• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Canadian GB for Goldwood GW-1858?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I've been e-mailing with Bob Reimer (CSS/XBL on diyAudio) of CSS. He could supply the Goldwood GW-1858 for about $80-$85 Canadian, plus shipping, depending on number ordered. This may be enough to make me get off my butt and build the Jordan-Goldwood open baffle.

Is anyone else interested in some of these drivers? If there's enough interest, I'll set up a group buy. Shipping would be direct from CSS, so it would just be a matter of coordinating it and passing on the funds - not too onerous for me to handle at the moment. So - post here if you're interested, and if there's a reasonable response I'll try to figure out the Wiki process.

Regards.

Aengus

Cal, Geek

Thank you both. Let's wait and see if there is any interest in the GB.

Just to whet people's appetites, here's another iteration of the sonotube design for MJK's Jordan/Goldwood OB/H-frame (note that Martin's design was a sensible rectilinear one, and he is not responsible for shortcomings in this version).

Regards.

Aengus

Attachments

• jordan-goldwood 6.gif
    jordan-goldwood 6.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 675
Aengus said:
He could supply the Goldwood GW-1858 for about $80-$85 Canadian, plus shipping, depending on number ordered.

Aengus-
Thanks for the offer. Quarterbacking a GB can be a lot of work.

Is $80-85 Cdn a good price? The thread you linked from Oct 2008 seems to state the price at $60 (US?). ($60USD=$73 Cdn)
Just curious, as it will be a 'frosty Friday' when I shell out $2K for (Jordan or other) drivers anyway....I just read a bit farther in that other thread.
Cheers
John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a cool looking design, Aengus. I like it!

My buddy John was running 2 of the Gw-1858's per side with one of the buyout Vifa coax from P.E. Makes a heck of an OB rig for little money. Will be interesting to see what you do with your rig. Keep us poted.

Hi Guys

OK, in order:

Leadbelly, are you coming to VIdiyAudioFest this year? I'm thinking that if we can get together an order for 10 drivers, we can take advantage of Cal or Geek...um, I mean of Cal's or Geek's kind offer...and save a about $20 over PE's price and get free delivery.

John, I think the Jordan's are a bit cheaper than $2K :bigeyes: ; but if you tell me it's so, I will sell you mine at half that price. :D Actually, I'm thinking of using the Goldwoods with the Fostex 108's I have lyiing about; and a good budget approach might be to use them with the FE103Es, following Martin King's approach in his article on designing a passive two-way OB. I figure that would work out to just over $100/side for drivers - add in xover parts and some plywood and it still should be pretty affordable. And, as I remarked above, free delivery to Victoria on the woofers.

Also, for anyone who doesn't already have the F-R driver to go with these, it would be worth checking out the CSS site - some pretty interesting drivers there. I'd be tempted myself if I didn't have to do something with the ones I own before I can justify buying more.

Pano, thanks for that. The design is a lot easier to draw than to build, but I'm mulling over some possible approaches - the sticking point is that large-diameter hole at an angle through the panel. I think the panel will have to be built in place over the tube itself, or a sacrificial bit of sonotube.

Cal, any idea what PE charges for shipping? I don't want to go all the way through the checkout process to get a shipping estimate to Canada.

That has to be one of the most annoying things that web-stores do; that, and making me "register" before I can get a price on anything. Aargh.

Anyway, thanks all for the interest - I'll keep this open for a bit and see how far we get.

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus said:
Leadbelly, are you coming to VIdiyAudioFest this year? I'm thinking that if we can get together an order for 10 drivers, we can take advantage of Cal or Geek...um, I mean of Cal's or Geek's kind offer...and save a about $20 over PE's price and get free delivery.

Not sure yet. I want 2 or 3, which will probably push me into an extra charge to bring them home on an airplane, so no net savings. This may be the year to come by car and do some sightseeing on the island.

Aengus said:

John, I think the Jordan's are a bit cheaper than $2K :bigeyes: ; but if you tell me it's so, I will sell you mine at half that price. :D Actually, I'm thinking of using the Goldwoods with the Fostex 108's I have lyiing about; and a good budget approach might be to use them with the FE103Es, following Martin King's approach in his article on designing a passive two-way OB. I figure that would work out to just over $100/side for drivers - add in xover parts and some plywood and it still should be pretty affordable. And, as I remarked above, free delivery to Victoria on the woofers.

Thanks Aengus-
The $2k figure was again from a quick read of the linked thread. Even at half that, I'm outta here! ;)
Good suggestions on the budget FR idea. I'm still wrestling with the 'ugly' factor about OBs. And, my room is small (and getting smaller with speaker collection lately), so 20x38 baffles would have a hard time finding a home. Though with my recently-completed bi-amp chip amp setup, it is tempting, since I could avoid using a passive crossover at the speakers. Thanks for the Martin King article link as well.

re: PartsExpress shipping- My recollection (without checking invoices) from a few PE orders is that the shipping is reasonable considering the ever-rising USPS rates. I define 'reasonable' as the postage cost plus a few dollars for handling.

re: VIdiyfest- The last I read, there were comments about a bunch of old guys drinking too much and taking off clothes- not sure about the appeal of that!

Cheers
John

Originally posted by VictoriaGuy

re: VIdiyfest- The last I read, there were comments about a bunch of old guys drinking too much and taking off clothes- not sure about the appeal of that!

I would have to agree that it's an acquired taste; and, speaking purely for myself I only participate in the first ritual. However, de gustibus non est disputandem, I suppose.

And there is the occasional bout of listening to some amazing speakers, amps, and other goodies, just to justify the name of the event.

If you do decide you are interested in the Goldwoods, and if we do proceed with the group buy, and if we do the VIdiyFest delivery thing, I would be happy to pick them up for you and arrange to get them to you in town.

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus said:

If you do decide you are interested in the Goldwoods, and if we do proceed with the group buy, and if we do the VIdiyFest delivery thing, I would be happy to pick them up for you and arrange to get them to you in town.
Thanks, Aengus. I appreciate the offer.
What sort of time-frame do you have in mind for getting the group buy 'nailed down'- ie order finalized.
Cheers
John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aengus said:
Also, for anyone who doesn't already have the F-R driver to go with these, it would be worth checking out the CSS site - some pretty interesting drivers there. I'd be tempted myself if I didn't have to do something with the ones I own before I can justify buying more.

It is important here to note that the project Martin did was with the batch of chinese made Jordans that came in the diyA groupbuy. These have dramatically different parameteres from the "official" Jordan numbers (ie very suitable for OB). I have seen a measure of some of the latest batch and they move a bit closer to factory. If one were to sub in the Mark Audio Alpair 10 -- the driver currently suited as a drop in replacement for things designed using the factory numbers, one might have to fiddle with the XO.

dave

Originally posted by VictoriaGuy

What sort of time-frame do you have in mind for getting the group buy 'nailed down'- ie order finalized.

Hi John

Well, I have enough projects to keep me going for now (mostly non-audio, alas); but it would be nice if this didn't hang fire forever. Let's say that if we don't reach 10 drivers by the end of May, it won't be worth treating it as a group buy and I'll just go ahead and ask Bob to get me two drivers.

If there is an interest in at least ten drivers, I'll coordinate the money so CSS can treat it as a bulk order. I think that Bob would still be willing to ship individually, but if you wanted individual delivery that would have to be priced in. I'm assuming that pick-up at VIdiyEtc.* would be free.

Bob, I hope you make it to the event in any case - it would be nice to meet you.

Regards.

Aengus

*We need a shorter name, I'm tired of typing the whole thing. How about VIdiyAF?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.