Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
Worth mentioning is also the way I'm putting the shaft through front panle. I also found a simple solution to that, and I'm using here a plastic washer available from Home Depot. For more "snug" fit two washers can be used.

Hehe - you read my mind :D ;)

'cause I also had some ideas how to get the shaft through front panel - I had in mind to use some kind of a plastic "T" part (similar to the ones that are used as an insulation washer for transistor mounting - only bigger) ... So I see we have similar ideas :D

Wiki page should come up any time now.

To save on price even more, I could also offer two versions of the chassis. One prefessionaly finished (brushed and anodized) and the other, like you see in a picture, unfinished extrusions. Basically, only 3 panels have to be really treated, front, top and bottom and if you can live with rough finish (or if you just paint it) you will save in this way. The wood panels will be precut, but not treated in any way. It's up to the owner to choose the finish. Only maple will be offered ;)

Knobs are not included either, as it's very personal choice. Shaft extenders will be included.

Over the weekend everybody can post their interest on Wiki page and I will get the quote early next week.

Btw - what's the cost of bare Aluminium in your countries??
For plates of max 8mm thickness - the price is cca 18$/dm3 - so you calculate the volume of the panels and multiply and you get the price ...

If they are thicker - then it's a little bit more expensive ...

And the panles are protected on one side with PVC "sticker" - so you don't scratch it when you drill holes, etc ...

I shall build a chassis for my GC - sized cca 250 x 250 x 110 mm - all panels except the back and bottom will be 8mm thick; and there will also be another panel inside that will divide PSU (2 EI high quality slovenian custom build transformers, 160VA 2x18V each - they've cost me around 50Euro/63$ both) compartment from the rest of the amp - and the material will cost me around 35$;
And the "eloksation" (I think that's same as anodizing?) of the Al plates will be cca additional 10$ ... So for a little less then 50$ I will have my amp case done :D OK, ofcourse - probably I will spend so many hours that if I would be paid for them - I would get around 100$ - but hey - I'm a student - and I have some free time that I like to spend for my hobbies :D

I mean - was is my point - it's quite hard to get e.g. Black Gates or atepped attenuators or Cardas binding posts, etc etc in Slovenia - but - on the other hand I think that the transformers and housings are quite cheaper than in your countries ...

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
Brian had similar layout and he didn't noticed any intereference. But I will build this amp over the weekend to know for sure.

I have the transformer in my chassis, and I get absolute no interference of ground noise from the speaker. I was amazed, as I get a slight hum from my Leach amp.

Here is a picture taken by Enigma from here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28048
which is what sparked this who group order. I built this chassis about a year ago for an apox-gainclone unit, but never finished it, until my friend Eric (Enigma) wanted to borrow it for his gainclone until he finished his chassis.

Here is the link to the Chassis Wiki:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=NI+GC+Chassis+Group+Order
I added a table for the type of chassis.

--
Brian

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,787
Stabist said:
Btw - what's the cost of bare Aluminium in your countries??
For plates of max 8mm thickness - the price is cca 18$/dm3 - so you calculate the volume of the panels and multiply and you get the price ...

If they are thicker - then it's a little bit more expensive ...

And the panles are protected on one side with PVC "sticker" - so you don't scratch it when you drill holes, etc ...

I shall build a chassis for my GC - cca 250 x 250 x 110 mm big - all panels except the back and bottom will be 8mm thick; and there will also be another panel inside that will divide PSU (2 EI high quality slovenian custom build transformers, 160VA 2x18V each - that costet me around 50Euro/63$ both) compartment from the rest of the amp - and the material will cost me around 35$;
And the "eloksation" (I think that's same as anodizing?) of the Al plates will be cca additional 10$ ... So for a little less then 50$ I will have my amp case done :D OK, ofcourse - probably I will spend so many hours that if I would be paid for them - I would get around 100$ - but hey - I'm a student - and I have some free time that I like to spend for my hobbies :D

I mean - was is my point - it's quite hard to get e.g. Black Gates or atepped attenuators or Cardas binding posts, etc etc in Slovenia - but - on the other hand I think that the transformers and housings are quite cheaper than in your countries ...

I can use a few of my cookies tin boxes that I have collected over the years for no costs too
;)
Yes we can do one ourself of course. But I like the idea of a good quality kit and money for the forum for those who were thinking of putting money up for the forum anyway..we just have to live with our means I guess..
:cool:

chris ma said:

Yes we can do one ourself of course. But I like the idea of a good quality kit and money for the forum for those who were thinking of putting money up for the forum anyway..we just have to live with our means I guess..
:cool:

I think I was a little misunderstood ;) - I didn't want to say that Peter has too high price!!!! - I just happen to notice reading this forum for cca 1,5 yrs - that the chassis costs and the transformer costs are much higher than here where I live - but on the other hand - for a student without credit card (me) it's almost impossible to get better audio grade parts as BG caps, Cardas bindingposts, etc etc - 'cause there is NO company here that would sell them - the only choice that is left is Net ... But again - there are few other problems connected with taxes, ... when ordered from non EU countries ... So :(

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Peter,
I think the 2 options you mentioned make a lot of sense.
I was thinking that the cheaper one should not have wood either as someone mentioned, BUT if it is unfinished wood, I suspect it doesn't add much at all to the cost, so why not include it!

Of course price is the determiner: if it turns out that the fine finish one only costs $15 more, then who's gonna get the cheap one?

I assume you will still get the stereo volume control- BUT why not have it as a separate product - it won't make your shipping much more complicated, some might prefer not to get it because they have something on hand, others might want dual mono , etc. I'm the opposite: I probably can't afford your chassis at this time, but I sure need the stepped volume control!!!

thanks,
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.