Building 3-way speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My original thought, was that you would have those 2x10" drivers very tightly spaced side by side as originally depicted on the previous baffle, then, the dome tweeter could be tucked down in-between those 2 woofers a bit, allowing the mid-range, positioned tightly spaced but directly above the dome to have a center-to-center spacing from the 2 woofers of around 11-12" by my rough estimation. The new configuration, based on the way it appears, puts around 20" of separation from the center of that lower woofer to the center of that midrange. That's almost an entire octave difference.. It will still work, it's just not as good as it could have been.

Port position doesn't matter much here.
but that's only one woofer that is farther from the mid the other woofer is still in the same location.

Um.... No, they are both further away, one by a lot..

Like I said, put the tweeter in there and have a listen. You can debate with me about this and we can talk about mis-understandings or whatever all day, but none of that will uncut those holes that are already there. May as well cut a couple more holes :)

i dont think you can obtain perfection with a big box this shape. i assume thats why in most recent high end speakers they seem to tower the drivers along a vertical alinement.

but that aside. if you made it and you are happy with how it sounds dont worry too much, because absolute perfection and speakers simply dont go together.

obviously as moondog55 said small things to make a differance. and in my opinion you could have spaced the drivers in some form of more logical pattern

its placement location in a room will make the most differerance... these in my opinion would sound best, about 1-2 foot up from floor, with 0.8m or so to the rear wall and about 1.3 from the side walls. angled inward to face your sofa or in the case of these (dance floor) obviously this is very room dependent. just have a "play" playings always fun

it does depend alot on the room though, the lounge in my house makes a huge mess off the sound, my bedroom on the other hand doesnt....

Um.... No, they are both further away, one by a lot..

Like I said, put the tweeter in there and have a listen. You can debate with me about this and we can talk about mis-understandings or whatever all day, but none of that will uncut those holes that are already there. May as well cut a couple more holes :)
vZiFb.jpg

I measured the distance from the mid to the top woofer in the old baffle that my dad had the holes in and it is the exact same distance as both the woofers would have been. I just don't have a pic of the old baffle but that is how it was set up. So just the bottom woofer is farther as far as I can tell right?

The new woofers are a little bigger than the old ones so they wont fit side by side like before so I guess my dad had to do it this way to fit them. He has not wired the crossovers yet is there a way we could change something on them before we wire them to account for the new placements?

Last edited:
I fail to see how these driver arrangements would NOT have closer spacing from the mid to the woofers...

My scribble in post #164 clearly shows that the tweeter was intended to be "tucked" down in between the woofers there.

I think you should wire it up and have a listen and stop trying to convince ME that the network I designed is supposed to work the way I intended with YOUR new driver spacing :)

As it turns out, it WILL still work, just with some slight differences and more pronounced off-axis issues.

Attachments

• better still.jpg
    better still.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 64
  • better.jpg
    better.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I fail to see how these driver arrangements would NOT have closer spacing from the mid to the woofers...

My scribble in post #164 clearly shows that the tweeter was intended to be "tucked" down in between the woofers there.

I think you should wire it up and have a listen and stop trying to convince ME that the network I designed is supposed to work the way I intended with YOUR new driver spacing :)

As it turns out, it WILL still work, just with some slight differences and more pronounced off-axis issues.

I'm not trying to convince you I just didn't think the spacing was that much more. I wasn't the one who cut the holes hell we have more wood left maybe he can redo it but i think we are going to give it a listen first and if it sounds bad put them closer together. Everyone made it sound really bad. I didn't know the tweeter had to be that close to the woofers the holes he cut in the old baffle were just like they are now except for the one woofer so he copied that design and couldn't fit them next to each other.

It's not that the tweeter needs to be close to the woofers. That is a byproduct of several other issues for example... A: trying to get the tweeter both below the mid-range while B: trying to keep the midrange as close to the woofers as possible.

Last edited:
If it sounds bad, I'll try to come up with some simple ways to "fix" the x-over to accommodate the new driver spacing. I have some ideas. Keep in mind there are some issues with the box design that will make it sound less than ideal regardless.
ok well let me know cuz he hasn't done the xovers yet the inside of the boxes are around 7.5-8cuft and the box program I used recommend turning the port for these woofers to around 25hz.

ok well let me know cuz he hasn't done the xovers yet the inside of the boxes are around 7.5-8cuft and the box program I used recommend turning the port for these woofers to around 25hz.

It's not the volume I'm concerned about here, nor box shape really, it's that recessed front baffle. Very basically speaking, the "raised lip" around the perimeter of the front baffle there is going to cause reflections of sound energy that is traveling along the face of the baffle.

It's not the volume I'm concerned about here, nor box shape really, it's that recessed front baffle. Very basically speaking, the "raised lip" around the perimeter of the front baffle there is going to cause reflections of sound energy that is traveling along the face of the baffle.
ah I see yea that is there because there are covers that go on the front and also he's had these boxes for years so they had other baffles. I would have much rather built new boxes but he wanted to use the old ones.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.