Back Loaded Horn with FOSTEX, some questions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rodeodave,

Yes, that cavity is to fill with sand bags, i'm doing it right now!

I used a foam on the front wall as you can see, but in the botton (in my case is the top) I used a long fiber damping, like a cotton. You can't see it on the pictures.

I used the #29 pieces, with spaces between them. You can see it here.

The sound, listening in the way that you see on my last picture, with no sand bags, I found that the highs are very clear and detailed, and so as the midrange! I notice that they get better during the first auditions! The bass is weak, but In this condition I cannot demmand much more from the bass.

I'm very satisfied by until now! If i'm linking the sound with this Pioneer receiver and old LD player, I can't wait to hear this with a single ended tube amplifier and a Hi-end CD player or Vinil!

Planet10,

That cavity is on the bottom, not the top. The enclosure will be on a shelf, so it needs to be upside down! The box is 20cm higher from the original project, so the speaker will be in my ears level. The cavity will be filled with sang bags.

I'll post more pictures later.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! Very much!

Guilherme

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Guijs said:
That cavity is on the bottom, not the top. The enclosure will be on a shelf, so it needs to be upside down! The box is 20cm higher from the original project, so the speaker will be in my ears level. The cavity will be filled with sang bags.

I saw the pic below before your response... it was all i needed to understand completely.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Guijs said:
As you can see how my speakers will be disposed in the room, do you think that i'm doing right going with the original Fostex plan, or it will be better going with the Bushorns mkII?

I can't comment on the horns you built, but my experince with the one Fostex horn i did build has not been outstanding (i haven't given up on it).

The B-Horn II is a known entity to me. I know it works well.

As to bass. The 108es needs a couple hundred hours on it before its bass comes to the fore (and it will never produce lots of bass in the B-Horn or the Fostex. When fresh you should expect very little bass. The lack of bass is what is promting Chris & i to come up with a new design that is closer to a consistent horn than the TL/Horn hybrids that the Fostex & Buschorn represent -- the Qt on the FE108ES is quite low.

dave

PS: a current amp would help in the bass, but you might soon run into excursion issues. What amp are you using?

Dave,

I changed the cheap optical cable I was using by a cheap Analogic RCA cable and the bass got better. You're right, I need to wait for the speaker to burn in before worry about BASS.

I'll wait for the speaker break in and then i'll test some tube amplifiers. If I still feel that I need more bass, i'll try the Buschorn mk2.

PS: "Current amp" do you mean a tube amplifier? At the moment i'm using just a Pioneer RECEIVER with an old LD player. I'll use these equipments during the break in period, and then start to try some tube amplifiers.

Thanks

Rodeodave said:
I can see that you are using the original parts (#29) to fill the compression-chamber. Are there spaces between them so that they fit the 170mm? I'm thinking about using two 170mm wide pieces instead. But I'm not sure yet...

Hi,

You can use just two 170mm wide pieces. I did it also like that. The only reason the used the 6 pieces instead that they didn't fit in the original cutting plan.
Hope to see some pictures soon.
Here are some pictures of the speaker I build.

Alexander

Attachments

• fostex intern.jpg
    fostex intern.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 815
I do not want earth shaking bass. But i now that I feel this lack of bass because the driver is very new, and I'm playing it with a poor amplifier. I'll have a tube amplifier very soon to run these babies!

Do you guys thing that the B-horn will work upside down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.