• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Canadian GB for Goldwood GW-1858?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Person -- Qty. -- Confirmed (Y/N)

Aengus -- 2 -- Y
albertli -- 2 -- Y? (depends on delivery)
doorman -- 2 -- Y
Illusis -- 2 -- Y
Leadbelly -- 2 -- Y
planet10 -- 2 -- Y
Russell Dawkins -- 2 -- Y

Total 14; total confirmed 12/14?.

Looks as if we can go ahead at the $80 price, but as I said in a previous post I'll wait until the end of the week before collecting money just to allow for last-minute expressions of interest.

Lets discuss shipping. As far as I can see, what is wanted is this (please correct me if I've misunderstood anyone's requirements):

albertli - wants Vancouver delivery, it looks as if Bob can make this happen; Albert will also wait for VIDIY if necessary.

Aengus, doorman, P10, and Russell - will wait for VIDIY.

Illusis, Leadbelly - not known. Please make your shipping needs known.

Also, if anyone from the island is going over the the mainland, or if anyone from there is coming here, before VIDIY, let us know - perhaps we can arrange for earlier delivery. That would depend on whether Bob could get the speakers to a lower mainland rendezvous without going to inordinate trouble. This is important, since I believe Bob is making little or nothing on the deal, so his convenience has to be a factor.

Regards.

Aengus

Originally posted by albertli

Are the sonotube made with paper?

Hi Albert

Sonotube is made from layers of heavy paper, so it's rather like mat board rolled up into a seamless tube. It may also be impregnated with some sort of glue. It is coated with some kind of waxy release agent, since its primary purpose is to serve as a form for casting concrete cylinders.

I've only ever had the smaller diameter stuff (10 or 12 inches) so I don't know how thick the 24" version would be.

Assuming you are going to make MJK's Jordan/Goldwood design, you would also need to reduce the interior cross-sectional area (CSA) to 400 square inches; this works out to a diameter of about 22 9/16" (I don't know how critical the exact CSA is). I was thinking of using rolled-up rubberply to reduce the interior diameter of the sonotube. Have a look at this post and the page or two following for a discussion of the tentative design.

Regards.

Aengus

[edit] I should also have said, it's ugly - visualize a cardboard tube with manufacturer's name, etc. (I can't remember exactly what there is) all over it. You'd want to cover it with paint, plastic laminate, or veneer, I should think. [/edit]

Originally posted by Cal Weldon

I'm not looking for woofers but as mentioned I can help with this. I'm an hour closer to the ferry than Bob and haven't been to see him for quite a while now so perhaps a visit is in order.

Cal, if you do decide to visit Bob after the GB has been settled, perhaps we could work something out where you picked up the speakers and we met at Tsawwassen. If the package of speakers was manageable, I'm thinking I could walk aboard at Swartz Bay, meet you and get the speakers, and catch the next (or the same!) ferry back to the Island.

Anyone have any idea how heavy and bulky a package 8 of these drivers would make? Lets see, say 20" wide x 10" high including packaging, hmm, that's about 20"x20"x80" high - yikes. OK, 20"x40"x40" - might be able to manage that if BC Ferries has no objection to me bring a dolly along.

Or, if I took the truck - ~$120 return, so 120/8= $15 per driver delivery costs. I imagine it would be cheaper to have them posted...

Regards.

Aengus

leadbelly[/i] [quote][i]Originally posted by Aengus said:
Shipping
Leadbelly - not known. Please make your shipping needs known.

Can you give me a guesstimate on postage to Calgary? Still not sure if I'm coming to vidiy ths year.[/quote]

leadbelly, I don't know; Bob, are you able to answer this question? Do we even know what the shipping weight is at this point?

Regards.

Aengus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.