Back Loaded Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did anyone ever build these?

Is this the final product you have talked about in this thread Helmut?
SCAN0018.jpg

The middle picture looks like something I could easily fit in my living room.

-6db at 30hz is more than enough for me. That means I could use this design without a sub. PERFECTO Now how high did you say this thing could go to?

Has anyone tried the RADIAN 760 or Faital Pro HF200 down to 500hz?

SO far I will have to wait a few more months before building anything but I would love to build something like this middle picture. I think I would use the Beyma 15" driver possibly and the Faital Pro or Radian.

Always difficult knowing if something will achieve the pants flapping mid bass I like. I am not saying I want a huge hump in freq. response but if there is a very forceful tactile explosion of sound I would like to feel it instead of just hearing it.

Helmut in your middle pic what is the width dimensions of your cabinet?
Cut off of 50Hz is often the limit with a backloaded horn. No real subbas and high efficient around 100Hz punchy. Here a fostex design to copy. http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/208ez_enclrev.pdf
or this one
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/206e_enclrev.pdf

You can free download horn response and simulate your driver.

A lot smaller is a bas-reflex tractrix combination as show in in this threat.

Last edited:
I wondered what the finished product would look like in your 122 post?

I am still really liking your Fatboy and MKII. All great looking designs. Do all these designs allow for high spl or no?

I am guessing not which would be fine. Sometimes I crank the volume to hear my speakers outside and thats how I damaged my budget SLA's. They stil sound fine at low volumes but when the voule is turned up you can here the damaged tweeters.

I wondered what the finished product would look like in your 122 post?
like this
P1010580.jpg

I am still really liking your Fatboy and MKII. All great looking designs. Do all these designs allow for high spl or no?
I like the fat boy design as well High SPL I never got futher than 94dB 1Wmtr simulation but wih a cut of at 30Hz pretty loud. Loud enough for 10W amplifier.

I am guessing not which would be fine. Sometimes I crank the volume to hear my speakers outside and thats how I damaged my budget SLA's. They stil sound fine at low volumes but when the voule is turned up you can here the damaged tweeters.
Easy way is to use two 12" woofers BR with a 1" horn tweeter 1kHz up. Or a 1,4" of fatial pro 600Hz up. Then you have about 98-100dB 1wmtr and cut off at 40Hz.

Like this 2X spa10pa (80euro) 140liter BR and Faital PRO HF144 1,4" and horn Faital PRO LTH142 Horn 1,4" 60° x 50°. Or a nice one from jmmc.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 19.53.28.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 19.53.28.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 19.52.48.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 19.52.48.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
My simulation of the spa10pa isn't right to big volume. This one is better and smaller isn't that great.
Will be great project because of low cost and high value. two woofers 82euro 1,4" driver 171euro and horn 45euro. Total 298 euro one speaker! That probably 1/5 of the price of a comparable system.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 20.38.09.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 20.38.09.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 20.43.44.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 20.43.44.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 20.45.50.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-09-13 om 20.45.50.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
When I mentioned doing a dual driver some others mentioned just building a cabinet like the KLF-30 from Klipsch.
KLF-30
I was already looking at dual twelves and 1.4/2"cd a while ago but just never knew which or what?

Hard to decide on which when there are so many designs and you cant hear them all before building
That way of making a loudspeaker helps to keep them small and have good efficiency and sub-bas.

When you want small enclosure and high efficiency this is the best way.

A horn driver combo sugguestionhttp://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/precision-transducers/neodymium-compression-drivers/nd350-h, supertweeter http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/CP21F.pdf
For three way.

The real challenge is to get good tonal balance and phase and directivety to gather with the filter to get good sound. That takes tme and you have to make cost and invest a lot of test time.

Last edited:
Do any of the Audio Nirvana drivers produce any real SPL or are they sound quality engineered?

I looked at some of the designs from Fostex and Audio Nirvana and liked the way the look but moist of the drivers only have 1-2mm Xmax. SO I just wondered on using those drivers also.

Did you make the horn yourself with the picture in post #125?

MKII with atleast the 12" driver seems it would have ample impact and dynamic sounds for the lows. Are there any dual driver MKII's for the lows and then a full range driver?

I am sure dual 12's I would be happy with the amount of bass and impact they can produce. Would this have much impact in sound or is it not intended to be played loud?
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/cus131t.jpg

Do any of the Audio Nirvana drivers produce any real SPL or are they sound quality engineered?

I looked at some of the designs from Fostex and Audio Nirvana and liked the way the look but moist of the drivers only have 1-2mm Xmax. SO I just wondered on using those drivers also.

Did you make the horn yourself with the picture in post #125?
No but your question was how it would look like.

Here another example classic altec A7. Horn loaded BR.
voicea7.jpg

Last edited:
The basis. A projec from the year 2000.
Schermafbeelding2012-02-06om170537.png

Refurbish the old enclosure. Because the veneer did not stick very well I had to pull it off.
The power of simplicity.
Schermafbeelding2012-03-04om142036.png

In the same period I designed the little backloaded horn for a friend after ten years he is still very pleased with it.
minibackloadedhorn.png

Refurbish the old cabinet is ready with fullrange. Project "Feel Me"

DSC01127.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

With titanium supertweeter.

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

Real lageschaar!
Geennaam3.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

Results
yellowline is the 2π position, green the 1π position. Beautiful flat midrange and that sounds great.

Amazingly is it sounds the best on a hypex class-D amplifier very loud powerfull still clean.
Schermafbeelding2012-03-16om160917.png

Schermafbeelding2012-03-16om162505.png

Last edited:
The basis. A projec from the year 2000.
Schermafbeelding2012-02-06om170537.png

Refurbish the old enclosure. Because the veneer did not stick very well I had to pull it off.
The power of simplicity.
Schermafbeelding2012-03-04om142036.png

In the same period I designed the little backloaded horn for a friend after ten years he is still very pleased with it.
minibackloadedhorn.png

Refurbish the old cabinet is ready with fullrange. Project "Feel Me"

DSC01127.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

With titanium supertweeter.

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

Real lageschaar!
Geennaam3.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

Results
yellowline is the 2π position, green the 1π position. Beautiful flat midrange and that sounds great.

Amazingly is it sounds the best on a hypex class-D amplifier very loud powerfull still clean.
Schermafbeelding2012-03-16om160917.png

Schermafbeelding2012-03-16om162505.png

You do great work. The colors are very nice going hand and hand. The cabinets are really cool. Glad to hear a speaker you made over 10 years ago still is standing tall. You ever thought about selling flat packs of these or a (pdf) file? Could make some really nice cash? Just a thought. Again great job and thanks for sharing your project with us.:D

You do great work. The colors are very nice going hand and hand. The cabinets are really cool. Glad to hear a speaker you made over 10 years ago still is standing tall. You ever thought about selling flat packs of these or a (pdf) file? Could make some really nice cash? Just a thought. Again great job and thanks for sharing your project with us.:D
Youre the first seem to have interest. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.