Cal's next venture

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the basic positioning of the drivers. The Sammi coax will have it's own chamber and will have a high pass on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 297
:Olympic:

you might try the coax placed in the middle to form a WWTWW with all W on a curve and surround the coax:D

I thought about many before deciding on the old fashioned front firing. Your idea was definitely one of them.

OMG ! All radiating outside !! I was to suggest a push-pull arrangement with the magnets seeing each others , more tower -like . And the Sammy Coax bare at the top (dipole).

That was one of the thoughts also. I can't tell you guys how many arrangements I looked at. I am not one to dilly dally on these things but it took me this long to decide on the old right in your face "look at me" arrangement. Can't tell you it's the best sonically but I just kept coming back to it for whatever reason. As usual they are just test boxes and if I like what I hear maybe I'll get a real woodworker to build the finished product.

Cheers.

I didn't take my camera with me yesterday so you can't see the port is 6.5"W 6"H and 3.25"D and is on the back centered on the 4 woofers. Yes in series the DCR should be about 3.2 ohms. If you look very closely you can see where the divider goes, it's the light pencil line just under the flange of the coax, on an angle. I will take cabinet pics next day. Today is too busy.

I need advice.

In the upper diagonal chamber for the coax's I want to reduce the 'boxy' sound. I am planning to XO at 200 - 700 Hz (active) depending on how it sounds. I have been smitten by the OB midrange sound. The openess is hard to ignore. I have been thinking about either a large rear port (hole) or maybe the idea of a bunch of 1" holes which I've heard can be rather effective. First I would like to know which way you would do it and then can you suggest the size of the port or conversely how many 1" holes.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 178
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hey Cal

you can cut out a big squared hole on the side
and that way have a detachable baffle
I would "countersink" with a router
and with multiple spare baffles, you can try out all sorts of experiments
or might be that two perforated plates with felt between would work

or instead
you could first try with tube isolation (rockwool type)
you know the kind used to isolate heating tubes
just cut to a length that fits horisontal, minus some
just fill it up until jammed tightly

you could do that in woofer section too

Ah, as the cab is already built as it is, so the coax at the center seems out of the question.

And it's also probably too late now - to get rid of the box sound, you just have to dump the box :p I assume this is a known fact:D

I haven't had a single good experience in getting rid of the box sound in a box. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough before I gave up. Bracing, stuffing... etc. are all compromised in some way or another. They work to some extent but can not eliminate the problem. (and one more excuse, good quality plywood is not available in where I live).

Now the division for the coax is already kind of triangle. I think it's a good start, and probably only the front-rear panels need some attentions. If the construction side of thing is eventually not so successful, moving up the xover point is a good way out. Estimated by its size, I guess the main resonance might be in 200~300Hz range, hopefully.

Or, cut the rear panel in the area for coax and stuff it to get cardioid response. Should be intereting, too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.