Build This MoFo!

Here's my 12 volt MoFo. It is intended to push the limits on the small side. Sounds great after sorting out an issue with the wrong zeners. Thank you MR for a great design and all of your help.

Attachments

• IMG_6887.jpg
    IMG_6887.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,276
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,240
  • IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that's so Fugly!

I'm simply amazed with Elegance .

in fact ...... I'm always first recognizing the beauty of thinking process , leading to such result and in the end , I don't care for actual outcome itself, as much I'm amazed with process leading to it.

and Mr. MR's amp is really deserving your effort .

(naah , I'm just babbling , always easily impressed when I see some proper Iron :rofl: )

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I think this is my first official fugly.

It is a Hammond 12" by 8" by 2" chassis that's been sitting around for years since it was sent to me in error. Been looking for ways to use up the stuff in the parts bin.

Yes the case of the mosfet is the drain and live.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...20 pages of thrill pleasure humoristic, instructive and Superman DIY....

Found another tech-literature example.

RADIO CONSTRUCTOR: British electronics hobbyist magazine

In the early 1960s (have not traced the run), Radio Constructor had moved on to TV service and ran a series "In Your Workshop" about a grumpy old Serviceman and his young assistant (the usual cast in these things). They fix a few TVs by insight, and read letters from readers with handy tips. Not High Literature, and really hardly bearable unless you have sick 1960s TV sets or a dead Morphy-Richard smoothing iron (the cord strain bushing can be used to unscrew pilot lamps in odd corners).

Issues 1961-11 and 1962-02 have In Your Workshop episodes.

Refreshed by an uneventful two-day business trip to London, Smithy the Serviceman once more gets down to work, aided by his able assistant Dick. The only snag is Dick's preconceived ideas about behaviour in the Metropolis!

SMITHY UNLOCKED THE WORKSHOP door, entered, switched on the lights, and looked warily at Dick's bench. Much to his surprise it was newly dusted down and tidy. Smithy's eyebrows rose even higher as he noted that his assistant's bench held no chassis in a state of half-repair. When, in the past, he had been away for several days, he had always returned to meet a large number of receivers on whose repair Dick had stuck half-way.
A rush of cold air suddenly blew into the Workshop, heralding the entry of his assistant. Dick breezed in, slammed the door shut behind him, and stamped his feet resoundingly on the floor.
"Hiya Smithy," he called out cheerily, as he took off his overcoat, "and how's the Prodigal Son?"
"Prodigal Son?"
"That's right," confirmed Dick. "After two days in the Big City you're bound to have something to be prodigal about!"
"Nothing of the sort," snapped Smithy. "I would remind you that I went to London on business."
Dick waved a knowing forefinger at the Serviceman.
"You can't tell me that," he said, with a confidential wink. "I know what goes on in London. I've never been there, but l've read all about it in the Sunday newspapers!"
Smithy decided to change the conversation.
"I must say that your bench looks nice and tidy," he remarked after a moment's thought. "Don't tell me that you've managed to clear up all the chassis you tackled whilst I was away."
"Not exactly," confessed Dick. "There are one or two outstanding. I thought I'd keep them on the racks this time."
Smithy heaved a sigh.
"I suppose we'd better clear them out of the way," he remarked resignedly, "before we get down to anything else. Wheel them over!"

Is that The Dude's rug in that photo?

It does tie the room together, but unfortunately is not the Dudes rug. Now I'm curious where the original prop ended up.

I do most of my mechanical layout and final assembly sitting on that rug. Soldering happens on the dining room table. I have plenty of shop space but I always end up there. I like to think that my son is learning a bit about building stuff while everything is laid out like that. My wife is very tolerant.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
me> Radio Constructor had moved on to TV service and ran a series "In Your Workshop"

1950-10: first "Your Workshop", 'J.R.D. Discusses Problems and Points of Interest connected with The Workshop side of our Hobby, based on Letters from Readers and his own Experiences.'
1956-04: JRD "takes a back seat and, as an experiment, hands over to Old Smithy, the Serviceman".
1956-05: JRD back.
1956-09: "In response to many requests from readers, Smithy the Serviceman once more takes over 'In Your Workshop'."
1981-09: last issue as Radio And Electronics Constructor, In Your Workshop still running. This episode by a different writer? Yes- it mentioned the passing of JR Davies who wrote most of the Workshop series.