Building the Nathan 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gedlee said:
John

I used the right address and I just sent it again to both addresses. You should check your junk mail. It will be coming from egeddes at gedlee dot com

pjpoes - I got all your e-mails and I responded to all but the last.

Got it now. I don't have any junk mail folder on this server. Have to go through all the emails by hand. big pain, but the spam filter ends up filtering too much important stuff.

I'll take a look. Seems extremely simple. If you just need pieces cut and edges rounded I'm sure I can do something for you. Will email you back and we'll go from there.

John

Re: Re: rustoleum

gedlee said:

Your talking about the non-water based right? The water based clean up fine and I have found the rust-o-leum brands to be very good.

Yes I was referring to the oil based enamel. I haven't used any of their newer water based products but I am going to try them out.
I have used minwax polycrylic clear and find it to be much easier than standard oil based polyurethane.

Paint

I have finished painting my Nathans. It will take two or more days of drying before they can be polished and then final assembly, but I thought that they were worth posing in this condition.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Water-based Acrylic DOES make for a high gloss finish. When these are polished they will be nearly a mirror finish.

The Ferrari of loudspeakers.

I'm not going to even try and do a finish like that one, because the rounded corners makes that an almost impossible task. His camera is much higher resiolution than mine so close up shots would never look the same as those. I will see what I can do.

You can "roll-on" any kind of paint that you want, but yes, you could roll it. Matt is easy to do, I do it all the time, just add 3M microballons to the last coat and it will look like silk. Maybe I'll post my matt black finish on the Summas. Most companies only sell matt in black and white. But a rolled on matt surface would be very tough because a matt surface can't be sanded.

Looks pretty good to me. Is the paint you use from a spray can, or did you spray it on with a sprayer and compressor? You said a while back that you mixed your own colors, so I assumed you sprayed it on that way. However you mentioned also doing what I do with the hot water, which made me think you also did spray cans, at least sometimes. Which particular Rustoleum finish is that? I looked on Granger and saw quite a few different ones.

For those interested you can get pretty much any paint you want put into a spray can. One company I have done business with sells spray cans up to pretty large sizes, and can do a whole range of paints from PPG. While much harder to finish, you can get pearls, metalics, etc that way. Another option is the guitar finish paints. All of this costs more money, so the only real advantage is the broader range of colors.

I have a spray gun and compressor. Paint cans work OK, but a really good finish has to come from a gun. I'm not sure the exact rustoleum paint, but its an acrylic-enamel or acrylic-urethane.

I use paint cans for small jobs.

Yes, I can get any PPG automotive paint in a can here also. Its expensive, but sure beats cleaning the gun afterword.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.