Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

The V3 is fine and still sounding glorious. One small thing - there is a soft pop that appears at the first flow of signal at the beginning of each listening session. It sounds like the DAC is almost in a ready state and is fully activated (and remains so) when a signal current flows. It is not anything powerful enough to be destructive but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed something similar - or if that's in the design.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No worries , we are in another segment Doede. I was just thinking you finally saw the light and had built a Subbu V3 DAC :) It can be built for just a bit more than the price of one of the needed output caps for the DDDAC 1794. The DDDAC 1794 should sound better but I never heard one. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I don't know, my telepathic capabilities have somewhat diminished with the years. I do recall you have an earth/GND/PE problem that needed to be solved. If that problem is still there many strange things can occur. Tried to found out but you did not reply then. I am sure you do have a problem in the house wiring or the PE connection of your gear.

The ES9023 de-mutes but I never found it something irritating/annoying/disturbing.

Last edited:
STOP BEING so JP and answer my question please :D Should I be looking for something to fix?:magnify:

Edit: OK, as I said it is a small thing. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that could grow into a real problem.:up:

Edit: Edit; We are playing post tag. :D All the grounding problems have been solved and they had nothing to do with the V3.

In the U.S we use JP as both a proper noun and an adjective.:)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The day I stop being so is the day I stop breathing I guess.

In Europe we only fix stuff that is broken Bob ;) Just teasing. I really lack time to do audio stuff now but when I have time again I will listen carefully to check the effect you describe.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
. . . One small thing - there is a soft pop that appears at the first flow of signal at the beginning of each listening session. . . . I'm curious if anyone else has noticed something similar - or if that's in the design.

Never experienced this with the V2.6 or V3 DAC. It must be something specific to your system or build. Can you remind us what source you are using to feed the DAC?
---Gary

Hey Gary, It's really not a big problem specially now that I understand there is an embedded mute in the ES9023. That's exactly what it sounds like. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't fried something during the build that could lead to problems later.

This is truly TMI, but I'm using BNC from a PC and sometimes there is a noise when the windows drivers activate. What attracted my attention was those times the source had been on and stable, but for any given reason the DAC was taken out and then put back in (or power cycled). That little noise appeared at the head of the next play. That does sound like an internal mute release activated by a current - so I'm satisfied.

Thanks

Last edited:
My work requires me spending a lot of time on a computer. Convenient to play the files that are on there directly using Foobar 2000 with a nice DAC or sound card. It can and should sound great with minimal hassles. However, this DAC is probably not the right project for this type of application

Another Sonus for my office with a nice SPDIF DAC would be nice but the budget dictates spending the money on the "main" system.

My work requires me spending a lot of time on a computer. Convenient to play the files that are on there directly using Foobar 2000 with a nice DAC or sound card. It can and should sound great with minimal hassles. However, this DAC is probably not the right project for this type of application

Another Sonus for my office with a nice SPDIF DAC would be nice but the budget dictates spending the money on the "main" system.

You can pair Subbu DAC with a http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/236028-xmos-dsd-384-khz-32bit-usb.html , at least this is my plan.

Another DAC is singing right now!

This is my first DIY dac and: it has been difficult but satisfying :D

It didn't work the first time, so I was worried for Q2 :( After, I checked the voltage on ES9023 and WM8804 (thanks atapi!) and everything matched within 5%
Finally, it was a dry joint on wm8804 pin 2 (the sw mode pin, if I'm not wrong)! After that, it started to play :)

Thanks to JP, Subbu for the design & GB. Thanks to Phil for the parts GB.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

JP - the sound of V3 is truly addictive once dialed in. Changing C17 to ceramic made everything snap into place and I've been listening to it more or less non-stop since making that change. It's got great tonality and even the bass seems to have improved with better texture and definition. Surprisingly good for such an inexpensive DAC. This is some of the better digital sound I've had in my system.
Having a 2nd DAC really helps sorting out which changes are real improvements over just different. Perhaps we should share our locations so that people who are close to one another can bootstrap one another up the learning curve. For anyone in the SF Bay area, I'm glad to let you compare your build to what I've done. I'll be away for the holidays for the next week or so but back after that.
Happy holidays everyone.
---Gary

Gary,
I have an extra x7r but its 50v to use for c17. Will that work? Thanks.

x7r for c17

I have several extra values: 1uf/50v, 1uf/10v, .1uf/25v. I'll use the 1uf/50v since that seems to be favored by everyone. I have a second board and plan to try other upgrades. Do you have other recommendations at this point? Maybe I should pose that question on your upgrade thread. Thanks, Gary.

One more SB Dac to sing

I just finished the dac and hook up to the CDP at the moment because I don't have a USB to SPDIF converter yet. The pads for the Q2 were tight and the WM8804 needed to be patience, dial in the correct soldering temperature and good quality of wick to remove excessive solder on the WM8804. Thank you JP and SB to make this GB happen.
By the way, anyone can recommend a decent USB to SPDIF converter?

Sidney

Attachments

• SB_DAC_V3.jpg
    SB_DAC_V3.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 326
Just thought I would post a pic of my completed DAC. Fitted into a Hammond case (just).
Sounding superb from the off, but I have not had a chance to do any serious listening yet.

Out of shot to the bottom left are the input (BNC) and output (phono) jacks.
I used a combined switched & fused IEC inlet - A tight fit as can be seen.

I'm not sure how to post an image - If someone could explain please - But here is a link to Flickr...

IMG_0374 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers - Ken