it is not that big.

I do sure don,t like ferrite.

:2c: of observations:

Looks like you want to build at TH for at Home use? Way bother with iron-core inductors when you have to invest in a EQ +signal-delay unit (for interfacing your Main speakers) that easily, if of quality, can eliminate any series coils that you try add in HR sims.

In post: * #3911 You wrote:

Hmmm....Your posted 'Air-coupler_tapped-pipe' are for sure a joke..or?

And earlier you wrote too:

I always did love horns

OK, But don’t equate true horns to the positive (Tapped)Tapered Quarter-wave design you have posted in (#3909) that is using the Infinity-1260W Driver in a HR as a TH= A misnomer for a Horn:eek:.

IMO: For Home use:A good always stuffed T-QWP (or T-TQWT) will outperform any TH when aided of an ordinary plate amp..no need for EQ or signal-delay units.
Buy 2 Drivers instead and put in a much smaller T-TQWT using quality wood, i.e. save ~100L of space.. The SQ: BW and FR smoothness would not be surpassed anytime if compared with your TH design.

b :)

Attachments

• Infinity-1260W_Unknownx.jpg
    Infinity-1260W_Unknownx.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 227
Hi Bjorno

I do build them for home use, but for now I do build some boxes for testing, to feel and hear what it does, and so also the tapped horn.

The air coupler box i did see on the internet, and is really a organ pipe driven with a speaker it looks very much to the tapped horn with the difference it is straight not tapered, and maybe I do also test it, so it is not a complete joke, if the simulation is right with hornresp then if have a usable bandwith, the opening on the speaker can be adjusted say the old article to tune the usable octaves, for hornresp the visaton go very low, did you put the air coupler in your hornresp? are you suprised? I see faked? in it.

The infinity speaker is not used in post 3909 that was the sinuslive but has a strange thiele small parameters, I have use the Lab12 tapped horn as example, this woofer did also good there, so I don,t understand what you mean with post 3906 and infinity woofer, it is a cheap one with good parameters nice for testing, these parameters are good I hope but go measure them later after break in..

The coils I do need because of the low pass who is low, and the alpass filter wil be a bessel, the tapped horn is maybe nice with a fostex horn filtered at 60_ 80 Hz. The T-QWP (or T-TQWT) I have martins sheets for, maybe I do test it later, but first, first.

this moment I have open baffles with linkwitz dipoles in the room, with my tube hybrid amplifier (see keesijp49 youtube) and this sound wel, go deep but has too little punch, but I do like it, not so much spl afcourse.

And last I have did this but stopped for a while, I do go build this ppsl box with the two visatons but are also big.

YOu now I have to do everything in my live, because live is short but sometimes I want everything at once.

regards.

Attachments

• ppsl.jpg
    ppsl.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited: