Building 3-way speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,

I am helping my dad design a couple of 3 ways speakers and I have never build any before so I wanted to get your guys advice. Here is what he wants to do so far:

aJlnX.png

The parts-express account section isn't working for me atm so I just took a screenshot. He wants to do 2x 10" woofers a mid and a high to me it looks like it should be nice with 2 woofers, a dome mid and a silk dome tweeter. One very important think I need help with is designing the boxes I've only ever done subwoofer boxes so I'm not sure what size and what tuning you usually go with for 3 way speakers.

Thank You

The woofers have a Vas of nearly 4 cu.ft, which means a pair will need a huge cabinet.
They also have a peak at 5KHz because of the Al cone, this will need to be dealt with in the crossover, which is the first reason why an off-the shelf crossover is not suitable

The frequency range is 25-6,000 Hz and the crossover kicks 5,600hz and above to the tweeters I could go with a different crossover tho they have others. I'm not liking the vas of 4cuft tho I could go with different woofers. Such large enclosures for 10" woofers wow.

I actually see that most of the woofers only go to 5,000hz so the aluminum's should reach a higher frequency. I didn't think I'd need an 8cuft box for a couple of 10's tho wow lol.

What do you normally tune a mid bass enclosure to tho? I'm assuming higher then a sub enclosure maybe 100-125hz?

Last edited:
re:'I could go with a different crossover tho they have others" - this brings me to the second reason why off the shelf crossovers aren't suitable - they are designed for standard 'nominal' impedance values of speaker; a well designed crossover uses the actual impedance value of the driver at the crossover frequency.

re:'What do you normally tune a mid bass enclosure to tho?' -- I suggest you download Unibox and learn to use it

re:'I could go with a different crossover tho they have others" - this brings me to the second reason why off the shelf crossovers aren't suitable - they are designed for standard 'nominal' impedance values of speaker; a well designed crossover uses the actual impedance value of the driver at the crossover frequency.

re:'What do you normally tune a mid bass enclosure to tho?' -- I suggest you download Unibox and learn to use it
I use bass box pro I could find out I'm still inputting parameters however I thought maybe you guys could give me a good starting point and maybe let me know what sounds good.

In bass box pro I have 2 vented options one is just vented the other is vented with active high pass filter does the crossover count as an active hp filter?

Last edited:
Looking at the description for the crossover, the jumper is just for the woofers in case you want to use a pair.

..and I don't think you want the high pass option in bass box.
So what impedance would I be getting from the crossover going to the amp? I would like it to be 4 ohms since the amp is 150wrms @ 4ohm.

Do you guys think these will all match up ok?

OmMSo.png

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Without going into a lot of detail, it would see 4 ohms, at least at the low end around the woofers where the power is the greatest anyway. Your amp would be fine with 8 ohms as well.

You are using an off the shelf crossover. There are a few things you'll need to watch when you get drivers. Firstly, you'll need to adjust the louder drivers yourself with resistors. Make sure it is not the woofers you need to adjust.

Secondly, you might or might not need to flatten an impedance or two in getting the crossover to work reasonably.

Thirdly, special drivers might be a concern...that is, drivers with breakup issues, power handling issues etc..

Hi,

If you don't want to waste your money ; build a proven design.

On a budget the floorstanding version of this is a good choice :

Zaph|Audio - Bargain Aluminum MTM

BAMTM-system-a.jpg

For a proper 3-way :

Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5
Parts Express DIY Project
ZDT3.5-system2.jpg

or :

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do not buy an the off the shelf c/o and a bunch of drivers,
sticking them in a box hoping they will work well, they won't.

rgds, sreten.

undefinition (see if nothing else, the excellent FAQs)

Is there a proven design that uses larger woofers than those? My dad was
hoping for at least 10s in his speakers. I want them to use 4 ohms because
the amp has the most power at 4 ohms at 8 it's only 100w x 2.
I was really hoping to get it to 150 x 2.

Hi, the Tarkus has 10" bass drivers and dips to 5 ohms in places, rgds, sreten.

Very near your budget, see the BOM link. Won't get better bass at the price.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.