• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kb=Kilobits KB=Kilobytes I think that's the standard nomenclature
No it isn't. Originally it's Kbps for bits, and Kb/s for bytes. And if we go back to the calculation:
Even 687.5 Kb/s (44,000 x 16 / 1024) data rate would be enough for CD quality. That's a DSL link of 5.5Mbits,
You see the poster also meant Kb/s as in Kilobytes/second, as 5.5Mbits clearly isn't equal to 687.5 Kilobits.

No it isn't. Originally it's Kbps for bits, and Kb/s for bytes.

Actually ichiban is correct:

The symbol kb has historically been used for both kilobyte and kilobit. Using an uppercase B for byte (kB) and bit for a binary digit (i.e. kbit) prevents this ambiguity.

Kilobyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two examples that you used are identical, since both Kbps and Kb/s stand for "Kilobits per second". The "proper" way of expressing the binary prefix is KiB per the IEC Definitions of the SI units: The binary prefixes but that practice hasn't seen widespread use yet.

He's correct and incorrect. I said originally which indeed is a long, long time ago. The Kb and KB proposal was introduced much later on, but never made it to a standard as it was deemed too ambiguous. Some people started using it anyway (in the beginning most of them were using it wrong BTW) and then things started to get really messy: some even started using 1Kb as 1000 bytes. Anarchy was complete. Even later than that the IEC definitions were introduced, which indeed now are a standard but they are rarely used (and even then sometimes used incorrectly).
Regardless your generation of notation, the fact is that the text is crystal clear: the poster specified a 5.5Mbits DSL link, but there is no need for a 5.5Mbps line to transmit CD quality audio. Even without that calculation error, you can compress the stream (yes lossless) to cut back the required transmission speed.
But let's get back to the point: how could we add streaming to a BII is IMO a good question. I've already looked at a possibility to either add HQ sound using a miniature PC board or a USB board, but in general the limit is 24/192, while I would like to be able to pump data to the BII board at 32/384 max.
How far along is the new USB board? Is it going to take weeks, months or years? I'm still waiting for an AC1 to appear, but that seems to take forever. Will this be such a project? I'm a bit worried about the drivers: getting those right can be a tough job.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Doctors w/o Borders contribution

Congratulations and best wishes to Brian and Russ (the 'Twisted Pair' :D ) on the very successful raffle in support of Pakistani relief by Doctors Without Borders. A very generous, class act! ...and great job, Noah even though you didn't pick me! Link:Relief Raffle for Pakistan Let me add that the video was very effective and makes me wonder if the TPA support site could have a few technically-oriented videos for FAQs. ...probably faster and better than typing up manuals...

Again, great job TPA!

Frank in Mpls.

You see the poster also meant Kb/s as in Kilobytes/second, as 5.5Mbits clearly isn't equal to 687.5 Kilobits.
8 bits per byte, so 687.5 Kilobits times 8 are 5.5 Megabytes.

That is just because traditionally in telecommunications, transmision lines capacity are tipically measured in bits, while in computer sciences capacity has been measured in 8-bits units (bytes). Just a nomenclature tradition, you can use each other any time you want. Just mustiply or divide by 8.

Regards,
Regi

Regardless your generation of notation, the fact is that the text is crystal clear: the poster specified a 5.5Mbits DSL link, but there is no need for a 5.5Mbps line to transmit CD quality audio. Even without that calculation error, you can compress the stream (yes lossless) to cut back the required transmission speed.
You are right, but I wanted to make an apples to apples comparison, using the same PCM datarate than an S/PDIF link, no compression. But using an on-the-fly compressor decompressor would allow cheaper connections. But, onw more time, we are adding more latency.

Though I really hope a whistle brown by Policeman Brian, May I just say;

Data transfer rate of PCM Stereo CD data is
44.1 x 1,000 x 16 bit x 2 ch = 1.4112 Mbps (Mega Bits Per Second)
On S/PDIF line, as one PCM 16 bit data is carried on one 32 bit frame, frame-based actual rate is
44.1 x 1,000 x 32 bit x 2 ch = 2.8224 Mbps

Mute LED ?/Problem

Hi Russ/Brian.

My B-II is sounding great! Right now I am running it form my bel-canto CD-1 as transport via SPDIF. One weird thing, when I put the bel-canto in standby, or even power it off, the lock led goes out, but the mute led does not light. The mute led does work: if I power up the B-II with the bel-canto in standby, the mute led comes on, then goes out when putting the bel canto into operation.
I suspect the DAC should be muting whenever there is no lock, but that is not the case-should I try a reset, or?

If the 3 on board supplies on the Buffalo II are bypassed (& replaced with an aftermarket product), and the AVCC shunt regulator is replaced with an aftermarket product, is there any modification that needs to be done so you don't end up with multiple competitive supplies? The AVCC shunt regulator looks straightforward, as you just remove it and replace it, however the other 3 on board supplies must need removal of something so that they are not running as well. I realize the SMD inductors must be removed, but are the stock input caps also removed out of the circuit for these supplies? And is the output of the these stock supplies/regulators still connected to the circuit?

This question stemmed from here.

Thanks,
Anand.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Buffalo II DSD vs. Opus WM8741 DSD?

I'm almost ready to put my new Buffalo II / Legato to work and have 2 general questions for those with experience in the platform.

How does the sound quality of DSD through the Buffalo II compare to the quality of DSD through the Opus WM8741? Generalities and subjective opinions are most welcome! ;) Also, how does the Opus "DSD Plus" (software mode) performance compare to "DSD direct" (hardware mode and largely unfiltered)? Your thoughts will help me sort out how to implement DSD (needing Volumite control) in a multi-channel environment that will combine one stereo Buffalo II with Opus boards. [I can't justify upgrading every channel to B2!]. TIA!

Frank

Just like everything else its hard to touch the quality of audio you get with DSD into the ESS DAC.

Regarding Opus, I have used both "DSD direct" and "DSD plus", and as long as you have adequate analog filtering after the DAC I would prefer "direct" but both sound so good as to make that preference purely subjective. If you don't have any filtering then use "DSD plus". If you are using IVY-III for Opus the filtering is fine, go direct.

Hi,

Yes it certainly could handle that current swing, but you would want to change a couple parts. Honestly, I would not do it. You could actually get a bit worse THD in this case. Instead I would do what we do with the IVY-III

It (like the D1 etc) is AC coupled, but it could also be transformer coupled, or even DC coupled in some situations.

I am currently using 100uf Silmic II for coupling, and am quite happy with them. We are also looking at the new Nichicon silk caps (I forget the model at the moment).

Legato aims for simplicity. It is a D1 style common base I/V stage.

Counterpoint II is different. It uses a folded cascode and servo to eliminate offset, but it is quite a lot more complex circuit. It may still be offered at some point.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,

Can the Legato be used with transformers without the coupling capacitors? I plan on doing so, but I'm a bit concerned about the DC offset.

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Hi Russ!

Please tell me, if it's enough for a buffalo 2 minimal approach if I only get one placid, one non bipolar toroid transformer and one b2 kit to feed a naim nait 5i integrated amp using using a Hiface as the source? In this scenario do I need to use the shunt regulator?
Also is there any ETA for the batch of Crystek XOs?

Thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.