Burning Amp BA-3b (Balanced)

with 22VAC what I'm concerned with is not being able to accommodate non-cascoded JFET front ends (so, ~30VDC being max), especially if the design doesn't draw the full current rating of the transformer. With 20VAC I got about 3.5V across the pass device, but this was a simplistic 20*1.414-0.7 calculation.

Actually there is not much worry. I ussually have about 123VAC in and with 18VAC Avel Lindberg XFRMr I get 23.5VDC out. So if your Mains are like mine, your Avel Lindberg does what all of mine do, etc. etc. you might get 25.5 or a tad more for your 24VDC regulated. I wouldn't bother. 22VAC is still lookin good for 24VDC out with a Reg? I would give the reg 4V across the FET if it's a typical IR/Fairchild etc. That means 28V unregulated!
Alot depends on if you have a, CRC before the Reg and how much R? If you have 115VAC (all the time) mains, If you want high gain from the reg circuit, if you have Antek or Avel Lindberg, etc. etc.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
just for fun I simulated the BBA-3 with some feedback.....:D

when you play with R24/23 and R22 in the circuit you can adjust the gain.

I never heard it....all deviation from the original circuit are due to limitations in my simulation program....

Aleph P still playing and I am still occupied to get my different FW clones close to an original J2 Nelson made... so relaxed and detailed....

this is an invitation to play yourself....:)

Attachments

• BBA-3 mit feedback.JPG
    BBA-3 mit feedback.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
yes this is possible, :)

but who knows, what will hapen, meanwhile I prefer them after and before every stage....for security reasons and sometimes for shaping the sound, man!:D

I forgot to mention the main reason for trying feedback, to use BBA-3 as a pre.... and of course the gain was for this use often too high.....

but I do not now how it shapes the sound that we loose NFB quality Man!...:rolleyes:

;)Got a new theory. Your small signal stages should be as low noise/distortion as possible, while still maintaining simplicity, and the mojo or color should be added in power amp or output section. Of course my 6v6 pre ruins this theory, but i tIs still fun to play and listen, isnt it. There is no doub tthat no feedback designs have a certain freedom and liquidity to the music. Can you imagine what SiT1 or 2 sound like? Good to hear from you Generg an dlook forward to your review of Ba3B with feedback. Ther ear eother tricks of coursd;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I can only tell you how later how close the sound is to Aleph P.....:)

My UGS vers. 3a from Cheff made place for the Aleph P....

My hint was really thought for someone who has just the BBA-3 on the bench and has no problem to put two 470 R resistors in the right place......:D