Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
A hum that seems to be a ground loop appears on all three when a copper SPDIF connection is established.

Correct, it is a grounding issue via the SPDIF connector which is very simple but you have to search..

The Pass amps employ a common ground between the power supply and the speaker feed. Ground is ground is ground.:rolleyes:

As I write this I'm trying to mod the TORX optical converter module from the Mini2496 DAC to feed the V3. It won't answer the grounding issue but it will allow the V3 to be connected to the three power amps.

Absolutely the wrong approach, sorry. You know what the outcome of that will be. Using bandaids every day to stop wounds bleeding because you use to take the knife at he wrong side is not the real solution. I already gave some hints on the grounding issue but you did not reply. Please reread post #437. Toslink is not the real solution, it will also make the V3 less good. That is opposite our common audio set of rules AFAIK. At least it is against the design goals of V3 but we live in a free (edit by Edward Snowdon: well that's what you like to think) world so...

BTW "Ground is ground is ground" is not true in the real world. That direction is where you have to be looking. Start checking the power plugs as asked in post #437.

All this is totally off topic, not that I care much but still...

Last edited:
JP, there is no galvanic ground connection between the V3 BNC connector and it's bracket as described in that post. It's just on a wood base - no metal chassis yet. Are you talking about the other end, the PC?

I have no intention to use the TORX on a permanent basis. Just looking for a way to hear the V3 on other power amps.

The Pass ground comment came from a reliable source that helped clarify the differences between the LM3886 amps I had been building and the discrete approach. Not intended to be taken exactly verbatim. I'm more than happy to take this discussion off-line, but was concerned about what might happen with other builders with various amps.

Sorry if I've taken the thread in the wrong direction.

Bob, I suggest to draw a diagram of all connected components, including the main and the safety earth. Then follow how the signal ground "flows". Notice that your Dac now connects the signal grounds of the source (PC?) to the "line out" preamp or amps. The dac is floating, but the other components can form a second loop outside the dac.

I tested the pads at L3, L4, L5, L6 before soldering them and all the voltages checked out. Now after soldering them in and testing, board did not work. Did some testing and the 3v3OSC leg does not check out. At L3 now I only get 1.0 v (instead 3.3v). At L1 voltage drops from 4.3v to 1.7v. Any ideas?

L4, L5, L6 all still check out at 3.6, 3.3 and 3.3.

Thanks Fred, I'll do the diagram tomorrow. I'm as tired of writing about this as everyone is reading it, but I did do a final cycle for confirmation:

1. Isolated the PC end of the BNC from the chassis - no help.
2. Noticed motherboard SPDIF RCA ground was touching PC case.
3. Ran RCA SPDIF from OPPO DVD player to V3 DAC - no help.
4. Moved a completely different PC to a location right next to the DAC/AMP. RCA SPDIF feed - no help.
6. Reset music server > V3 > BrianGT amps system - perfect sound - no hum.
7. Hooked up a different MyRef FE build - perfect sound - no hum.

So there has been some "great" progress. I'll do the diagram for the Pass and FE beta amps after I catch my breath and put the server back together. :dunno::boggled:

Still looking forward to reports of other Pass amp combinations - but I'll keep to V3 construction comments unless the subject is raised by others.

Thanks All

Attachments

• 20131228_201141.jpg
    20131228_201141.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 20131228_202809.jpg
    20131228_202809.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 318
  • 20131228_203403.jpg
    20131228_203403.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I tested the pads at L3, L4, L5, L6 before soldering them and all the voltages checked out. Now after soldering them in and testing, board did not work. Did some testing and the 3v3OSC leg does not check out. At L3 now I only get 1.0 v (instead 3.3v). At L1 voltage drops from 4.3v to 1.7v. Any ideas?

L4, L5, L6 all still check out at 3.6, 3.3 and 3.3.

Q2 is not in correct orientation! Dumb mistake.

Yes. Any tips on best way to desolder Q2?

lots of solder wick and flux. Keep working one corner as clean as possible then try and lift the corner by a thou and slide the tip of a craft blade under, let it cool then work the other corners. If the XO is faulty then only worry about saving the pads

Get C17 out of the way obviously.

A piece of kapton tape or such can be slid under the corners to form a barrier while cooling.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, that was my fastest build.
Waiting for the transformer.
y5u2yhab.jpg

Finished the motherboard...
a8ahy5y3.jpg

Functional check... Check!
8a4udevu.jpg

Drill it!
vu8e4y9y.jpg

DAC sitting in the first floor
9era5edy.jpg

Done...
amenu6e6.jpg

7y6ypa5e.jpg

5yjejyje.jpg
uty9yjuh.jpg

Thank you for this great GB project.
The sound is also great, not too bright or any special coloration I would notice. Definitely better soundstage and resolution of fine detail than the Sony DTC2000ES of a friend is capable of.
So long... guten Rutsch!

getting there

Received front back plates for both enclosures so after polishing I ll do final assemblies.
Question on how to combine dac+pre+filter grounds remains open.
Or should I leave them floating and only do the earth connected to enclosure floor ?

Attachments

• 1554347_10202032961119200_415513813_n.jpg
    1554347_10202032961119200_415513813_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 130
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Guten Rutsch, Gelukkig Nieuwjaar, Bonne Année, Happy New Year, 明けましておめでとうございます, 聖誕快樂, عيد سعيد جونى to everyone.

I hope 2014 will be another year full of nice projects and all in good health of course.

Last edited: