Build This MoFo!

I use the BUZ900P as a SF output stage , this is similar to the 2SK1058 . Both devices have around the same transconductance which is a lot lower than IRF250 . You will get much better performance with a choke load of at least 100mH . Display Electronics used to have 280mH 3A chokes a few years ago with nice thin laminations . A bit lossy with 4 ohm DCR but nonetheless worth try if you need something off the shelf :)

cheers

316a
Any link to this choke?

I'm planning to test my MoFo with this PSU
It has after the retifier bridge 2x 22000µF caps
PSU is already tested and adjust with an output of 24 Vdc under load

Attachments

• MOFO PSU.jpg
    MOFO PSU.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • MOFO PSU regulated and high current.jpg
    MOFO PSU regulated and high current.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 1,042
Looks like Display Electronics have been bought out . electroprops.co.uk is the website but I can't locate any chokes on there

If there is sufficient interest , I'll cheerfully arrange a UK group buy of >100mH chokes from my winder if there is an agreed spec . Will probably work out cheaper than the Hammonds suggested

cheers

316a

All I could find about display electronics was the info from companies house about the company being dissolved. The company that took their stock seem to be a hire company for film props, not a manufacturer by the looks of it.

I'd be interested if you're going to wind some though. I sold my winding engine a couple of years ago and this is the second or third time I've regretted it.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Or maybe in the style of SIT-3

I think the circuit from Post #637 is going to be noisy if you try to use that with a laptop switcher. It'll be fine with a nice quiet supply of the linear variety though.

I have a few thoughts. But I need to meditate on it...and I see The Blade Runner 2049 4K has just arrived in the mail. :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the circuit from Post #637 is going to be noisy if you try to use that with a laptop switcher. It'll be fine with a nice quiet supply of the linear variety though.

I have a few thoughts. But I need to meditate on it...and I see The Blade Runner 2049 4K has just arrived in the mail. :)

657732d1516410008-build-mofo-mogain-mofo-jpg

Isn’t this like an M2Fo? Although I feel an extra 3x gain on low noise low distortion preamp is preferable to a signal trafo that pickups hum and generates its own 3rd order distortion. I have used M2 with dual 24v smps and it was quieter than linear trafo.

Strange Forest of Noise with Linear PSU

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hey quick question. Looking at the F4 manual, I see the F4 can be driven with a flea-watt power amp. Is there a power limit to the amp in front of a follower such as the F4 or MoFo? I don't have a high gain preamp yet, but do have a class-D amp with volume control. It's a Dayton Audio 40w amp. If it's not safe, then I'll skip it and wait.

thanks,

Vince

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The SIT-3 circuit as originally posted has the positive rail nailed to ground. Nelson notes that the noise rejection of the Vfets is not great and this is one way of ensuring that the supply on the drain is quiet. Or at least I think that's the deal.

Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

645788d1510686868-greedy-boy-defisit-papas-koans-defisitschm-jpg

point is having clean rail (GND ) at VFet drain , and wiggly rail at VFets's source

everything else referenced and de-coupled to clean rail

Last edited: