Burning Amp BA-3b (Balanced)

A transistor Vbe multiplier would work in place of the 431 and it would adjust in the normal way to set the output stage bias.

However, if the BA-3 FE with was direct coupled to the output stage as described above (I guess we shouldn't be having this discussion without a schematic) then you would have to use the P1 and P2 pots in the FE to adjust the final output stage offset. P1 and P2 would then be adjusting the 2013/313 bias and the final output offset interactively. The temperature performance of the 2013/313 pair could potentially affect the output offset drift more than one might want. This would need some experimentation to find out what the drift performance would be like.

gl

Last edited:
I looked at the 431 data sheet too. Assuming 9V across the 431 and 45ma through it gives you 405 mw being dissipated. That's higher than I like to run a TO92, especially if it's in an enclosed space.
I'm using Toshiba's 4.2V, maybe, 200mW maybe, with H.S. probably :)
The pot in the JFET drains doesn't set the bias in the 2013/313 stage.
Really? I think it will, and output offset too??? The real question is the overall stability?
The big similarity between the BA-3 FE (and BA-3b) and the A75 FE is that they're designed to be run open loop if that's your thing.
I didn"t get there yet. I stopped hear first, honestly, I would have forgotten if I didn'come back here...
The resistor(s) to ground would carry the 2013/313 bias current so that the 431 doesn't have to.
Well, ther is the capability of leaving it floating (with a little H.S,), but, what will work or sound better?
I think you have a cool idea there of trying to simplify the interface between the BA-3 FE and the crippled F4 or BA output section.
Thx, I have to many projects at the moment to acually get back to my BA-3 FE. :violin::violin::violin:

...was direct coupled to the output stage as described above (I guess we shouldn't be having this discussion without a schematic) then you would...
gl
OK I forgot to finish it? There is no FE pwr Supply?

Attachments

• flgBA-3.GIF
    flgBA-3.GIF
    10.9 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
for greater control and performance - dunno .... depending with what you're comparing it :clown:

I'm just saying that you can put appropriate resistor in parallel with entire TL431 based voltage reg , if you need greater amount of current through said reg .
it will worsen (slightly) voltage regulation , but - if you need to implement that vertical string in output vertical of some FE (say that that vertical is made of two opposite mosfets ) , with goal to exclude series connected caps ........ then that's neat solution

temp compensation ....... Papa made some components fashionable lately ......... :clown: sometimes you can choose plain NTC for said purpose

I remember Babowana was first Greedy Boy , testing NTC's in some Zen project

edit: I did exactly that (resistor in parallel with 431 circ) drawing some funny Babelfish XA 30.5 amp , with goal to have it :
1.Babelfish as always
2.DC coupled all the way

....... but never had enough interest to try it .

it will work , so ...... it isn't interesting anymore :rofl:

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
'iron leads' ? I hope they do not rust :eek: could you specify 'iron leads' :confused:

man, I know we prefer copper, absolutely
but guys, there are all sorts of metal everywhere in your amps
you worry too much, and all you get is headackes
just use whatever possible
in a year you have forgot about it anyway :D

Hi,
I am going to order the boards for a balanced Ba-3 I need the front end board (BAGSv2.0&BASB z2.0) and a output board (BaCb v2.0 &Bacov 2.0)
Right so It says these are 2 chanels so the (BAGSv2.0&BASB z2.0) board has + in and - in one chanel in,so 1 channel, V + and V- is power supply in,Now here's where I need the help,lol the D+ needs one board like the ba output stage D- needs another output stage,I see the power in ,But what is D and out? and on the front board I have D+ D-,and S where do these connect ? D+ I see And this tells me I need 4 output stages and 2 input stages for L&R stereo?
I know I am suppose to be getting smarter at this but too many boards and too many names for them,I was ok until we got off ba-1 ba-2 ba-3, BBA,
Thanks alot,
Ns