Building 3-way speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You will need some hardwood bracing ( 2*1 on edge ) just above the woofer cut-out and between the woofers would be beneficial as well.
Coffee can filled with foam and polyfill for the mid box??
A box made from MDF or ply works better but these things are much easier and will fit a 7inch midrange

Midrange Enclosure 3 Litre'
Something like that is perfect does anyone in USA sell it so I can get it faster and possibly for a little less?

ok so my dad had to buy new pieces of wood for the fronts and were just wondering where to mount the tweeter. I'm thinking between the mid on top and the woofers.
We have it placed where we think it will sound best to be in the middle. MC what do you think?
LL1sg.jpg

uSg1e.jpg

Need a little resizing there, Not many people have a 300 inch monitor O_O
The site re sizes it automatically to fit the page at least in my browser it does.

I see you have the drivers arranged on the baffle, I assume the tupperware is the intended location of the mid, and the tweeter appears to be placed up high on the baffle... Keep in mind that since these are relatively low floor standing speakers. by putting the tweeter on top you are moving the point of origin for sounds from the tweeter several inches closer to the listener. You will get a slight null in output around the x-over by doing this as signals from the mid and tweeter around the x-over point will reach the listener partially out of phase. The original simulation that the x-over I came up with is designed around, is based on the idea that you'd mount that woofer above the tweeter, so as to get better phase alignment between the drivers for most typical listening positions in the room. You certainly don't have to do this. If the aesthetics of having the tweeter on top are more important then, oh well :)
Is it ok to have the mid in the top left then the tweeter where it is in the picture then the woofers like that?

I was thinking of putting the port on the bottom right corner near the woofers what do you think?

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I would rather see the tweeter to the outside and the midrange towards the middle, but i can't model it for you, I can't run that particular program with this old laptop.
What you have there is a very 70s lay-out, especially if you move the tweeter.
try reversing the position of the mid and tweeter

I would rather see the tweeter to the outside and the midrange towards the middle, but i can't model it for you, I can't run that particular program with this old laptop.
What you have there is a very 70s lay-out, especially if you move the tweeter.
try reversing the position of the mid and tweeter
mdocod said I should have the mid above the tweeter for phase so I'm waiting to hear back from him about this situation.

Are the holes already cut for the mid and woofers in completely different places than the positions the x-over was designed around?

Kinda looks that way...
It's setup the same way they are just on angles a little. mids on top corner woofers on bottom but they wouldn't fit side by side I don't think that matters? the tweeter would go in the middle like planned. Is it ok to have the mid in the corner instead of center idk why would would matter as long as its above the tweeter like u said.

You did say mid on top, tweeter in middle and woofers on bottom right? Does it matter that the woofers are offset? I mean they are still below the mid and tweeter we just had trouble trying to fit them all center there wasn't enough room with the basket sizes.

Last edited:
My originally suggested configuration, put the wavelength size equivalent of the spacing of the 10" woofers and the mid range almost an octave below the x-over point, which IMO would have made for a pretty reasonable sounding unit with acceptable off-axis characteristics, decent driver blending, minimal lobing issues- and if you were going to rebuild that front baffle anyways, I should have suggested (did I not? I thought I did) that you double up the thickness and get rid of that recess that the drivers are sitting in to reduce diffraction issues.

With this new driver arrangement, you have increased driver spacing such that you're distance between the mid and woofers is now about matching the effective wavelength size of the x-over point. This is not considered ideal and is the sort of problem that larger 2-way systems and MTM designs routinely contend with. The point of designing a 3-way system is to help eliminate these problems. Your large driver separation here with the x-over that I designed based on a much tighter driver spacing, is more or less eliminating the benefits of having gone 3-way. If I had known the driver positions would be changing, I'd do the x-over differently.

All things considered- may as well slap that tweeter where you have it positioned there in the picture, or directly below, or anywhere in-between those 2 positions in a relative arc below the mid-range there. Mount the tweeter flange close to the mid-range driver and have a listen. This project has been dragged along so far you may as well cut that last whole and at least have a listen. They should sound reasonable but I expect that as you move closer to the speakers, and/or higher (standing up), you might get some noticeable lulls around the lower x-over point, which is a shame.

So your saying because we moved one of the woofers down offset it breaks the config? The mid is still on top and the tweeter in the middle the top woofer is in the same location as before just the other one is down farther so it can fit. The spacing between the mid and tweeter and first woofer is the same spacing they just are not directly above eachother in the center is that ok?

So your saying because we moved one of the woofers down offset it breaks the config? The mid is still on top and the tweeter in the middle the top woofer is in the same location as before just the other one is down farther so it can fit. The spacing between the mid and tweeter and first woofer is the same spacing they just are not directly above eachother in the center is that ok?

Moving drivers around on a baffle will mess with things if they've been accounted for in the crossover.

My originally suggested configuration, put the wavelength size equivalent of the spacing of the 10" woofers and the mid range almost an octave below the x-over point, which IMO would have made for a pretty reasonable sounding unit with acceptable off-axis characteristics, decent driver blending, minimal lobing issues- and if you were going to rebuild that front baffle anyways, I should have suggested (did I not? I thought I did) that you double up the thickness and get rid of that recess that the drivers are sitting in to reduce diffraction issues.

With this new driver arrangement, you have increased driver spacing such that you're distance between the mid and woofers is now about matching the effective wavelength size of the x-over point. This is not considered ideal and is the sort of problem that larger 2-way systems and MTM designs routinely contend with. The point of designing a 3-way system is to help eliminate these problems. Your large driver separation here with the x-over that I designed based on a much tighter driver spacing, is more or less eliminating the benefits of having gone 3-way. If I had known the driver positions would be changing, I'd do the x-over differently.

All things considered- may as well slap that tweeter where you have it positioned there in the picture, or directly below, or anywhere in-between those 2 positions in a relative arc below the mid-range there. Mount the tweeter flange close to the mid-range driver and have a listen. This project has been dragged along so far you may as well cut that last whole and at least have a listen. They should sound reasonable but I expect that as you move closer to the speakers, and/or higher (standing up), you might get some noticeable lulls around the lower x-over point, which is a shame.
I thought the crossover was designed with mid on top, tweeter in center and then woofers under that right? My dad is the one who cut the holes but he didn't move the drivers that much they are basically in the same order and space apart. The only huge difference is one woofer had to be moved down offset so that they could both fit is that going to be a really bad thing?

Last edited:
The 2 woofers wont fit side by side in the baffle is it that big of deal that one is lower then the other?

It's not really a "big deal" per se, but you'll have to measure the speaker after it's finished and be prepared to shuffle around crossover values a little.

I've never tried to use drivers oriented quite that way, so I can't be super specific, but driver placement / proximity will have effects.

My original thought, was that you would have those 2x10" drivers very tightly spaced side by side as originally depicted on the previous baffle, then, the dome tweeter could be tucked down in-between those 2 woofers a bit, allowing the mid-range, positioned tightly spaced but directly above the dome to have a center-to-center spacing from the 2 woofers of around 11-12" by my rough estimation. The new configuration, based on the way it appears, puts around 20" of separation from the center of that lower woofer to the center of that midrange. That's almost an entire octave difference from the original plan.. It will still work, it's just not as good as it could have been.

Port position doesn't matter much here.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.