Build This MoFo!

I found 2 of these smps on the shelf, unopened from an abandoned GM70 project from way back.

I thought I’d see what the circuit sounds like, powered by these power supplies. Circuit shows 2sk1058 but the ecx latfet is supposed to be a drop in replacement and I couldn’t find a spice model for the ecx. It sims at about 3.5 watts with a bias at 1.6 amps and it’s very slightly down at 30hz. It looks to dissipate about 36 watts. I’m keen to compare it with the ancient 3.5 watts of 2A3 in the project studio system.

I'm currently creeping up on decoupling the ac injected into the power line via both bias lines. Any comments would be gratefully received.

I had to put the VAS in as I only have 2 volt line level sources.

Attachments

• smps.jpg
    smps.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,033
  • ecx10n20 se.jpg
    ecx10n20 se.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:
I thought I’d see what the circuit sounds like, powered by these power supplies. Circuit shows 2sk1058 but the ecx latfet is supposed to be a drop in replacement and I couldn’t find a spice model for the ecx. It sims at about 3.5 watts with a bias at 1.6 amps and it’s very slightly down at 30hz. It looks to dissipate about 36 watts. I’m keen to compare it with the ancient 3.5 watts of 2A3 in the project studio system.

I use the BUZ900P as a SF output stage , this is similar to the 2SK1058 . Both devices have around the same transconductance which is a lot lower than IRF250 . You will get much better performance with a choke load of at least 100mH . Display Electronics used to have 280mH 3A chokes a few years ago with nice thin laminations . A bit lossy with 4 ohm DCR but nonetheless worth try if you need something off the shelf :)

cheers

316a

The MoFo with Jensen autoformer

I need to get a bit more gain with my MoFo

I was wondering if I could replace the input cap with the autoformer pictured in the attachment. I've used it with the F4 - hence the designations shown

Thanks

Bob

Attachments

• jenautoformer.jpg
    jenautoformer.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 925