• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did catch this in the other thread yes.. :)

But Leon, is your BII Dac "stock"? I can only afford to build a single BII for stereo use, no dual mono's - I just hope this will present the same difference.

I want to build one myself, but as far as I see, only the BII itself comes completed, the IVY stage and both power supplies must be soldered. I have little or no experience soldering on PCB (although I practiced a bit on old stuff...) - is this possible to do for a soldering beginner, or will it be over my head?

If I start it, I'm going for a single SPDIF in (squeezebox)

edit: removed receiver questions

Last edited:
+1 ditto.

LiFePO4's directly feeding the Sabre are amazing.

Haven't tried the clock yet. Had to box up my system for a move to a new crib.

Does anyone using LiFePO4s for AVCC have photos of how you set this up? Compared to the price of a Hynes regulator they seem like a somewhat inexpensive way to try alternate power strategies. Do you pull the batteries to charge, or leave them in-circuit and just shut off the charger to listen?

It looks like I may actually take my BII out of the box this weekend and start getting it set up. Since it's still the same calendar year that I bought it, for me this qualifies as 'pretty quick' :)

I want to build one myself, but as far as I see, only the BII itself comes completed, the IVY stage and both power supplies must be soldered. I have little or no experience soldering on PCB (although I practiced a bit on old stuff...) - is this possible to do for a soldering beginner, or will it be over my head?

I was worried about the soldering part when I first got started. If you buy the proper iron (get a temperature regulated one like the Hakko or Aoyue) and use some nice flowy solder (I use the spendy cardas stuff) it makes a big difference. Just watch some how-to video's online and give it a shot!

But Leon, is your BII Dac "stock"? I can only afford to build a single BII for stereo use, no dual mono's - I just hope this will present the same difference.
It's a stock dual mono with separate PSUs for L/R (so 4 in total). I'm using the IVY3.
A dual mono setup is an improvement over the stereo configuration, but this is something you can change to later on in the game.
Soldering is quite easy, building the boards is very straightforward. Connecting them in a dual mono config was much more challenging due to the lack of documentation at the time.
I agree about the iron & solder, I'm using an Ersa soldering station with Stannol solder and esp. the right solder makes things very easy. Work fast and neat, and before you start populating the boards shortly tip the opamps' legs on the boards. Their solder can develop fractures during (rough) shipping, and it's not easy to correct this after building the boards.

P.S. You can reach me on the other board also, and I'm less than an hours drive away.

before you start populating the boards shortly tip the opamps' legs on the boards

For a soldering beginner, I would highly recommend NOT doing this. While you may have received a board with a bad solder joint, 99.99% of the boards (many hundreds) have no issues, and you are more likely to cause damage than anything else.

If you are just getting started with soldering, I recommend a cheaper soldering station, like a Weller WLC-100. I used one for many years for everything, including SMD work. I only stopped using it when the iron finally died.

For solder, I highly recommend Kester no-clean 63/37 .015" (24-6337-8806 Kester Solder, Fluxes & Accessories). Great stuff, use it on everything, small enough to easily solder SMD by hand, and no clean so you don;t need to worry about the rosin eating holes in your work.

For a beginner you may be right. Unfortunately 0.01% (or rather 0.12% as I had a total of 12 PCBs) is more than enough for me to get a bad one. I'm just that lucky. Knowing it (or rather realizing the risk) beforehand would have saved me quite a few weeks of waiting. And money.
A no-clean type solder certainly is a good idea, even though isopropyl alcohol isn't that expensive. I always clean the PCB anyway as it does look better after a good cleanup.

Out of curiosity (I don't own a meaningful quantity of 352.8k+ material), does the "older" Buffalo II have trouble playing such files?
Please remember that my experience on 352.8 kHz/24 bit I2S source device is only limited to Chiaki's SDTrans192 and "Over sampling mode" is selected on ES9018 chip. For the I2S signals from the source, both TPA Buffalo32s & Buffalo II and ESS ES9018 Evaluation Board suffer continuous noises with the master clock of 80 MHz. When we use 96 MHz or 100 MHz one, we can eliminate the noise.
Of course, you may think the quality of I2S signals of SDTrans192 on 352.8 kHz/24 bit play is not good enough. We are not sure on this point.

Hi Russ

Came across this, posted by a user of Sabre chips-

......we can no longer guarantee stability of 192kHz support .....This is due to a design defect within the ESS DAC’s SPDIF receiver circuit that only became apparent once more units where released into the field, previous to its release, 192kHz functionality was only tested on our Audio Precision test sets (its not like we have any other 192 kHz sources, apart from our “Julia” sound card in the PC) – these have “conformal outputs” high grade outputs, which explains why ESS also missed this issue (they qualified there IC design using the AP).

ESS have confirmed the design issue, thanks! – but have also confirmed no solution with current silicon or any form of compensation – we are on our own… (Thanks for the support guys - how much are you selling this chip for??? call this professional service???) - (Public rant over)!

The issue stems from the method used by the ESS’s internal SPDIF receiver circuit block to extract the SPDIF serial data without the use of a recovered clocked. As ESS use the same IP design block on the 9012, 9016 & 9018 DAC designs – its common to all of there Saber32 devices.

The issue only affects input sampling rate’s ABOVE 176.4 kHz – so 192 kHz functionality cannot be guaranteed.

192 kHz does function if you have fast clean pulse edges on your SPDIF signal (with transitional edge dead time’s of less then say 5ns). For EMC reasons, most SPDIF outputs are slugged (slowed down) – thus resulting in pulse edge distortion, which upset’s the ESS DAC in 192 kHz mode.

The issue is not really with the SPDIF source, you cannot realistically expect or require CE manufacturers to design SPDIF outputs with transition edge times of less then 5nS – it’s really a design failing in the ESS DAC, and one we can do little to resolve externally, without using an external SPDIF receiver.

So the design “supports” 192 kHz, but the VERY best of luck in getting it to work with consumer grade equipment. I don’t really see it as a show stopper, when was the first time that most people bought 192 kHz material?

posted here-

At last...................... - Page 30 - pink fish media

Is this true, and were you aware of it? Apologies if this is well known to all, except me :(

Paul

Hi Russ

Came across this, posted by a user of Sabre chips-

posted here-

At last...................... - Page 30 - pink fish media

Is this true, and were you aware of it? Apologies if this is well known to all, except me :(

Paul

I use 192khz 24bit from SPDIF regularly, but it may be that my sources have fast enough edge transitions. I have *never* had a problem with that.

I would never suggest SPDIF for high speed in any case. I2S is much better suited to the task. This is the reason we use it on our new USB module.

As for the 80mhz vs 100mhz. I have used both successfully with 352.8khz signals. But those were generated signals, not from any music source. Because some folks have noted that the ESS chip is more forgiving at high sample rates with a fast clock we decided to increase the speed. There is not really any good reason not to move up in speed, so we did it.

There is nothing more too it than that. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.